Teacher Killed In Robbery

KimberPB

"Sean has always had a fascination with guns," Mess said. "That has always worried me."
We have no way knowing if the suspect would have shot both of them at some point during the robbery. But we do know at some point Ellenberger did what he thought was best to protect both his life and his friends. Ms. Mess you should be thanking God for Mr. Ellenberger actions. It's highly possible your son's still alive today because of the price Mr. Ellenberger paid. Prayers for the family and friends of Mr. Ellenberger.

St. Petersburg Teacher Killed In Robbery; Suspect Also Killed - News - MSNBC.com

St. Petersburg Teacher Killed In Robbery; Suspect Also Killed

By Michael Sasso -- The Tampa Tribune
Tampa Bay Online
updated 10:45 a.m. ET, Sat., Aug. 2, 2008
SEFFNER - Sean S. Ellenberger was a 39-year-old teacher at a private school in St. Petersburg.

Titus Leon Hill was a 19-year-old Seffner resident who was preparing to go to college.

Their paths crossed and their lives ended in the span of a few hours, Hillsborough County sheriff's deputies said. About midnight Friday, Hill and at least one other suspect – one of them armed with a handgun - tried to rob Ellenberger and another man outside a Seffner home, deputies said.

Ellenberger, who was licensed to carry a concealed gun, pulled a pistol of his own, deputies said.

Shots were fired, and in a brief gunbattle both Ellenberger and Hill were mortally wounded, deputies said.

"I feel like it's such a senseless thing for this to happen," said Mitzi Mess, the mother of Ellenberger's best friend, Bob Mess.

"This is such a tragedy. He was a nice guy."

The attempted robbery and bloodshed took place a few blocks from Hill's home.

Ellenberger and Bob Mess were installing a stereo in a Jeep Cherokee that was parked outside of Mess' home at 5210 Orange Ave. when Hill and at least one other suspect approached, deputies said. Ellenberger and Mess and attempted to steal items from them before the gunfire rang out, deputies said.

Hill, who lived at 11902 Mango Groves Blvd., and at least one other suspect fled in a vehicle, deputies said. At some point a friend transported Hill to St. Joseph's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Ellenberger died about 3 a.m. today at Tampa General Hospital.

The other suspect had not been apprehended by this evening.

Neighbors described hearing the gunshots late Friday night but didn't see the shooting. They generally said the neighborhood is peaceful.

"It's quiet here, everybody keeps to themselves," said Darryl Lockett, who lives nearby and heard what sounded like firecrackers around the time of the shooting.

In a brief interview, Ellenberger's mother, Anne Langford of St. Petersburg, said her son taught at Broach St. Petersburg, a private school for children with learning disabilities. It is owned by a Nashville company called Educational Services of America.

Mitzi Mess, who lives in Seminole, said her son and Ellenberger had become friends some 20 years ago through their church and Ellenberger visited her son nearly every Friday night. Mess is a talented handyman, so on Friday night Ellenberger traveled to Seffner for help with his stereo. Mess, who works in information technology at University Community Hospital, was not injured in the attempted robbery.

Mitzi Mess said Ellenberger had just received a master's degree online from Boise State University. Her son and Ellenberger traveled to Boise, Idaho a few months ago so Ellenberger could go through graduation ceremonies, she said.

Ellenberger had a concealed gun permit, state records show.

"Sean has always had a fascination with guns," Mess said. "That has always worried me."

Neighbors who lived near Ellenberger in the Shore Acres area of St. Petersburg said he grew up in the neighborhood and was living with and taking care of his mother. They declined further comment.

Hill's mother didn't want to comment, said John Green, who said he was Hill's stepfather. Green said he and Hill's mother had little information about the alleged robbery attempt. He said his stepson had no history of trouble and was getting ready to take a test to enter college. The family had just moved to their Seffner neighborhood three or four months ago from Riverview.

"It's very tough because we don't know what happened," Green said.

And why did that worry her?

