Taurus Brand

My first Taurus was a stainless PT140 Millenium, 1st generation, before the 'Pro'. I bought it specifically for concealment due to its very light weight and compact size - and, of course, cost. It took 200-300 rds. to get it really broken in but was reliable and functional after that. I later traded it for something else.

...Later on I missed it and got another but now the PT140 'Pro'. No break-in was needed with this one, from the get-go on the 1st shot to the well over the 2k it's fired, it's been 100%, zero malfunctions. It does get cleaned pretty regularly. It's been dropped 3x now and hasn't affected the fixed sights. It's very easy to strip and I like the big dot sights. I've read where some people think it's kind of a lot to hold on to when firing and has some snap. I expect that merely from its size and weight. I maintain a solid firm grip do fine.

My complaint is the long, not-so-smooth trigger pull and the long trigger reset. I might consider a trigger job and see if it can be smoothed out a little maybe...sometime. Just got a new primary carry so this Taurus will be a BUG or a deep concealment gun if ever need be.

Got my wife a Taurus 851 CIA 2" .38Spl. I've never been one for wheelguns but I've taken a liking to it and want one or similar for a BUG. Very pocketable and I didn't think you could go very wrong with a Taurus revolver.

Reviews on the PT1911 and the PT24/7 are great. Those are, IMO, a little better crafted than the Millenium series. As I make of it, Taurus' autos may have been shaky earlier on but have greatly improved. I'd buy more.

Shingman,

Have you checked out the Taurus discussion forum?
Link Removed
Can probably get some good info there.

The only gun I've gotten rid of was my Taurus 24/7 Pro .45 ACP.

It just felt cheap and I didn't know anyone that would have carried it into a hot, dusty, sandy, muddy battlefield.

While that in of it's self is not a qualified opinion, of sorts, it's just the attitude I had towards my Taurus. When you've got H&K, Sig, Colt, Glock and some higher end 1911's it just sorta sat their like a third string quarter back in the minor leagues.

Just my opinion.

unfortunate

When you've got H&K, Sig, Colt, Glock and some higher end 1911's it just sorta sat their like a third string quarter back in the minor leagues.

Just my opinion.

Wow, that's surprising and unfortunate about your 24/7. I'd read tons of great reviews on those. While I still like the brand, I'll admit that my 140Pro doesn't shoot like a Sig or Beretta. It's performed flawlessly for me but it's just not quite as....um..er...smooth operating? Like I said, my only complaint about it is the not-so-smooth trigger pull, but I really can't say anything else bad about it.

If you've got the means to buy $600+ pistols, sure, don't bother picking up a Taurus. If you're on a tighter budget, like I often am, I think they make good, AFFORDABLE guns. With Taurus, you'll at least get what you paid for or more.

New Taurus Owner

I too have read in several different places about Taurus' issues they had with their Semi Auto's several years ago. I have also read that they have made many improvements to their manufacturing and quality control and have since gotten much better reviews/feedback. I was looking for an inexpensive pistol for CCW and went to look at them mostly due to their price range. We had recently bought a Stoeger Cougar ( same as Berettas) and we absolutely love it but I found it a little bulky to carry and wanted something a bit smaller but I really didn't like the Kel Tec or the little tiny Ruger as I like something that fits better in the hand. I looked at Taurus' new slim pistol and I liked it but I wanted a .40 cal and it was a 9mm so I moved on to the Mil Pro's and 24/7 compacts. I found them to be similar in size and weight so it was down to comfort of the grip and sights (one had 2 dot Heinie and one had 3 dot). The "ribber" grip on the 24/7 compact was so comfortable in the hand that it was the major selling point in my decision to go with that gun over the Mil Pro. It also has a light rail which I don't need but it is nice to have if down the road I want to get a laser or flashlight attachment (I know - typical woman - thinking about accessorizing lol). I have shot about 50 rounds out of it and it has shot well so far - no problems at all - just need to get used to it as it shoots very differently from our Cougar. Every time I shoot it it seems to improve a little so once it is broken in I think it will be a really nice shooting gun. While someday I would love to have a 1911 frame pistol (Kimber, Sig, Springfield etc) I would certainly not be at all opposed to buying another Taurus nor would I hesitate to recommend one to a friend. The same advice goes for purchasing a pistol as a bow - try as many as you can in your price range and choose what feels most comfortable to you!

being new to 1911's i do not have much experience with one of the other higher prices variants but i can tell you i absolutely love my Taurus PT1911. I took it to front sight and ran it though it's paces in the four day defensive hangun course. Never had an unintentional FTF or FTE. I put about 1000 rounds through it before going down to front sight and about 650 while i was there. I did find all of the rough spots that it had during that time though. i have had several Taurus revolvers and love them and would never get rid of them. The only Taurus i ever sold off was my PT92c. Used the money to by a 9mm EAA witness and love it and still have it.

I have since traded my 24/7 for a Charles Daly 1911. While the 24/7 was super comfortable to carry and fit my hand perfectly I just could not get used to the extreme muzzle flip/kick. My husbands .40 Cougar has very little muzzle lift by comparison. Granted I could shoot very accurately with the 24/7 I found myself starting to flinch badly anticipating the kick. It was an excellent gun for the money but CD makes an excellent product and their CS is second to none. Now that I've shot a 1911 I doubt I will ever go back!

