Tennessee Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

Great update on current TN law !

T.C.A. 39-17-1359 was completely redone by SB3012 and became effective on June 4, 2010 by Public Chapter 1009 (See section 3)

Micihie.com usually doesn't update the online version until Sept or Oct

Thanks for that update Fallguy ! The new info seems much clearer on the subject of
what the sign requirements are, compared to the previous verbage.

Here is a recent picture, snapped only two days ago, of a local Clarksville, TN
convenience store sign, [NO CONCEALED WEAPONS] notice it is clearly
"not properly displayed" , nor does it have the correct verbage needed to be a legal sign,
per TN law.

1.) The sign does not specify it is posted under authority of TN Law
2.) The sign does not state it is a criminal offense to possess a weapon
3.) The sign is posted on a store window, not the door (entrance), and is also
adhered to window with a mix of other signs in close proximaty

Steve
Clarksville, TN

Here is the picture I forgot to add to previous post

Here is the picture I forgot to add to previous post

Steve

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY
HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS
BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY
WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER
STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT
MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

The wording must be precise. A sign with a picture of a handgun with a slash through it does not count.

This post (#2) is no longer correct. The gunbuster is now approved as delineating a GFZ.

This post (#2) is no longer correct. The gunbuster is now approved as delineating a GFZ.

That is correct...

Link Removed

is a legal posting now.

Also, many feel that any sign, regardless of the wording, that has the "gun buster" symbol on it would be legal. See example below.

Notice-No-Gun-Sign-K-1209.gif

So, the pic I attached above is still no good, as it has no "Gunbuster" symbol at all, it has ONLY:

"NO CONCEALED WEAPONS" written on it.

I understand per the "newest" update to the TN law that a sign with stipulated verbage has to be used, and the symbol "MAY" be used, but doesn't have to be.

So, the pic I attached above is still no good, as it has no "Gunbuster" symbol at all, it has ONLY:

"NO CONCEALED WEAPONS" written on it.

I understand per the "newest" update to the TN law that a sign with stipulated verbage has to be used, and the symbol "MAY" be used, but doesn't have to be.

Correct....

Basically if Circle and Slash symbol is used it is legal no matter what the wording is or if there is no wording at all.

If a wording only sign is used, it still doesn't have to be "exact" language, but it must contain; a) That it is posted per TN law, b) That weapons and firearms are prohibited in the in the building, on the property or the portion of the building or property, and c) That possessing a weapon in that area is criminal offense.

Of course as we all know, if asked to leave, even in a place that is not posted at all, you need to leave right away or risk a trespassing charge.

I am still unclear, after looking through countless references, about the legality of carrying a handgun in a park. I know that the State did add an exclusion to the statute concerning National Parks, but what about local parks? All the wording I find is a bit confusing for a lay person.

TN firearms laws are confusing..even if you follow them closely.

National Parks - Carry OK
State Parks - Carry OK (Note: some may still have signs that say "Firearms Prohibited", these signs do not apply to anyone with a valid carry permit)
Local Parks - Carry is legal by Default per state law. However each local government can pass an ordnance to make carry off-limits. However if they do this, the law requires them to post a sign at least 6" high and 14" wide that says "MISDEMEANOR. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF ELEVEN (11) MONTHS AND TWENTY-NINE (29) DAYS AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($2,500) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS ON OR IN PUBLIC RECREATIONAL PROPERTY" in prominent locations in the park.

One exception to the above is Knoxville City Parks...because they had an ordnance on the books before April 8, 1986 that prohibited carry in their parks, they do not have to post signs. However carry there would be a violation of a city ordnance and not the state law.

Clear as mud now? :)

:biggrin:Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess it's trial and error. Nothing is illegal if you don't get caught.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back