The best place for a man to carry a concealed weapon

I carry at 2 o'clock the .45 1911 in a Galco IWB holster. I'm 5'10 and shrinking but weigh 185 lbs so they hide well. Loose t-shirts for the win.

I think we get paranoid about "printing." Truth is, unless you can actually see a working outline of the gun, it is concealed. I pocket carry a S&W 642 and the holster prints, but it looks the same as a wallet or cellphone or a million other objects that can be found in a pocket. Pick a holster that rides close to the body and doesn't thrust the grip out to stand out in outline and you are okay. Printing means you can see the outline and identify it as a gun. Most holsters mask the outline enough that you are not "advertising."

In the winter I carry a Glock 23 (.40 S&W twin brother to your G19) in an mtach IWB and a sweater over it.

Does it hide it completely? No, there is a slight bulge in the sweater, but no outline. I haven't been made yet.

The best place for a man to carry is between his ears, because he doesn't have anything there anyway.

Ha ha! Just kidding. No, don't get mad! I couldn't resist, dangit.

But jeepers, at 6'1" and 240, do you need a gun? Like, a mean look and a little snarl ought to send someone running.

Localgirl, speaking as a 6'4", 235 lb. man, most people are intimidated by my size. However, in the most dangerous situations, facing a gang in a convenience store at midnight or a group of ex-cons on the street, the person they choose to target FIRST is the biggest person present to prove how tough they are to everyone else present. If they "drop" me, they assume everyone else present will be compliant to their demands, therefore it is imperative in social situations that I be able to defend myself moreso than others around me. It's a strange group dynamic, but if you study the psychology of groups you'll find this to be very common.

So basically, the bigger you are, the more likely you are to be targeted to prove a "trophy" to the hunters.

I think we get paranoid about "printing." Truth is, unless you can actually see a working outline of the gun, it is concealed

This is so true. You have to remember that 95% of the public is not even looking for your gun - do you check others for concealed weapons??? Holster makers like DeSantis, CrossBreed, Galco, El Paso Saddlery or any reputable maker will provide good alternatives.

There are two places that people go typically wrong when they buy their carry gear: one, they do not purchase a heavy quality belt that fits the holster; and two, they use the holster incorrectly. Most holster makers design their CCW holsters to be worn at the 3 to 5 o'clock position so the body's natural hip design cants the butt into the body. If you wish to carry the gun forward of 3 o'clock, you should contact the manufacturer and ask which holsters are designed for such carry for your own comfort.

The belt is the most overlooked part of a carry rig. If a holster has 1 3/4" loops, it should be mounted on a 1 3/4" belt to keep the holster from sliding, sagging and slipping. The belt should be made of heavier than normal horsehide and have a natural "bend" to the back to mimic your body shape. A heavy, properly sized belt will hold your holster PROPERLY - in place, against your body and hidden, until you need it.

Localgirl, speaking as a 6'4", 235 lb. man, most people are intimidated by my size. However, in the most dangerous situations, facing a gang in a convenience store at midnight or a group of ex-cons on the street, the person they choose to target FIRST is the biggest person present to prove how tough they are to everyone else present. If they "drop" me, they assume everyone else present will be compliant to their demands, therefore it is imperative in social situations that I be able to defend myself moreso than others around me. It's a strange group dynamic, but if you study the psychology of groups you'll find this to be very common.

So basically, the bigger you are, the more likely you are to be targeted to prove a "trophy" to the hunters.

TekGreg, I am your opposite. I am 5'5", a little "dumpy" , balding, grey hair at the temples and mustache and usually smiling. In short a perfect "harmless" Grandpa Grey Man. I do not look at all like somebody who would be carrying a gun. I am also a 30 Year Marine Corps combat (RVN) veteran and have some LEO experience.

I probably would be the guy shooting them while they are concentrating on you and they will go down wondering "where in the h*** did those bullets come from?"

This is so true. You have to remember that 95% of the public is not even looking for your gun - do you check others for concealed weapons??? Holster makers like DeSantis, CrossBreed, Galco, El Paso Saddlery or any reputable maker will provide good alternatives.

There are two places that people go typically wrong when they buy their carry gear: one, they do not purchase a heavy quality belt that fits the holster; and two, they use the holster incorrectly. Most holster makers design their CCW holsters to be worn at the 3 to 5 o'clock position so the body's natural hip design cants the butt into the body. If you wish to carry the gun forward of 3 o'clock, you should contact the manufacturer and ask which holsters are designed for such carry for your own comfort.

The belt is the most overlooked part of a carry rig. If a holster has 1 3/4" loops, it should be mounted on a 1 3/4" belt to keep the holster from sliding, sagging and slipping. The belt should be made of heavier than normal horsehide and have a natural "bend" to the back to mimic your body shape. A heavy, properly sized belt will hold your holster PROPERLY - in place, against your body and hidden, until you need it.
I'll agree on the need to check design of the holster for where it will be used. But that is best done in person with the product. Because everybody's body is different and one size does not fit all. As for mine, it is a WB212 right handed. Their suggested locations are 1 to 4 o'clock or 10 to 11 o'clock.

I'll agree on the need to check design of the holster for where it will be used. But that is best done in person with the product. Because everybody's body is different and one size does not fit all. As for mine, it is a WB212 right handed. Their suggested locations are 1 to 4 o'clock or 10 to 11 o'clock.

IMHO holster selection should depend on body configuration, size of gun and normal mode of dress. It has nothing to do with what is "in" (popular)or what looks "cool" ( It is supposed to be concealed remember?)You must try holster (and belt) with gun in it and in your normal clothing if you intend to wear it everyday. All of my holsters are not extras but a part of my normal clothing.

Well, I guess if they were intelligent criminals they'd be international jewel thieves.

I agree with what has been said, and will share my experience. I am 6'3" and 225#, and I carry a full size XD-40 in a Sidearmor IWB positioned at 4 o'clock. You may want to consider the cant of the holster. Mine is 15 degrees forward, and I find that helps a lot with concealability. Some folks may find that the angle inhibits their draw. I do not. As has been said, try out several holsters and see what works for you. Good luck.

The best place for a man to carry is between his ears, because he doesn't have anything there anyway.

Ha ha! Just kidding. No, don't get mad! I couldn't resist, dangit.

But jeepers, at 6'1" and 240, do you need a gun? Like, a mean look and a little snarl ought to send someone running.

Young Lady, I am 6' 220 and not in the physical shape I was several years ago and I gave up on the size thing long ago. Because that cute sexy skirt conceals more dangers then anyone knows! never ever assume anything about anyone or anything you will alway be taken by the oh sh--! where did that come from! LOL

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back