The Ruger Mini-14?

gunnerbob

PEW Professional
What are peoples opinions, experiances, likes, and dislikes? The good, the bad, the ups and downs of this weapon? Comparing price points, ammo, magizine availability? Reliability and accuracy? All of it... What say you? Thanx

The Ruger Mini-14 is a solid performer. It's a bit heavier than other .223, but not by much. There are lots of after market parts and pieces you can get which will totally change the look and handling of the weapon. I've had my Mini-14 for 20 years, and really enjoy the gun, its accuracy and reliability.

I figure there must be a reason why that rifle has been around for so long......and I doubt it's because it sucks.

A friend of mine who carries a gun for a living (often overseas) once told me that if the **** hit the fan, you could do a lot worse than to have a Mini-14 in your hands.

I don't own one myself, but I have heard from those that do that they are a joy to have and never been disappointed. You definitely want to make sure that if you were to get one, that it is stamped with 5.56mm, that way you know for sure that you can use both 5.56mm and .223 Remington ammo. Course if you get one that is stamped with only .223 Rem, you can have the chamber modified to handle 5.56mm rather easily and inexpensively, if you do it yourself by purchasing a reamer and a go/no go gauge. There is all kinds of ammo to be had, just shop around. Great place to start is Cheaper than Dirt.com or The Gun Source or MidwayUSA to name a few web sites.

Thanx for the input. I've fired one once... it was about 6 years ago. It was modified for hunting by my father with a heavier barrrel and of course good optics. It fired great, the few mags I used.

I've read and heard some negative things from some. One thing was that the only reliable mags are Ruger mags... that the other brands have feeding issues. True?

I can get the Ranch model here @ Walmart for about $620, but it only comes with a 5rd mag. Or have the gunshop on base order one with a 20rd mag for around $670-680.

I've always been a fan of the gun, I think it's beautiful... like the Garand, Carbine, and M1A. I like the gas system as well, short stoke I believe like my M1 Carbine.

I know in the past, the thin barrel was an issue... but I have to think that under normal and most abnormal situations overheating isn't likely. Like the barrel on my AK74, it's not very thick... it gets hot but not to the point of affecting the weapon.

Anyway, keep the input coming.

The older ones had some accuracy issues but the newer models have largley corected that. Ruger now makes 20-25 round magazines for them & Promags (which are generally crappy magazines) apparently makes a good after market magazine for them. I guess it's the one thing they got right..

I have a Mini-14. It is in the 580 series..Catalog # M14/20GBCPC. It is small and lightweight (6.75 pounds). It handles well. I have two issues with the Mini-14. One, it uses proprietary scope rings. That means if I want optics other than scopes with a 1 inch tube I have to buy adapters or "addons". Second, I have yet to find any magazines that work reliably that are not factory Ruger. Their magazines are expensive. There may be some other reliable mags out there but I have not found one and I have tried several "major" brands. The Mini-14 is lighter, less complicated and easier to handle than my bare flat top AR-15. :pleasantry:

Last edited:
Have had one for 8 years. Stainless steel police folding stock floated barrel 3 LB trigger pull adj gas block mil style handguard BSA scope sling. If your looking for a 200 yard or less rifle get it! Its unusaul and turns heads amongst AR fanatics however if you want longer distances AR is what u want. Prices are comparable with features AR's are the most accurate by design out of the box clear and simple. Depends on what you want to do with the firearm?

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back