The Ten MANLIEST Firearms

3 for 10!! How'd I do?!?
5 of 10 here but I probably go two back (-2) for picking up a 1911 .38 Super Auto off of GunBroker.Com last week (hey, I got a deal I could not pass it up for $200 NIB) and for using a Daewoo DP51 9MM for my carry!

Three. Although my 44 mag is a Lou Horton special with a rounded grip and a short, 2and half inch barrel. Does that still count?

Well I'm not in to rifles so I barely score having only a 1911.. I also think he is an over macho B.S.er.

The Springer XD has it all over the Glocks, and yes, I had a Glock. Dumped it for the XD.

Also his comments on 9 mm sound like the typical Olde Pharte who hasn't learned anything new since he first developed prejudices, and his example of the Military proves nothing. I agree the 9 is a poor military caliber, but that is because they are limited to FMJ.

Given hot loads and good JHP ammo makes a lot of difference.

Check out:

Link Removed

9 mm Parabellum Caliber: (9 mm Lugar, 9 mm NATO, 9 x 19 mm, 9 mm)
One Shot Stopping Success: 63-91% (Actual)

The 9 mm cartridge exhibits penetration of 10 to 12 inches.

.45 ACP Caliber:
One Shot Stopping Success: 63-94% (Actual)

Penetration of .45 ACP is 10 to 12 inches.

Oh wow! identical actual stops at the low end, identical penetration in gel and a whopping 3.3% better actual stopping performance at the top end.

I Guess that huge 3.3% improvement is the difference between being wimpy and manly.

Well I'm not in to rifles so I barely score having only a 1911.. I also think he is an over macho B.S.er.

The Springer XD has it all over the Glocks, and yes, I had a Glock. Dumped it for the XD.

Also his comments on 9 mm sound like the typical Olde Pharte who hasn't learned anything new since he first developed prejudices, and his example of the Military proves nothing. I agree the 9 is a poor military caliber, but that is because they are limited to FMJ.

Given hot loads and good JHP ammo makes a lot of difference.

Check out:

Link Removed

9 mm Parabellum Caliber: (9 mm Lugar, 9 mm NATO, 9 x 19 mm, 9 mm)
One Shot Stopping Success: 63-91% (Actual)

The 9 mm cartridge exhibits penetration of 10 to 12 inches.

.45 ACP Caliber:
One Shot Stopping Success: 63-94% (Actual)

Penetration of .45 ACP is 10 to 12 inches.

Oh wow! identical actual stops at the low end, identical penetration in gel and a whopping 3.3% better actual stopping performance at the top end.

I Guess that huge 3.3% improvement is the difference between being wimpy and manly.

A guy I know, instructor says "9mm is 45 set on stun".

There was a thread titled 'Tales from the Morgue' on one of the sites that gave the full low down on what different calibers do in the body. This thread was led by a guy who did 6-10 autopsies a day, many of them gunshot victims.

He answered all questions and looked at things with an unbiased medical interest. His conclusions were 357 and 45 were the 2 leading calibers to use for self defense. 38 and 9mm work, but at a lesser capacity. Especially to the kind of folks who may commit violent crime.

spc

Doesn't know his guns.

1911 A1 should have been #1 followed by a .357 Snubby

As for Dirty Harry, Clint actually carried a .41 Magnum in the movie as the .44's were on back order and not available. The .44 wasn't even the most powerful handgun at the time, the .454 was.

Tarzan

A guy I know, instructor says "9mm is 45 set on stun".

There was a thread titled 'Tales from the Morgue' on one of the sites that gave the full low down on what different calibers do in the body. This thread was led by a guy who did 6-10 autopsies a day, many of them gunshot victims.

He answered all questions and looked at things with an unbiased medical interest. His conclusions were 357 and 45 were the 2 leading calibers to use for self defense. 38 and 9mm work, but at a lesser capacity. Especially to the kind of folks who may commit violent crime.

spc

I agree the .45 is better. It's the only one recommended in the referenced link when using hard ball. My point is that I don't think the difference between the two is one of Manly vs wimp.

Also my interest is SD. The .44 Mag kind of sucks for SD because it is hard to get into action quickly, and very slow on follow up shots due to recoil. That same link put the .44 mag below the 9 mm for that very reason.

I only have 5 of the 10. However, I lots of the 5 I do have, 4- Remington 870's, 3-AK47, 2- Barretts etc. Hope that counts.

9mm is a 380 magnum. . . ..

Arrr! It's ishi's guide to not-quite-so-manly weaponry!

newfoundland_F76T1098.jpg

The Derringer
I say! It's time to break out the snuffbox, mustache wax and scented handkerchief when you sport this old-timey mousegun. Not that there's anything wrong with that.​

20020-1.jpg

The Tazer
Where's the sport in a device that defuses potentially violent situations without any physical damage? It's very un-norsemanlike. It's a sad and inadequate human attempt to recreate Thor's glorious lightning-bolt-up-the-arse.​

Link Removed

Halberds
The "spork" of medieval armaments, the halberd can't make up its mind whether to be a pike or an axe. Consequently, it ends up doing neither job as well as it should. Ever try to hack up the body of a villager with one of these? Damn near impossible. Plus, those goofy looking beefeater guys hold them.​

Link Removed

Last edited:
WHAT? No SIG's?

This guy is obviously some kind of a kook! :p

Yea perhaps they forget to give at least honorable mention to some that I think should be there like the M1 Garand and the .50 Desert Eagle. I was a bit disappointed in the top 10 manly movies too. Platoon was there but Full Metal Jacket was not:eek: Who could deny Lee R Ermy's opening:

I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your Senior Drill Instructor. From now on, you will speakonly when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir!" Do you maggots understand that?

Sir, yes, sir!

Bullshit! I can't hear you. Sound off like you've got a pair.

Sir, yes, sir!

If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training ... you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death, praying for war.

But until that day you are pukes! You're the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human fucking beings! You are nothing but unorganized grabasstic pieces of amphibian shit!

Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard, but I am fair! There is no racial bigotry here! I do not look down on sreggin, sekik, spow or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless! And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps! Do you maggots understand that?

Sir, yes, sir!

Bullshit! I can't hear you!

Great Website though!:)

I agree the .45 is better. It's the only one recommended in the referenced link when using hard ball. My point is that I don't think the difference between the two is one of Manly vs wimp.

Also my interest is SD. The .44 Mag kind of sucks for SD because it is hard to get into action quickly, and very slow on follow up shots due to recoil. That same link put the .44 mag below the 9 mm for that very reason.

Sounds about right. The 45acp is considered the primary #1 cal. for SD. The 357 is placed at #2, but is rarely seen lately because of the prevalence of Semi-autos.

44 will work great but is very difficult to get back on target rapidly,,, especially with SD barrel lengths. Also more difficult to conseal because of the large cylinder.

spc

If a link for Tales from the morgue can be found it is some great reading. I just do not recall where I spotted it. He worked in Atlanta.

:)

Sounds about right. The 45acp is considered the primary #1 cal. for SD. The 357 is placed at #2, but is rarely seen lately because of the prevalence of Semi-autos......

I mostly agree. Only mostly, because I see my .357 every day. :D

Tarzan

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back