Teenagers and shooting,

Rocketgeezer

I was just woundering how many of you guys have young daughters or grandaughters that you take to the range with you,and how well do they shoot, I'm talking about new shooters not someone that 16 or 17 and been shooting since they were 10, my daughter had been dead set against letting my grandughter go to the range with her mother and I, anyways she finaly gave in, and we took our 15 year old grandughter to the range sat, and we all had a absolute ball, she had never shot any gun whatsoever, friday I had her over, and with my CO2 pellet pistol went over the basics, correct grip, sighting, loading the mag, safely putting in the mag and racking the gun,and she got it down pretty good, so sat we get to the range, and she starts off with our Walther P-22, that didn't last to long, I think the air gun hade more kick, she then shot my G-19, did real good, I had been shooting my Sig 1911 full size, and she says grandpa can I shoot yours, I never in my life expected a complete newcomer to do that well with full size steel 1911, she shot a couple of mags and then I tryed a little experiment,fresh target and one full box of ammo she pops into a target, it was the same sort of deal we do for the CCW permit test,she would have scored about 90% some of our local LEOs don't do that well and she never fired any weapon of any kind before,................please excuse for my rambling, just being a proud grandpa

My oldest daughter is 13. She is a great shooter, and just recently went to a 2-day defensive handgun course at Front Sight. I got to shoot the course with her and watch her excel and really have a blast. There is no better feeling. She shoots everything I have, and well, though her favorite is the G17. Kinda makes me misty-eyed just thinking about it... :)

I was just woundering how many of you guys have young daughters or grandaughters that you take to the range with you,and how well do they shoot, I'm talking about new shooters not someone that 16 or 17 and been shooting since they were 10, my daughter had been dead set against letting my grandughter go to the range with her mother and I, anyways she finaly gave in, and we took our 15 year old grandughter to the range sat, and we all had a absolute ball, she had never shot any gun whatsoever, friday I had her over, and with my CO2 pellet pistol went over the basics, correct grip, sighting, loading the mag, safely putting in the mag and racking the gun,and she got it down pretty good, so sat we get to the range, and she starts off with our Walther P-22, that didn't last to long, I think the air gun hade more kick, she then shot my G-19, did real good, I had been shooting my Sig 1911 full size, and she says grandpa can I shoot yours, I never in my life expected a complete newcomer to do that well with full size steel 1911, she shot a couple of mags and then I tryed a little experiment,fresh target and one full box of ammo she pops into a target, it was the same sort of deal we do for the CCW permit test,she would have scored about 90% some of our local LEOs don't do that well and she never fired any weapon of any kind before,................please excuse for my rambling, just being a proud grandpa

Good for you, and her. Glad you spent time going over basics and hope you will also teach her to break down/clean it. I am under the opinion that teaching kids about guns is the only way to make sure they are safe from finding a gun and having an accidental shooting. You get to teach them what it is, how it operates, and to respect it. That is the only way to take the mystical aspect out of it for them so if they do come upon one they know how to handle it or even that they should leave it where it is. Also learning to clean and upkeep the gun also teaches them responsibility, maybe that's why kids who shoot are overall more responsible and productive in all aspects of life.

Sounds like you got a natural there, hope you two can enjoy this more often now that you had a positive experience.

I took my wife and stepdaughter to the range while the step was staying with us. She shot everything from an LCP to an AK 47 and now she knows what's what.

In my experience, women will out-shoot men almost every time, if instructed correctly. They naturally have a more gentle touch with the firearm in general, and the trigger in particular.

The shooting sports are a fantastic family time activity. I started going to the range with my dad at probably 8 or 9. Shooting, with CLOSE assistance at about 10, solo at maybe 12....

In my experience, women will out-shoot men almost every time, if instructed correctly. They naturally have a more gentle touch with the firearm in general, and the trigger in particular.

THIS^^^^ My sister started shooting when she was 7-8 setting on our grandpa's lap.

It sounds like this was a wonderful experience for you and your granddaughter, I think it's great you were persistent about getting her to the range. It's exciting to hear that she is already doing so well, and sounds like this may be a hobby you two can share from here on out. She is very lucky to have someone to teach her about firearms and firearm safety from a young age! I went shooting for the first time with my Dad when I was 15; he didn't have a ton of experience with handguns but was familiar with firearms as a whole, and we had a fantastic time. Ever since I have expressed an interest. When I moved to Florida to attend college I chose a reputable firearms instructor and took some safety courses as well as a concealed weapons course. I have since been shooting with some friends that are very knowledgeable about firearms, and I went on to purchase my first firearm this past week. Congratulations to you and your granddaughter and I hope this has sparked a lifelong interest for her!

I think this is great you are getting the grandaughter shooting! Both of my kids (ages 17 and 14) have been shooting with me since about 2007 and although my daughter doesn't show as much interest as my son -- she is still a pretty good shot.