And why did that worry her?
Because Guns Bad, Kill People. Complete disregard for the fact that the bad guys were trying to rob them at the point of a gun.

Unfortunately, the fact remains that many people associate guns and anyone who owns more than one of them with criminals.

Ms. Mess should be thankful for his fascination with guns. He probably saved her son's life.

Last edited:
This whole thing is sad from both sides. I don't think it'd be a far stretch to say Mr. Hill was involved a lot less than we're lead to believe. He's just the one that got caught. Read between the lines but, don't think I'm defending his actions even if he really was "just there". He was old enough to know better and I would have shot him too. This is just terrible. Ugh....

HOWEVER ! ! !

We all know sheeple are going to look down on guns. Either use your soap box and educate them, hide and wait for them to vote our rights away or shut up about it! Maybe I'm just feeling b**chy today but I feel sick of the crap being handed out in this country of ours and even with a 50% (conservative) vote we're losing our rights. I know people with CWL that are pro-Obama! RUKM?!? Talk to your friends people. Don't be so d**n conservative that you do NOTHING but whine about the rights you can directly effect. Maybe the reason your own neighbor is scared sh**less of you and your guns is because no one ever took the time to say how it's NOT dangerous. We sure as h*ll know the media has no problems creating more sheeple. Why don't you take responsibility and raise a sheep dog yourself? Why should we cower because we own guns? Why do we? Why is every story I read like this turn into, "why was Mom worried about his guns"?

A child (yes, 19 is a child) was shot and killed! A teacher lost his life in defense of himself and a loved one! Are you as blind as the people worried over nothing but our guns? If you're as tired as I am about looking like a lunatic for packing than do what I do. Instead of jumping on a forum and bitching about YOUR missed point in such a horrible story; teach someone about why we're NOT crazy. Do something about it...NOW!

Just my pi**ed off $.02. Thanks for reading.

P.S. This is not (NOT) directed at anyone in particular. I've read this same story so many times, in so many forums that it needed to be said. I hope some of you get the point. The 2A is not a private club! Spread the word! Educate like there's no tomorrow or there won't be one for our rights!

Maybe if Bob Mess had been carrying, Ellenberger would still be alive and Hill's accomplice would be dead.

This whole thing is sad from both sides. I don't think it'd be a far stretch to say Mr. Hill was involved a lot less than we're lead to believe. He's just the one that got caught. Read between the lines but, don't think I'm defending his actions even if he really was "just there". He was old enough to know better and I would have shot him too. This is just terrible. Ugh....

HOWEVER ! ! !

We all know sheeple are going to look down on guns. Either use your soap box and educate them, hide and wait for them to vote our rights away or shut up about it! Maybe I'm just feeling b**chy today but I feel sick of the crap being handed out in this country of ours and even with a 50% (conservative) vote we're losing our rights. I know people with CWL that are pro-Obama! RUKM?!? Talk to your friends people. Don't be so d**n conservative that you do NOTHING but whine about the rights you can directly effect. Maybe the reason your own neighbor is scared sh**less of you and your guns is because no one ever took the time to say how it's NOT dangerous. We sure as h*ll know the media has no problems creating more sheeple. Why don't you take responsibility and raise a sheep dog yourself? Why should we cower because we own guns? Why do we? Why is every story I read like this turn into, "why was Mom worried about his guns"?

A child (yes, 19 is a child) was shot and killed! A teacher lost his life in defense of himself and a loved one! Are you as blind as the people worried over nothing but our guns? If you're as tired as I am about looking like a lunatic for packing than do what I do. Instead of jumping on a forum and bitching about YOUR missed point in such a horrible story; teach someone about why we're NOT crazy. Do something about it...NOW!

Just my pi**ed off $.02. Thanks for reading.

P.S. This is not (NOT) directed at anyone in particular. I've read this same story so many times, in so many forums that it needed to be said. I hope some of you get the point. The 2A is not a private club! Spread the word! Educate like there's no tomorrow or there won't be one for our rights!

Talk to your friends people

Friends don't let friends vote Obama.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back