The open carry gun owners starter kit

Stan45

The "Open Carry" Gun Owner's Starter Kit - Businessweek
Bloomburg Businessweek

For some Americans, happiness isn’t a warm gun but a nearby gun, one snugly holstered to the hip like a gunfighter’s. Since 2004, the most vocal proponents of expanding Second Amendment laws to encourage Americans to carry loaded sidearms in public are the devoted members of the “Open Carry” movement—an inchoate mass numbering in the tens of thousands, according to their website. The group consists of armed citizens who go about their business in public with unconcealed weapons attached to their belts wherever possible. They believe that more guns will lead to less crime.

Firearm laws vary state-to-state, but in 14 states across the country—with the right permits—it’s perfectly legal to walk around with a holstered weapon in full display. Just this week, it was announced that open-carry bills sailed through the Oklahoma state legislature. (As the Wall Street Journal reported, Representative Steve Martin, a Republican who co-authored the House bill, said: “Just because some people are not in favor of the practice doesn’t mean we should forbid it. If that were the case, we would also ban face-piercing.”) Minnesota was the most recent state to relax its gun laws, in 2005.

Bloomberg Businessweek spoke to OpenCarry.org founder John Pierce, who lives in Virginia (a “gold star” state, he says, where he can go anywhere with a weapon and where “there are no obstacles whatsoever”), and commutes to Pennsylvania for work (not a gold-star state “because there you can open-carry on foot—but you have to carry a permit in a vehicle. It’s a quirk in the law.”). From the pistol itself to the must-have accessories to an app meant to combat unjustified seizures, Pierce provided his perfect “open carry” starter kit for those who wish to legally and prominently pack heat on a daily basis.

The Gun
Glock 17

“There are a number of very popular firearms. The Glocks are some of the most popular for law enforcement and for civilians. Glock 17 is the market leader. A generalized tip: Like any other high-end tech product, when you go below a certain price point, you get what you pay far. You’re looking at a $400-plus purchase for a quality firearm.”

The Holster
Galco Paddle Lite Holster

“I am a big fan of the Galco holsters, simply because it’s what I personally wear. I’ve had really good luck with it in terms of durability. The one I’m wearing right now I’ve had for almost a decade now—worn everyday—and that includes some pretty rugged outdoor activities. Not a stitch is out of place. The most important thing that a holster does is cover the trigger and trigger guard to make sure that the trigger doesn’t get snagged. From an open-carry perspective, it has to have a retention characteristic.”

The Belt
Galco CSB7 Cop Belt

“You can’t underestimate the importance of having a good belt. One of the most common mistakes people make in open carry is they will tend to try and use a standard issue dress belt or just a work belt. What happens because it doesn’t have enough torsional tension: The belt twists and the gun will be aimed out. Also improper belts and improper balancing can cause back problems. The Glock, fully-loaded, is a decent weight. You can literally get back problems if you’re carrying every day.”

Ammunition
Hollow-Point Bullets

“Your traditional ammo that you buy for target practice is ball ammo. If you ever had to deploy that in a residential environment, that ball might go through several interior walls and endanger people in subsequent rooms and subsequent apartments. Hollow points, when they strike their first target, they expand into the first thing they strike—whether it’s a bad guy or a wall. It provides greater safety. And it helps stop the threat more quickly.”

Magazine
Galco Magazine Holder

“You’re getting into options here, but some people carry an extra magazine on their belt. You have an extra magazine that is loaded in a small sliding pouch. A Glock 17 holds 17 rounds of ammunition. Between the two, you’d have 34 rounds of ammunition.”

App
Qik App for iPhone or Android

“Some people will carry a voice recorder in case that law enforcement approaches them. The number of interactions with law enforcement across the country that are unpleasant is becoming much, much smaller. But some people like to be prepared. It’s simply to record the conversation in case the consensual encounter becomes more than that and rises to the level of a seizure. But with the prevalence of cell phones these days, a separate voice recorder is becoming an unnecessary accessory. Most people these days use the Qik application on their cell phones. It streams it up to the cloud, so even if your device is seized, you still have a copy on the cloud. If the local copy were to disappear, you’d still have the cloud copy.”

There shouldn't be any kit attached to open carry...just have a gun you are comfortable with, put in in a holster of your choice, a strong belt then forget you even have it with you. The only other thing left you'll need will be your state of awareness. All of these gun thingies and accessories will be of no use if you allow your attention to lapse...

tucker's mom~ you made me wonder if someone like me in florida where i can only conceal carry were to get an outer waistband holster and just keep the weapon and holster concealed with a long shirt or whatever so long it's concealed would my state accept that? or would i have to keep a holster in my waist band rather then over it regardless of how well it's concealed?

