Taurus TCP

Sights on Target

Well, I decided to go for the TCP. I own the Ruger LCP and the Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle. Normally, I am not a fan of Taurus, but the fact that the slide locks back on empty caught my eye. The trigger feels a tad lighter than the LCP and a number of pounds less than the MDE. The TCP fit nicely in my hand, came with two magazines, and a pda type holster.

I pick this up tomorrow, so a complete review to follow.

This is definitely an interesting handgun. I have not shot it yet, but so far I have mixed feelings.

Pros:
-Lightweight
-Small Frame
-Slide locks open on empty
-Comes with two magazines
-Decent selection of holsters available
-Trigger pull is fairly light for a DOA
-This pistol carries very nicely.

Cons:
-The magazine release must be pressed to insert a magazine.
-Trigger is plastic
-The barrel protrudes from the slide in a manner that a drop on the muzzle would most certainly damage the crown possibly rendering the pistol useless.
-Did I mention the trigger mechanism is plastic?
-The slide release is difficult to operate.
-The supplied holster is near impossible to draw from. (I kind of like the pda holster idea though, but it needs improvement)

Improvements I will be making:
-Grip tape on the grips. It is very slippery.
-I may also have the magazine release latch filed at an angle to allow for a magazine to push the latch in upon inserting a new magazine. I believe it may be difficult in a self defense situation to have to press the magazine release and simultaneously insert a new mag.

Note: I carried this pistol for a few hours today and it was very comfortable. Upon cambering a round of Remington Golden Sabre, the slide became stuck back and the first cartridge failed to feed. I am attributing this to the fact that I did not yet clean the pistol, but thought it was worth noting. (I fully do not recommend carrying a pistol before firing it a number of times, but I was doing so fully as a test to see how it carried. I was also carrying a fully broken in firearm.)

Range reveiw to follow.

250 rounds of Remington UMC and 25 rounds of Remington Golden Sabre were put through this without any issue. Recoil is less than both the lcp and the mde. Both magazines will now go into the firearm without pressing the magazine release and the slide locked back on empty every time.

Accuracy was not bad at all. I could put all 7 shots on a 9" paper plate at 15 yards without a problem. The front sight is a bit hard to see, but a dab of white fingernail polish made it stand right out.

Overall, this is not a bad cc firearm, and I would not hesitate to carry this, the lcp, or the mde. Each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Well now! You really changed your tune once you put 250 rounds through the little gun, didn't you? I love mine and carry it everyday either as my main carry, or as a backup for my PT145 or PT709SS. I carry Federal Hydra-Shok JHP's in it, and I do the same in my PT145 and PT709SS. By the way, with a little practice drawing from it, you will get to like the PDA Holster Pouch that comes with the TCP... :pleasantry:

Thank you!

I have really been looking at one of these, and I am glad to hear a good report from one of my forum buddies. I have actually thought about the Titanium pistol, but am not sure if it is worth the extra money. I have not seen the Titanium model around here, at least not yet. I wonder if the trigger can be replaced? I agree; a plastic trigger on a defense gun is a bad idea.

Has anyone heard anything about a slim line (like the 709) chambered in .40 S&W?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back