Teaching someone that is new to firearms

imrambi

I am planning on taking someone to the range next week. She has freely admitted that she has never shot nor handled a firearm. She is willing to go to the range, but before we do I am planning on going through firearm safety first.

I am planning on going through the following:
The 4 firearm rules.
How to properly hold the firearm (semi autos as I don't have any revolvers)
How to properly load/unload the firearm
How to aim with iron sights and optical sights.
Have her handle the firearms with no ammo, and then with snap caps. So she can learn how to work the slide when it has extra pressure.

After the safety session, I want to take her through some accuracy drills (1-2 rounds in the mags total) so she can build confidence before she gets a full mag. (I am planning on phrasing it to build confidence and so she can improve her accuracy.

I am not a certified instructor, and want to cover the basis. I am not worried about covering state laws. What else should I cover?

sounds like a good first lesson to me and pretty much how my son taught me except we didn't use snap caps but that is an excellent idea esp so you can also feel safe around her with a gun in hand till you know she can safely handle a gun
kudos to you for helping your friend and best to both of you

Little better can be given to a woman than the ability to protect themselves if ever needed.
Your plan sounds great, and the range rules suggested as well. I'd suggest starting her with a .22 if possible to make it easier to get comfortable if she has any fear to start with.

start with the basics:

1) point the gun in a safe direction
2) treat every gun as if it were loaded
3) keep your finger off the trigger
4) be sure of your target and what's beyond
5) be familiar with your firearm
6) do not shoot it hard services/water
7) pay attention, don't be an idiot
8) inspector firearm for any blockage of the barrel/ damage
9) be sure to use proper ammunition
10) always wear ear and eye protection

then you can start showing someone how to shoot.

start with the basics:

1) point the gun in a safe direction
2) treat every gun as if it were loaded
3) keep your finger off the trigger
4) be sure of your target and what's beyond
5) be familiar with your firearm
6) do not shoot it hard services/water
7) pay attention, don't be an idiot
8) inspector firearm for any blockage of the barrel/ damage
9) be sure to use proper ammunition
10) always wear ear and eye protection

then you can start showing someone how to shoot.

The first rule is treat every firearm as is it loaded but yes correct on them lol

Definitely start with a .22 or the smallest caliber you have. Shoot at a blank 8 1/2 x11 size white paper at close range. If a revolver, shoot it in single action. Find their dominate eye. Show them a good grip & talk about sight alignment & smooth trigger squeeze. If they miss the target, do the 'ball & dummy' trick with an empty cylinder to see if they're flinching & anticipating. Make sure they have fun. Take pictures. Then go have a beer afterwards and talk about how fun it was to shoot!

I agree start with .22 to instruct without the "big" bang.
Get bullets on plain paper and not target to start with - teach the technique then work toward improving accuracy.
First couple of shots I recommend strongly 1 bullet in the firearm. This allows them to make the mistake of firing a round and in their joy of success sweeping you. If there is only one round, it's with an empty gun and not a full magazine.

basic safety, of course...
but keep it fun, people are way more receptive to a good time- and are more inclined to come back if they enjoy it.

my wife was a hard sell, lots of little lessons that were fun worked better for her..over time she decided she needed her own handgun :)

now- she's got my back..and I love it!
good luck

If you want her to learn send her to a school! Teaching family the basics can lead to issues later. You want her to lean RIGHT in a controlled environment you shoudl not even be there.

If you want her to learn send her to a school! Teaching family the basics can lead to issues later. You want her to lean RIGHT in a controlled environment you shoudl not even be there.

Too intense. Shooting is fun. Focusing on basics first time out is learning RIGHT. Don't worry OP, you will do great.
Mspt

Paper plates also make a good target. At SD range they are about the same size as the COM area. You will probably find that a lady will learn quickly because she is going in without any delusions about gunhandling being part of her DNA as sometimes happens with men. Sounds like you have thought it out pretty well.

I was able to borrow a Winchester 69A. That made it much more easier and fun for her. After the first shot, she was dead on. Up to 33 feet she was constantly at the bullseye. When we went to 25 yards, she was constantly 1" left. I could not tell if it was her or the rifle as I didn't have a chance to shoot at that distance. Her groups where tight and she enjoyed shooting and wants to go out again.

She did try my XDm and didn't care for it. I assured her that she might be a revolver gal. Thanks for the input.

For the adventure sports, the ones that can get you killed, Rule #1 is don't pretend to be an instructor if you are not so trained. I think the two of you should take a shooting class together.

I am planning on taking someone to the range next week. She has freely admitted that she has never shot nor handled a firearm. She is willing to go to the range, but before we do I am planning on going through firearm safety first.

Sounds good to me! I'm a certified firearms and self defense instructor, specializing in the training of novices and all women.

I have written a book as a supplement to those classes and would be glad to send you a copy in email. Just PM with your email address. I will be glad to send it to anyone who requests it. Only about 21 pages long, but contains a lot of things that are not often covered in any sort of firearms instruction. The first chapter is the story of the man I had to shoot to save my life. Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back