Tennessee Lawmakers Dispute Closed Gun Records

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Many Owners Don't Want Addresses, Gun Types Public Record

What some are calling a matter of privacy, others are calling a dangerous idea. At issue is whether or not applications for gun-carry permits should be kept confidential.

Getting a permit isn't only about learning the rules; a lot of personal information must be given up.

"You have to answer a lot of questions," said John Harris, executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association. "Like, for example, 'How were you discharged from the military?' 'Have you ever been addicted to any kind of alcohol or other substances?' 'Have you ever had any psychiatric problems?' A lot of information is disclosed on the forms that really shouldn't be public."

That's information that many permit owners don't want out there along with their addresses and what kind of guns they own.

A few years ago, all of that information was published by the Tennessean, infuriating many of the private citizens on that list.

For the past couple of years, some lawmakers have tried to pass laws to close those records and fire people who break that rule.

It's an issue that has always died in a House committee. Last year, former House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh went into the committee just to kill the bill.

His concern was one that many had: If those records are closed to the public, it could make it easier for criminals to get away with carrying guns.

"I didn't think that was what ought to be done, especially when it had been found out that there had been some felons who had gotten gun permits before," said Naifeh.

But second amendment advocates argue that if guns are in the wrong hands, it's an issue with the law enforcement, not the database.

"That's an issue of, 'Is the state doing its job, or does some public interest group need to do it for them?'" Harris said.

The makeup of the House this year is dramatically different, and Harris said the committees that deal with second amendment issues tip in their favor.

In addition, new House Speaker Kent Williams has said he will break ties in the case of some Second Amendment issues.

Some other gun-carry issues that could come up before the Legislature include whether or not guns would be allowed in bars and restaurants and whether or not to allow guns in state parks.

By Cara Kumari
Source: Link Removed

Last year SC passed that making records confidential. There were some complaints, mainly from the media, but that same media got all upset when the highway department talked about selling drivers license info to spammers. Put in a FOI letter for everyones drivers license record and see if the media has the same complaints about that.

Florida passed a similar law. A general FOI request gets NO CCW info.

Getting a permit isn't only about learning the rules; a lot of personal information must be given up.

"You have to answer a lot of questions," said John Harris, executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association. "Like, for example, 'How were you discharged from the military?' 'Have you ever been addicted to any kind of alcohol or other substances?' 'Have you ever had any psychiatric problems?' A lot of information is disclosed on the forms that really shouldn't be public."

I am sure we all want to protect this info.. after all I am sure all of us who applied for a permit answered these questions with an answer we don't want any one else to see -- like your discharge from the military and being addicted to drugs/alcohol etc... Get a life -- we all answered the questions the same way otherwise we would not have a permit.. What are you afraid of -- as for me nothing.. I retired from the USNavy and I am not addicted to drugs or alcohol and I am not nuts.. why should this not be public.. If you answer any other way you don't get a permit...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back