Tax-free guns part of House bill

Red Hat

How many knew of this? It passed last may. Link Removed

21 May 2008

Tax-free guns part of House bill

S.C. gun buyers will be able to purchase firearms tax free during the biggest shopping weekend of the year, according to a bill passed by the House today.
Second Amendment Weekend gives gun buyers 48 hours to buy guns free of state sales taxes.
The bill, which mainly deals with expempting sales tax on energy efficient appliances, contains an amendment that waives the tax on firearms from the Friday after Thanksgiving until midnight the following Saturday.

Found some more info. http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/7157C42B-9C11-4698-A08D-093955585367/0/IL0811.pdf

Note: The General Assembly established the following two additional sales tax holidays during the 2008 legislative session:​

(1) Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday: This two-day sales tax holiday applies to purchases of handguns, rifles and shotguns and will take place every year on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. This year the Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday will take place on November 28
th and 29th of 2008. Information concerning the Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday will be published later this year.

Last edited:
Remember, you don't have to be a resident to buy long guns. If you are close to the state line you can pop over and pick a nice expensive long gun and save a group! :happy:

I read that our Gov. Sanford vetoed the bill but it was overturned. Not sure of the details of that but it sounds like Sanford is not one of us.

I read that our Gov. Sanford vetoed the bill but it was overturned. Not sure of the details of that but it sounds like Sanford is not one of us.
He is! He's signs about every gun bill that comes across his desk. For some reason he didn't on this one. Something that was attached to the bill must have caused him to Veto it.

... i heard about this a few months ago. i can't remember what the downside to this was, but it prolly wasn't worth it. seriously, you can have a sales tax free weekend on firearms without any repercussions? will it make any difference at the end of november anyway?

I think it all started with the sales tax free weekend on school supplies we have in August. Just seems kind of foolish to me, but then I don't work for the government or rely on people voting for me to keep my job.

The only real benefit of the Tax free holidays is if you buy a high ticket item. Where I live if I buy an average priced firearm around $700 I would save about $50. If I buy a $2500 firearm then I would save around $175. I'd save enough to buy a few goodies for them.

those numbers make it worth it if you have a new or used gun at the local shop that you want... to wait until the Friday after Thanksgiving... but then it might be best to put the gun on layaway or hold of some sort.

Not to change the subject... but how many of us know that if you are a disabled veteran in S.C. you can get your CWP for free?

If you are 100% VA disabled then it's free. I get mine free. Plus free hunting and fishing license, 2 free permanent vehicle tags, no property tax on 2 vehicles and no property tax on one home and 1 acre of land.

The reason I know about it is my father is in the same boat...

I ended up paying for his CWP and training... long story but was easier. But his renewal is coming up in a year or so... he does the same with the tags and other stuff. You guys deserve it and more.

If you are 100% VA disabled then it's free. I get mine free. Plus free hunting and fishing license, 2 free permanent vehicle tags, no property tax on 2 vehicles and no property tax on one home and 1 acre of land.

FWIW - I'm 10% VA compensable and my SC CCW was free.

Cheers,
Richard

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back