The Christmas Truce.

Canis-Lupus

World War I was moving towards the impasse of trench warfare, the Americans were not yet sending combat units, war had not been declared in Washington, DC, although some Americans had volunteered to go and fight as a matter of principle under foreign flags. It was still early in this 'War to End all Wars' on 24 December 1914. My Grandfather was there, he told me about it as a lad, although I doubted that any good Brit with have anything but machine-gun fire and shelling for any evil 'Kraut', and years later I read this article on paper (he had already passed away) and now it's part of the internet. This recounts what happened between mortal enemies on the 1st Christmas of World War I on certain parts of the Western Front, IMHO it is indeed worthy of note. It was an event that has no place or equal in today's brutal conflicts.
First World War.com - Feature Articles - The Christmas Truce
Fact is the incidents did happen and the brass did not even come close to liking this blatant show of fraternization, or was it a more human instinct to venerate a holiday that both sides held sacred?
My Gramps told me that 'Silent Night' sung in German sounds very much like the the English version, and then the soccer games started!
A look at a Christmas day when many warring units just quit fighting and for a few hours met each other in camaraderie in no man's land.

Canis-Lupus

Last edited:
It is wonderful story. I have heard it before. Wish the miracle of that Christmas could be in the hearts of everyone all the time.

There's a movie called "Silent Night" that's running on ION TV now. It's set in WW II and has the same theme as this, really a beautiful story.

Link Removed

Last edited:
I have thought of this story many times and come to this realization. Whether or not you believe in Jesus or Christianity or what ever, just the fact that the birty of a baby 2,000 years ago can cause a pause in a major war speaks of something of major importance. For someone to have such an effect on the world must mean more than just some legend dreamed up by a few people. Whatever your belief is you have to respect the significance of that event.

Another aside. . . Silent Night was originally written in German in the 1800s and later translated into English. The phrasing for music is nearly the same; perhaps a coincidence.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

I have thought of this story many times and come to this realization. Whether or not you believe in Jesus or Christianity or what ever, just the fact that the birty of a baby 2,000 years ago can cause a pause in a major war speaks of something of major importance. For someone to have such an effect on the world must mean more than just some legend dreamed up by a few people. Whatever your belief is you have to respect the significance of that event.

+1. No other life has had the impact on the world. More than all the armies that ever marched or all the kings that ever ruled.

It is wonderful story. I have heard it before. Wish the miracle of that Christmas could be in the hearts of everyone all the time.

+1. I've also heard it before and to me it is the ultimate signification of the meaning of Christmas. Everybody, Christian or not, should read it.

A great book about this story.

Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce
by Stanley Weintraub

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back