A long shirt over an OWB holster is considered concealed so long as the firearm is covered from ordinary observation.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.001.html

790.001 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:
(2) “Concealed firearm” means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

Don't know why but never thought of a voice recorder on my phone. Downloaded one now. It
Has Box backup. Since im android not I phone cloud.

thanks navy i read all our statutes but it just wasn't clear about owb vs iwb carry for concealed carry i was under impression a concealed gun was only iwb pocket or shoulder holster or fanny pack style conceal so it's good to know that an owb is also acceptable and lawful so long as it's not showing in any way ;)
thanks again

So for the last 18 years I have been doing this all wrong? Wow, I guess I better go shopping before I carry again. ;)

what does a voice recorder for a phone do and why would you need one?
just curious
So you can record incidents with law enforcement or any situation that you may need evidence to support your side of the story. Kinda like staying on the line with 911 in case you have to shoot an intruder. You have documentation of the incident.

thanks mellophone
i don't even have a cell phone never owned one but being pay phones are just about obsolete anymore i may have to get one as i still on my home landline and that's all the phone i have
but i really don't want another monthy bill either so i make do with what i have for now anyhow
it's an old phone with an answering machine about 14 years old and lately when i on it long it beeps like the battery is going bad so i prolly be looking for a new one soon lolz

what does a voice recorder for a phone do and why would you need one?
just curious
I use covert video and audio recorders for every minute I'm OC'ing out side my home. I even use covert recorders as I open carry while attending municipal council meetings for the purpose of having illegal anti gun ordinances repealed. And even at home I will covertly record a conversation with strangers who come to the door... While some folks would consider that to be paranoid let me offer some food for thought....

Of course it is a good thing to have a record of an interaction with a police officer... an audio recording is good but video and audio is better because it puts a face to the words... so you can prove you were not breaking any laws and you behaved in a lawful manner during the incident.

However.... please consider this...

Not only can a recording prove what happened... it can prove what didn't happen and can prove that the officer lied when he said you did something you didn't... or................

This can also be applied to anyone out in public.. suppose some ditz is offended by seeing your gun (oh hey... this also can apply to concealed guns that accidentally become exposed.. think about that for a minute... ever have your concealed gun accidentally "show" a little when reaching for a box of Wheaties?) and decides to call 911 and tell the lie that you threatened them...

So.. here is the video and audio (with time and date stamp) for all the time I was in the store .. where is the "threat" part? It's not there... someone is telling a lie.

That recording could mean the difference between you going to jail... and the liar (cop or anti gun weenie.. hmmm.. or an anti gun weenie cop) ending up arrested for... lying. And maybe you can sue them for damages incurred from their lie.

So yeah... I always record both video and audio.... but... and here is an important "but"...

Laws vary from State to State... Michigan is what is called a "one party consent" State.. meaning only one party of the conversation need give permission for a recording to be made. Of course.. that would mean me doing the recording giving permission to... record. (There are some restrictions concerning "the reasonable entitlement to privacy"... like in a bathroom for instance.) Soooooooooooooooo....

Just as I always suggest everyone become familiar with the carry laws (open and/or concealed) in their State.. and not base their decisions on what I post is legal in my State of Michigan... I'll also suggest folks become familiar with all the laws that pertain to recording.. in their own State!!!!.

But a video and audio recording in court is almost like taking the judge/jury right to where and when it happened so they can watch it happen for themselves.

And I consider that to be.................................. priceless.

tucker's mom~ you made me wonder if someone like me in florida where i can only conceal carry were to get an outer waistband holster and just keep the weapon and holster concealed with a long shirt or whatever so long it's concealed would my state accept that? or would i have to keep a holster in my waist band rather then over it regardless of how well it's concealed?
Tucker is the name of my dog. I am his mom. Use Pete Sneaky holster. I just bought one.

voice recorder is great. i have been using one for years, even in my vehicle. you never know the mind of the person in any situation. i was told by one law enforcement person when working as security officer(OH YOU ARE A RENTAL COP) i am retired military, airborne, infantry, school trained investigator and military intelligence(i still never tell the individual that) i just hold my head up and go on with my business. that was my choosing and i still respect the law and ignore anyone who have a negative attitude stoward me. that is one way of keeping out of trouble, and i am not a coward, just avoiding stupid situations.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back