The best place for a man to carry a concealed weapon

CRIMAR30

I'm new to this ccw idea, and I've been looking at the various holsters,and most, seem to me to be easily detected, of course, too, I'm looking for them in the pictures/videos I've seen. I'm 6'-01" and weigh about 240, is there a best carry location for someone my size? My weapon of choice is a Glock 19.

Thanks, Mark

Cross Breed between 4 O'clock and 5 O'clock. Works best for me and I'm what you would describe as "healthy" or "stocky".

Mark, the best advice I can give you is to try several holsters, and positions and see what best fits YOU. the way I carry might not work well for you. I have a few different types of holsters depending on what I am wearing or weather etc. I do carry in the same spot every day but sometimes in the waist band others out.... I use the galco IWB it is very much like the crossbreed just a littel cheeper price wise. I didnt thnk I would like it at first but I have to tell you it really is comfortable mores so then I thought it would be. I also carry OWB and wear baggie shirts or an over shirt... I live in San Antonio and it is SUPER hot here I also travel to FL quite often and carry there (Legaly) and have never had issues with carring. BUT you need to find your comfort zone and then practice your draw and stuff like that. wear your normal clothing and see how it looks..... I tell my girl friend the only time it is ok for a man to ask if this looks ok on me is to see if his gun is "printing" haha

"I tell my girl friend the only time it is OK for a man to ask if this looks OK on me is to see if his gun is 'printing' haha

Mongo like!

The best place for a man to carry is between his ears, because he doesn't have anything there anyway.

Ha ha! Just kidding. No, don't get mad! I couldn't resist, dangit.

But jeepers, at 6'1" and 240, do you need a gun? Like, a mean look and a little snarl ought to send someone running.

localgirl:217824 said:
The best place for a man to carry is between his ears, because he doesn't have anything there anyway.

Ha ha! Just kidding. No, don't get mad! I couldn't resist, dangit.

But jeepers, at 6'1" and 240, do you need a gun? Like, a mean look and a little snarl ought to send someone running.

Maybe add some drooling?

I'll agree with the Cross breed at between 4 and 5 o'clock. There are a gillion holsters out there Mark. Many good ones. I have a cross breed that has turned out to be the most comfortable. Not to mention the ease it is to draw from and re-holster. And my weapon of choice is a Glock 26.

I carry a G22 full size. Get an inside the waistband holster and carry at 5 O Clock with loose clothing, or get a shoulder holster and wear a jacket.

As close to your body as possible. Most - "most" people carry Inside the Waist Band. If I were buying my first holster. I would go with the Crossbreed Super Tuck in horsehide. I guarantee, if you don't like it, you can get most of your money back. It is one of the top choices. Get a good Belt. It is probably the second most imporant item.
Good luck!

Ok, i see that we covered the tall and stocky, what about the tall and not so stocky.
6' 1" and 180, carry is a Cougar 8000. I use a combo IWB/OWB holster. Sitting at the 4 o'clock is ok for a bit but seems to hit a nerve or muscle binding, not fun. Have thought about the cross body, right handed draw from the left, again, printing is REALLY bad. Ideas??

Try 3:30? Crossdraw (good for driving around.) is going to sweep everything as the muzzle comes toward the target. I am not sure about the holster either. Try a different holster perhaps?

I am 6ft 2 and 270 and I carry a glock27 which is the same size as Ur 19 and I use a Minotaur mtach iwb I can wear shorts and a T shirt and no one knows I am carrying

I pocket carry my 38 revolver. Im a oversize guy(what else do you expect from Santa) and which pocket depends on what Im wearing. Do what works for you and practice and be safe.

Whatever you decide, you will find that you will start collecting holsters!I have 2-3 for each pistol I own which is not a .22. Four drawer file cabinet full! Depends on what I'm wearing and what I'm carrying .

Mark a big guy like you could probably easily carry twin 1911's in shoulder holsters one under each arm. You have about 40 pounds on me but I can easily carry a 1911 in a shoulder holster with spare mags on the off side for balance. So far nobody has ever called me on it. If you use the elastic belt straps with snaps it is even more comfortable. I really like the old fashioned shoulder holster it has a lot going for it. You can draw with either hand, sitting down, in a car, if you are right handed the seat belt doesn't even get in the way.

I also have a couple of custom holsters made by the guys at TED Blockers holsters in Tualatin Oregon. One has both a tension screw and a safety strap and an adjustable rake angle IWB. I wear it behind the right hip with the grip almost vertical. It is not too bad in a car seat depending on how big one's butt is. It can be reached with both hands and it can be presented very quickly. Re-holstering is a little bit of a problem. In my opinion if you are wearing a heavy gun you should consider suspenders. The shoulder holster already has the benefit of transferring the load to the shoulders.
I agree with the advice of others to try as many as possible and see what works for you. Personally I would be real cautious of re-holstering a Glock in anything that I could not see and feel where the trigger was at all times during holstering. You may have seen the slides on the web of the guy that shot a hole in his butt re-holstering his Glock into a very worn holster while sitting in his car, a tab at the edge of holster that was supposed to cover the trigger had folder over into the holster and caught that "safe action" Glock trigger just right and bang. There is an after market DIY safety available for Glocks that is easy to install, I think you just have to drill one hole in the slide. Some people are recommending it for police officers as a life saver if a BG gets his gun away from him. I know, I know that is one of the appeals of a Glock that it is fast into action because it doesn't have a safety. Personally I am a very cautious guy and just because you have the safety doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. It would make me feel good if I had to re-holster behind my hip and couldn't see what I was doing.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back