Taurus 709FS PT709 Slim

njsportsman

Anybody have any experience with this firearm or anything of equal value? I am considering getting one. Here it is in a nut shell all I have is $200 to spend maybe i could stretch it $50. I live in New Jersey so, i am limited to time which is about 2 weeks left on my handgun permit. I just blew my load on a Springfield loaded and a Sig p229 and don't have a lot to spend on my 3rd and i would feel like I committed a sin if i let it expire since they take 4-5 months to get and they double charge you for NICS. They charge you when you get the permit then when you pick the gun up. So i am looking for something cheap but, reliable. I have a Taurus revolver and it's a good gun but, no experience with there autos. thanks in advance

Anybody have any experience with this firearm or anything of equal value? I am considering getting one. Here it is in a nut shell all I have is $200 to spend maybe i could stretch it $50. I live in New Jersey so, i am limited to time which is about 2 weeks left on my handgun permit. I just blew my load on a Springfield loaded and a Sig p229 and don't have a lot to spend on my 3rd and i would feel like I committed a sin if i let it expire since they take 4-5 months to get and they double charge you for NICS. They charge you when you get the permit then when you pick the gun up. So i am looking for something cheap but, reliable. I have a Taurus revolver and it's a good gun but, no experience with there autos. thanks in advance

JMO but I'd buy a 100 bucks each worth of magazines for the guns you have.

PT709 Slim

Owned a 709 for several years, now. Reliable firearm. Carried it IWB almost constantly. Would have no qualms about recommending it. I would do a thorough cleaning when you get it. I've found preservative in a couple Taurus firearms, particularly the slides. I tend to run my slides (internally) as clean as I can get them and dry. I would do some research on ammo performance in short-barreled 9mm. You will want to shop for the best ammo. Being in NJ, I don't think hollow points are available to you. There's been some new solid ammo introduced that touts hollow point performance. I carry +P Speer Gold Dot in my baby 9's. The penetration is less than the regular Gold Dot. Have to use the +P in order to get the velocity up to expand the projectile. YMMV.

Side note: Check out Black Hills Honey Badger ammo.
Honey Badger Don't Care: Meet the Black Hills HoneyBadger Line
Link Removed

The Taurus 709 Slim is my everyday carry pistol and has been for going on two years now. It's comfortable in a cloak tuck holster, though even with the synthetic sweat barrier I've had a little surface rust. Then again I work in a building that is usually 100 degrees and I'm in the humid south. If by some stroke of luck you expect to be in a similar environment, 0000 steel wool and cold bluing works just fine.

The trigger is very nice and due to its internal SA/DA action, I do use the external safety. I've debated using the safety while holstering and then disengaging it once it's seated, but have found incorporating releasing the safety during the middle of my draw to be just as effective.

While the rear sights are adjustable for height and windage, mine was spot on from the factory and needed no adjustment.

I've put a few hundred rounds of Winchester white box through it and maybe fifty rounds of Hornady Critical Defense with no malfunctions and carry with Critical Defense in all magazines.

It's fun and acurrate and I trust it with my life. If it fits your hand well at you like the weight and feel, buy it. It's a great value.

No experience with that one, but I tend to stay far away from anything from Taurus.

Yes, they make some good guns, some of them are very good, but they have one of the worst reputations in the industry for Customer Service. Nobody wants to have to use Customer Service, but when I do need it, I want to know that I will get the help I need.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back