The Charles Kinsley Shooting in North Miami

bofh

Banned
... or even Bob Owens from Bearing Arms can't find a way to spin this bad shot by a North Miami SWAT officer:

Bearing Arms | HANDS UP, THEY SHOT: Caretaker of Autistic Man Blasted By Incompetent North Miami Cop
Bearing Arms | North Miami SWAT Cop Shot Therapist In Order To “Save” Him From Unarmed Autistic Man

or

The Daily Beast | Charles Kinsey Did Everything Right. The Police Still Shot Him.

In short, there was a man with a gun 911 call. The officers arrived and found an autistic man playing with a toy truck and his care taker trying to deal with him on the street. The care taker informed the officers of the situation and that there was no lethal threat. The care taker laid down on the pavement with his hands up. An unnamed police officer who is a member of the North Miami SWAT team fired 3 shots at the autistic man, as he somehow perceived him as a threat. The officer missed his intended target and hit the care taker with 1 shot.

Link Removed

This looks like a combination of the comply or die attitude of law enforcement and poor marksmanship these days. Neither Kinsey nor the autistic man were armed. Kinsey survived and was transported to the hospital, but only after being handcuffed which is also odd as he was not a suspect. Kinsey’s attorney, Hilton Napoleon, told the Miami Herald he is in settlement talks with the city. I wonder if the officer will be charged at all. I wonder if the officer had actually hit his intended target would he have been charged at all. I know if a non-LEO did that, he would have been charged.

Wow! This shooting is screwed up on so many levels. What the hell are they teaching these guys in cop school?

My prediction is Mr. Kinsley is going to become very wealthy. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

From Link Removed:

The officer who fired three rounds, striking Kinsey once in the leg, was identified Friday as Jonathan Aledda, a SWAT team member and four-year veteran of the department who had been singled out in the past for his tenacity and police work. Aledda, whose first name was also spelled “Jonathon” in documents released Friday, has been placed on leave because of the shooting.

Spring said that Cmdr. Emile Hollant was placed on leave due to “evidence of conflicting statements” he gave to investigators. He declined to elaborate on what Holland said.

From Local 10 News | North Miami police Officer Jonathan Aledda identified in controversial shooting:

Sources told Local 10 News that Hollant was the voice on the radio telling dispatch and other officers that someone had a gun. They said he then lied to investigators, telling them he wasn't even at the scene when the shooting happened.

They are now saying that it was an accidental shooting. Hmmmm. The gun just fired by itself? The officer didn't pull the trigger? He couldn't have, he was trained to keep his finger off the trigger until he was ready to shoot. Accidental my A$$.

They are now saying that it was an accidental shooting. Hmmmm. The gun just fired by itself? The officer didn't pull the trigger? He couldn't have, he was trained to keep his finger off the trigger until he was ready to shoot. Accidental my A$$.

Only Bob Owens from Bearing Arms initially tried to spin this as a negligent discharge. However, based on the statements made and the evidence available, the shooting itself was intentional, where the intended target was missed and another person was hit.

It seems everyone from the beginning knew this was a screw up and even before the smoke had cleared the city was talking about a settlement. I don't buy the "trying to save him" crap the police union guy is saying. It was just the best excuse they could come up with of which everyone can see right through. You don't handcuff someone you allegedly tried to rescue then let them bleed out for 20 minutes without rendering aid.

The police commander was suspended without pay for giving false statements about the incident but it is unclear what those statements were but I can venture a guess it was an effort to spin the facts to justify or cover-up the shooting.

Personally I believe the cop fired his weapon by accident. Had his finger on the trigger when he shouldn't and was probably about to change his firing angle or move to another position and accidentally pulled the trigger. His weapon was set on a three round burst which would explain the three rounds fired. Probably his first round hit and the other two impacted on the pavement over the 2 victims.

Being the police and all they can't admit they made a mistake. Mr. Kinsey's atty had it right when he said the police would have been far better off admitting to this cluster **** and saying sorry but instead they chose to go this route and probably not the first time either. The commander should be fired for lying same as the cop who pulled the trigger.

And the cops get to sit at home on paid administrative leave, sometimes for years, while the investigators - usually from inside their own police forces - come up with ways to exonerate them of all wrongdoing. Then they get to claim they have PTSD and get paid more money for that.

1. If it was an accident, how did you "accidentally" shoot THREE distinct shots?
  2. If you were shooting to "protect" the guy you shot, why did you stop shooting when the alleged "threat" was clearly NOT neutralized?
  3. If you thought the person whom you shot was the "victim", why did you HANDCUFF him and allow him to bleed out for twenty minutes?
  4. If it was a "split second decision", how did it come to be made a good TWENTY MINUTES into the incident?
This ENTIRE fiasco is a snake pit of incompetence and infantile lies to cover up the incompetence.

This debacle only confirms my equation of police unions with Black Lies Matter and NAMBLA. Some have told the union guy to shut up. I say "Keep talking, people need to know what you're REALLY all about."

Doubtless the perpetrators are UTTERLY baffled as to why people neither trust nor respect the police...