Yesterday we went gun shopping and hubby came home with a new PT1911. Only put about 25 rounds through it since we shoot outside and it was raining however it was quite accurate right out of the box and very smooth to shoot. Only reason I didn't go with the Taurus 1911 myself is they only make a full size one and I wanted a 3-4" barrel for ccw. Jerry is tall and slender so he can ccw the 5". We are very happy with the PT1911 - got the black with rosewood grips and not only is it a shooter its good looking too ;)

Last year when my wife and I decided to get our CCW permits, and new weapons, we had 22s for years, but they are not a defense weapon, they are for shooting targets, after some buying selling and trading we have several handguns but what we shoot the most is two Taurus 709 9mms, at the present time we prob have over 3000rds thru the two guns without so much as a hiccup out of ether of them, she also carrys a PT-738 380 on her ankle, have had maybe 400 rds thru it same result, no problems, I do not doubt that some guns no matter who the manufacter, from time to time there is going to have a lemmon come off the assy line, now I will say that Taurus cust service REALLY, REALLY SUCKS, but have no complaint with the weapons

I used to have a model 44 taurus .44 magnum with the 8 inch ported barrel. I could shoot inch and a half groups in single action mode at 25 yards. Loved the gun but definately not a ccw gun. Never had a problem with it and could easily shoot it one handed even with +p ammo...I'm only 5'7" and 140 pounds so that says alot for the magna ported barrels on the model 44. I currently carry a s.a. 1911a1 in .45 acp best pistol I have ever owned but the Taurus model 44 would be number one FUN GUN.

We have 2 of the PT-709slim-Taurus its a great weapon! We've had them a while now & not had any issues with it at all! I care one of them has my main carry.
I also have the PT-738 Taurus its also a great weapon! Once again we've had no Issues.
Both guns have had so many rounds though them I've lost count,they've been broke down,cleaned & refired! Still we have no issues!
The PT-709 I carry in a Belly Band at 6 O'clock. The smaller one I carry in a Ankle Band!
What I like also is they aren't huge weapons nor overly heavy to carry. Plus has to recoil, I'm 4'9" 110 lbs! Small hands I can pop off the whole mag. with out missing a beat! And yes I hit either in the Bullseye or just in the frist ring out side it! The sites on ours are dead on!
I really enjoy these weapons and feel comfortable with them has my carry weapns!

Taurus Weapons

I own a PT-111 9MM, as well as a a 357 Magnum revolver. These are awesome weapons. I would put either of them up against just about any other weapon out there. I carry the 9MM everywhere.
I do not know what else you could ask of a weapon besides: accuracy & dependability/reliability and these weapons provide that. I shot quite a few different brands when I was shopping for the 9MM and this one felt "right."
I saw a video where one of their semi-autos was placed in a deep-fryer and cooked for 15 mins and it worked just fine when removed!! Tasted terrible :laugh:

My wife had to have the pink Taurus Millenium 9mm sold by Gander Mountain. The trigger is the worse I have ever seen. D- the rest of the pistol is satisfactory at best. C- Compared to a Glock, or H&K, this is a rather inferior firearm. It does go boom when you pull, and pull, and pull the trigger. Acuccuracy is good. once you get used to the trigger.B Great paperweight. IMO. I wouldn't trust my life to one.

My wife had to have the pink Taurus Millenium 9mm sold by Gander Mountain. The trigger is the worse I have ever seen. D- the rest of the pistol is satisfactory at best. C- Compared to a Glock, or H&K, this is a rather inferior firearm. It does go boom when you pull, and pull, and pull the trigger. Acuccuracy is good. once you get used to the trigger.B Great paperweight. IMO. I wouldn't trust my life to one.

My father was a LEO and had a Taurus M 85 snubby for back up. He trusted his life to it because it would go boom every time he pulled the trigger and it was accurate. It doesn't get much better than that IMHO. My wife carries a M 85 Ultra-Lite .38 spl. and I have the M 65 Service revolver in .357 magnum. I also have a S&W M 60 .357, all three of these guns are equal in their performance regardless of manufacturer, and the M 65 is one of the strongest, tightest, most accurate and well balanced service revolvers I've had the pleasure of shooting. I've never owned or fired a Taurus auto so I can't comment on one, however, I've never owned a Taurus revolver that I would not recommend or not trust my life to.

My father was a LEO and had a Taurus M 85 snubby for back up. He trusted his life to it because it would go boom every time he pulled the trigger and it was accurate. It doesn't get much better than that IMHO. My wife carries a M 85 Ultra-Lite .38 spl. and I have the M 65 Service revolver in .357 magnum. I also have a S&W M 60 .357, all three of these guns are equal in their performance regardless of manufacturer, and the M 65 is one of the strongest, tightest, most accurate and well balanced service revolvers I've had the pleasure of shooting. I've never owned or fired a Taurus auto so I can't comment on one, however, I've never owned a Taurus revolver that I would not recommend or not trust my life to.
Enjoy your Taurus. I am sure the revolvers may be better then the auto's. However, this is what my wife has in her purse.

I own 20+ Taurus handguns. About 1/2 auto and 1/2 revolver. The autos swill outshoot every Beretta I own. The revolvers will outshoot every Ruger I own and all of the S&W's except for the performance center ones. My son has a Taurus 1911 that I gave a good workout to. Shooting without sandbags, 25 yards was a ragged hole. 50 yards opened up to 1 inch groups. At 200 yards, I was holding an 8 inch pattern. I would stake my life and reputation on a Taurus any day of the week. They have never been very particular about ammo put through them either.

One inch groups with a Taurus 1911 at 50 yards? I am going to run right out and buy the Taurus 1911. I was looking at the Les Baer custom 1911 @ $2,000. It will only do 1.5" @ 50 yards. Think of all the money I will save.
Les Baer 1911 Custom Pistols at Impact Guns Home

:to_pick_ones_nose:

I have a Taurus titanium 5-shot .38+P. Extremely nice gun with one of the smoothest double-action triggers I have ever encountered.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back