"The Ethics of Going Armed"

cmhbob

Sig fault.
Great, great piece on the philosophical aspects of armed self-defense.

The high point:
You’re not the better human by not fighting back. You’re not the better human for choosing to have no claws or teeth. You’re not the better human for delegating responsibility your personal safety to some underpaid guy or girl with a tin badge. And you damn sure don’t get to claim a halo for your attitude.

This is a good piece to point people to when they ask "Why should someone want to carry a gun?

There's a linked piece there as well about situational awareness that's a good reminder.

Good point. It also makes sense to remember that it takes a while for the police to show up -- much longer than the time it takes for the bad guy to rob you of your possessions (and potentially your life).

And you are not the better human being if you have moral questions or psychological reasons for questioning the killing of another human being in self defense--what you are is a dead human being.

Well written article with very persuasive attributes on why we carry.

I can relate to the "over-educated liberal publishers, writers, and editors " attitude towards those of us who do choose not to be weak in the face of violence. The step-daughter married into exactly that particular set of circumstances with her in-laws and has been drawn into the thinking type-set. Fortunately, she isn't fully integrated and understands why her dad and myslef both carry, but you can see them shiver with distain anytime any sort of personal defense against a perp is brought up. I see them look down their collective noses at us as being "plain ol' uneducated Texas hicks", even though the wife is a High School English teacher, I am a manager in a major coproration dealing with million dollar equipment every day, and her ex is one step below VP with General Dynamics. And as a slightly right-leaning moderate, I am the close minded one?

Carrying a firearm may or may not save my life, or the life of my loved ones, but it will certainly give me a chance to save our lives that I wouldn't have had I not been armed. The lives of feral humans have no significance compared to my life or the lives of my loved ones. If I kill one of them to save one of mine, I can sleep well and look myself in the mirror with a clear conscience. As they used to tell me in the service, "they knew the job was dangerous when they took it."

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back