1. If it was an accident, how did you "accidentally" shoot THREE distinct shots?
  2. If you were shooting to "protect" the guy you shot, why did you stop shooting when the alleged "threat" was clearly NOT neutralized?
  3. If you thought the person whom you shot was the "victim", why did you HANDCUFF him and allow him to bleed out for twenty minutes?
  4. If it was a "split second decision", how did it come to be made a good TWENTY MINUTES into the incident?
This ENTIRE fiasco is a snake pit of incompetence and infantile lies to cover up the incompetence.

This debacle only confirms my equation of police unions with Black Lies Matter and NAMBLA. Some have told the union guy to shut up. I say "Keep talking, people need to know what you're REALLY all about."

Doubtless the perpetrators are UTTERLY baffled as to why people neither trust nor respect the police...

All good questions and excellent observations/commentary. #1 has been answered somewhere that I read, may have been earlier in this thread or another forum, not sure, but I did read somewhere that the cop's rifle was an M4 set to 3-shot burst.

The rest of your questions seem rhetorical in nature, but make good points nevertheless.

Blues

All good questions and excellent observations/commentary. #1 has been answered somewhere that I read, may have been earlier in this thread or another forum, not sure, but I did read somewhere that the cop's rifle was an M4 set to 3-shot burst.
It's AN explanation which I've seen, but I don't know that it's THE explanation. I don't recall anybody on the cop side claiming that. And if it WAS a three shot burst, why on EARTH would you fire a three round burst when PRECISION was CLEARLY called for? Selector on "3" instead of "Semi"? Just more incompetence.

The rest of your questions seem rhetorical in nature, but make good points nevertheless.
Not really rhetorical, since they all have concrete answers, even if the cops are too cravenly dishonest to provide them.

I hope he makes a SHYTE LOAD of money too!!
I hope he refuses to settle.

You try to murder an autistic man with a toy truck, almost kill me, and THEN want to violate my 1st Amendment rights with an IMPOSED confidentiality "agreement"?

I don't think so!

If I were Kinsey, I'd make sure that shepherds in Nepal say, "That MORON?" when they hear the name "Aledda".

It may just be an add-on conflict or configuration problem in my Firefox, but the above link made my browser lock-up for about five minutes before it finally crashed. I was interested in the story though, and found an alternate link that didn't crash my browser, and includes interviews and other info that I didn't see at the above link before the crash. If anybody needs an alternate link, here ya go:

Link Removed

I hope Kinsey is able to prevail in his suit against Aledda personally, but I know that it is very rare that cops aren't protected by immunity laws, so I'm a bit pessimistic that he will prevail. Unless immunity is ruled early-on not to apply to Aledda, I doubt seriously a settlement offer will even be forthcoming from his camp. What's he going to settle a personal suit with on a cop's salary? Would the union cover a personal suit that was allowed to proceed by the presiding judge? I don't know. Maybe someone else does. I'm sure the City and other non-immune entities are likewise being sued, and hopefully Kinsey will be made whole (as possible) through that avenue, but both stories seem to only be addressing the personal suit against Aledda, so it's impossible to even talk about any suits against the City or other government entities at this point.

In related news, the cop commander who was suspended over questions about statements he made during the initial stages of the investigation Link Removed.

Also, the North Miami PD set up a (voicemail message-taker) hot-line to field "public opinion" type calls on the incident. Not surprisingly, the line is overwhelmed with negative feedback. They are posting the calls on their server. You can Link Removed if you're interested.

Blues

Does anyone have any updates on this contemptible fiasco?

The cops initially tried to lie their way out of this, but having seen the catastrophic failure of that strategy, have gone silent.

The police union spokesman is such a tragically bad liar, he ought to consider a PR position with Black Lies Matter... or the Clinton campaign.

Anything new? I haven't seen anything for a long time.

Pretty much EVERYTHING the cops have said about the matter is a lie. When you make at least three sets of self-contradictory statements, NONE of which make sense, why should you be believed about ANYTHING?

The cop who shot Kinsey and the department not only need to be bent over the desk financially, they need to be HUMILIATED as the craven liars they are.

Anything new? I haven't seen anything for a long time.

Pretty much EVERYTHING the cops have said about the matter is a lie. When you make at least three sets of self-contradictory statements, NONE of which make sense, why should you be believed about ANYTHING?

The cop who shot Kinsey and the department not only need to be bent over the desk financially, they need to be HUMILIATED as the craven liars they are.

Some defense strategy is trickling out regarding the Kinsey lawsuit against Alleda here from November 4, 2016. Locals announced no charges would be filed back in August. Haven't seen anything contradicting that, and don't expect to see anything of that sort. Another run-amok cop got away with it, it seems to me.

Blues

Some defense strategy is trickling out regarding the Kinsey lawsuit against Alleda here from November 4, 2016. Locals announced no charges would be filed back in August. Haven't seen anything contradicting that, and don't expect to see anything of that sort. Another run-amok cop got away with it, it seems to me.

Blues
There are lawful ways of dealing with this. I'd be doing everything humanly possible to make the cop an unemployable pariah. I'd be crapping all over the city's and the PD's public images without respite.

The perpetrators seem to think this will just go away. I'd prove to them just how wrong they are.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back