Taurus tcp feeding problems.

hhofent

My sister just turned 21, so her and I just went down to Scheels and she got her first handgun. She wanted her first to be one she can carry in a flash-bang holster(believe me, she can handle a .44), so she settled on a taurus tcp .380 acp.

When we got home, she loaded it and tried cycling a round through by hand, and it caught, wedged in the slide. It looks like the round is too long for the gun. The rounds are Hornady hollow points, and the box says .380 auto.
Are .380 auto and .380 acp the same thing?
Has anyone else had this problem?
Could it be that hallow points are longer than FMJs?

We never fired it yet, and quite frankly im a little worried about when we do.

Sent from my SCH-R680 using Tapatalk 2

.380 Auto and ACP (Auto Colt Pistol) are the same. Hollow points are sometimes a little bit shorter. Did you try releasing the slide with the slide lock and a round in the mag? If you cycle by hand make sure you pull the slide all the way back and let it go. Don't ride the slide forward.

Here is a great Flashbang review too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72aeGdKmZw

Hi, as an actual owner of a Taurus TCP 738, I guess I can be of help.

First, the gun needs to be broken in. Shoot a few hundred target rounds (FMJ) through it. When it reliably cycles those, shoot at least 25 self defense rounds (JHP) trough it to make sure it cycles those. .380 Auto and .380 ACP are the same thing.

Hand cycling ammo through the Taurus TCP 738 requires to mimic the sharp rearward movement of the slide. This has to do with how the ejector works. Pulling the slide back too slowly will result in the round getting extracted and stuck, instead of being properly ejected. This can happen with some self defense (JHP) ammo, such as Hornady Critical Defense.

The magazine springs can be initially quite stiff, which can result in the top round pushing too much against the cocking rail. This can slow down the slide through friction and can cause FTFs and FTEs. Leave the magazines loaded to give them some static break-in. The magazine springs will wear in after being loaded for a month.

I noticed a rather sticky surface coating on all my new Taurus TCP magazines. I disassembled them and gave them a good cleaning with Break Free CLP. I even polished the inside slightly with metal polish. This assures that the follower has less friction.

Further tuning could include some surface polishing and edge stoning. There are a few instructions at TCP 738 reliability enhancements and Taurus TCP-738 .380 random jamming fix.. (pics) - Page 2. It includes polishing the feed ramp, the cocking rail, the hammer, the breech face, and the outside of the barrel. It also includes stoning some of the edges on the slide, the extractor, and the loaded chamber indicator. This may not be necessary for your gun and would require some expertise. Detail stripping the TCP has its challenges.

I did add a Crimson Trace CTC Laserguard, Galloway Precision :: Taurus® Performance :: TCP Performance Parts :: +1 Magazine Extension for Taurus TCP to my magazines (now holds 7+1), and a Pachmayr Handgun Grip. The grip extension really helps to get a good grip when drawing and helps to avoid limp wristing. The Handgun Grip allows for a more firm and secure grip while shooting. For jogging I am using a Rangemaxx Inside the Pants Handgun Holster designed for small 380 pistols with a Laserguard. It is $14 at Bass Pro. I removed the Velcro retention strap and the belt loop on the side that is facing my body. For hot weather I use a CrossBreed MiniTuck holster. The factory sights are pretty useless, so I added Nitesiters Handgun Night Sights. I also recently installed the Galloway Precision :: Taurus® Performance :: TCP Performance Parts :: Sweet Spot Trigger for Taurus TCP. Alabama Holster Company makes good Link Removed for the TCP and other pocket guns.

As for self defense ammo, take a look at Final Results of the .380 ACP Ammo Quest | Shooting The Bull.

Break it in with FMJs, at least a few hundred rounds and man handle the weapon during use, no whimpy hands! The previous posts pretty much covered it.

^^ yep. no issues with mine after shooting plenty of FMJs to start. i havent been able to get my hands on any hornady locally, but i have shot the PMC starfire's through w/o issue.

My wife and I each carry one as bugs and even now that our guns have had near 2000 rds thru them they do not like to be hand cycled, unless you can do it very sharply almost like if the gun was actualy fireing, load it with FMJs run 150-200 rds thru it try it with your favorit hollow points at least 30-40 rds if you have no trouble, carry it just remember they also are a little prone to jamming if you limp wrist, which gets better as the rd count go's up

Another happy TCP owner, and another who agrees with the good advice given above. I've got 500 rounds through mine and it still sometimes hangs up feeding. Most likely me relaxing my grip a little.

So far I've had 100% reliability with HydraShocks, as well as best accuracy.

My TCP .380 has over 650-700 rounds through it and runs like a champ..... Just like it did on day one.
Ya gotta shoot some rounds to break it in. Also, be aware of "limp wristing" as there isn't much gun to hold onto!
Oh yeah! Recoil can be stout!
Just sayin... Ya know?

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Brand new, mine would have trouble getting the first round to feed by hand, but would cycle through fine when shooting. After about the 3rd magazine, no more feed issues.

Hand cycle without ammo a bit, and then take it to the range to break it in.

For anyone having feeding issues, consider polishing the feed ramp. The Taurus TCP is known for its machine marks on the feed ramp. The best and fastest way is to use a Dremel:

This all being said, and to be fair to the TCP, about all the small stuff TCP, LCP, Bodyghard, Keltec, have issues, not all guns of course, but it seems like a bigger share than should be, and aside from these guns being 380 acp, the operational issues is mostly why I or my wife would never carry one as a primary weapon, even after it runs 200 rds flawlessly, and just so you all know I feel the same with my 45s if they show a propensity for screwing up out of the box, they get traded back

Rack it like you mean it. No slow riding the slide home. Use the slide release, if you can't rack it like a man. Still have troubles? Suggestions above.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back