Texas Law for carring in a vehicle ???

Twebster

I was told I could carry a loaded pistol in my vehicle traveling or not without a CHL.
Is there somewhere I can find the laws so I can print it ?

I asked a police officer first and he said that i actually can't keep it loaded but it depends on who pulls you over if you get in trouble. There is no point taking a unloaded pistol it will be as much use as a rock. Maybe I can throw it at them.

I asked a sheriff and he said I think you can have a loaded pistol in you vehicle if you are traveling. I asked him whats the definition of traveling and he told me 30 miles or more.

I asked the gun shop owner in town and he told me that he swears that the new law states you can have a loaded pistol in your vehicle traveling or not. That the police or anybody does not want to advertise this.

Last edited:
Here's a link to the latest law updates: Link Removed

I got the info through the Texas Department of Public Safety site: Link Removed

It looks like under provisions of HB 1815 (a-1) as long as the gun is not in plain view, you should be o.k.

gf

Last edited:
I read it differently. It states that a person commits an offence if the gun is in plain view. The whole law is regarding concealed carry.

You are correct about carrying in the state of Texas in your vehicle loaded without a chl. The new castle law allows it. There are requirements that must be met although.......You must be driving a vehicle that is registered to you or your spouse, and you must be able to purchase a handgun legally with no prior disqualifying circumstances, ie: criminal activity or other "stuff".. There is still a fine line in carrying concealed though without a license....know your rights,,,,,,,,.........

As you obviously have found out some LEO"s have no idea what the new law says. As Glock Fan said check the TXDPS site that he listed. That should clear it up.

One thing you need to be aware of is that Harris County (Houston) does not honor this law. The mayor went on record saying that if you are caught with a gun and you do not have a Texas CHL you WILL be arrested and go to jail. Basically he is thumbing his nose at the State of Texas.

tex45acp

One thing you need to be aware of is that Harris County (Houston) does not honor this law. The mayor went on record saying that if you are caught with a gun and you do not have a Texas CHL you WILL be arrested and go to jail. Basically he is thumbing his nose at the State of Texas.

tex45acp

Time to retire him. Sounds like he thinks he is above the law. Perhaps he should go to jail.

Last edited:
There is also the Harris County Constable vs Tx CHL holder and a interpretation of 'plain view' "visibility" under the seat, end result, go to jail.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back