They both have been taught all about gun safety, and my son has earned his rifle and shotgun merit badges in Boy Scouts. He has also attended my NRA First Steps Pistol class more than once as a 'helper'.

For Christmas this year, we decided to give my daughter a .22LR semi-auto rifle. She is constantly wanting to shoot the Mossberg 353T I passed down to my son last year so this way they can both have their own guns to perfect their skills at the range. I think she will LOVE it -- we figured its just another thing they can do with us as a family that we all enjoy.

Congrats to you, I wish more parents/grandparents would take the time to include the younger generation so all of their shooting skills don't come from video games.

Sounds like you had a great time. Maybe it will help get your daughter out there learning and shooting also, making it an entire family affair. took my 10 year old out shooting. he's a lefty and did really great shooting my xd40 & para ordnance 16-40 and a mosin 7.62x54. this got his older sister out there and she also did well and enjoyed herself. Now their mom wants to go also. Good job to all who take the time to teach and get others/family involved in the shooting sports

I took my granddaughter, age 17, shooting for the first time when she was in for thanksgiving. I got her some professional instruction & then she tore up the targets!! She was hitting very well out to 40 feet. I had her do double taps & some El Presidente drills & she got very good at it with very nice hits.
I also had her shoot a full mag as fast as she could shoot & still hit the target. The smile on her face was PRICELESS!!!!!!!

Thanks Guys, last night she called and asked when we could go again, i did not tell her but I'm off work friday I think we will go pick her up, and suprize her, only thing is this looks like it could get expensive, LOL

I take both of my daughters...they are 12 and 9. They both love it. Daughter #1 shot every thing I own....22 rile, .22 pistol, .38 pistol, 9mm, .25 pistol. Daughter #2 shot everything but the 9mm. Both were "crack shots" from the word go. In fact, Daughter #1's birthday is next month...i bought her her own .22 rifle.

Thanks Guys, last night she called and asked when we could go again, i did not tell her but I'm off work friday I think we will go pick her up, and suprize her, only thing is this looks like it could get expensive, LOL

"Ok sweetheart. Next thing we need to teach you is how to re-load ammunition..." :)

But seriously - this could be a good lesson in home economics. "We're going to stick with the .22 this time, because it only costs $0.03 every time you pull the trigger. But when you shoot Grandpa's .45ACP, it costs $0.40 every time you pull the trigger."

OR...see if they'll give a discount on range time or ammo or something, for sweeping up brass. Just throwing some ideas out there.

OR...see if they'll give a discount on range time or ammo or something, for sweeping up brass. Just throwing some ideas out there.
I do ok on the range time, I deal a lot with one of our local indoor ranges, and I have a bunch of range time saved up, and the reloading thing is a possability, its just the initial set up money, no matter how I cut it, everything I need, all the goodies, to do 9s 40s and 45s, plus the first load of bullit componants, not counting brass is looking to be about a grand, I know if I had done it years ago I would be way ahead of the game by now, but I didn't because I wasn't sure at the time if this was just going to be just a couple of guns for my wife and I to carry and shoot from time to time, or what, now 4 years and well over $12000 dollars spent on just guns no ammo, things kind of got a little out of control so to speak, and now with the grandaughter getting interested, i would guess another gun is forth coming, she want a green or cammo something, we went out this afternoon, she shot the 40s Glock, and Sig 226, ruger 10-22 rifle, and the 20 gauge pump, guess what she liked the best, I only had 3 rds of slugs for the 20, (the range don't like you shooting shot just slugs) I think if I had the ammo she would have worn that shotgun out, LOL

Congratulations to all you dads and granddads for not only teaching your youngsters to shoot,and to have good feelings towards shooting, and most importantly positive memories of time with their elders. WELL DONE, GUYS!!!

Update, guess what guys, we all went shooting monday my wife and I, along with our grandaughter, and our daughter, who had been stedfast against it, I think after the last couple of weeks shes been feeling left out, so she went with us, and again, she didn't even practice with the pellet gun, very first gun of any kind she has ever picked up my full size Springfield 1911, I showed her how to sight, and hold the gun, and she makes about a fist size group at 10 yds, then she tryed one of the Glocks, and I said to her hold it the same way, I watched her after a two or three rds I glanced away, I got beaned by a rd from the guy next to us, when i looked back she had her thumb crossed over and before I could stop her she fired, thankfully it didn't do a lot of damage, I guess she was not griping real tight, a quik bandaid and she was back at it, didn't have to remind her any more, the my grandaughter took that Glock, (gen4 19) and proceded to make a golfball size hole at 10yds, I thought dam, I can't hardley do that, I tryed, did ok but had a couple of flyers.....have not had that much fun in a while......I spent a hundred bucks, between the targets ammo, dinner after we were done...but it was well worth it and then some

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back