Taurus .380ACP revolver

Cotillion

Has anyone seen these new little .380 revolvers from Taurus? I for one like the .380 caliber, just wondering how compact the thing actually is ( I.e lcp small )

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=76796

My first thought when I read the question was the idea of putting the already minimally powered .380 in a revolver (with the B&C gap) that would reduce pressure/round velocity thereby reducing the rounds already meager fight stopping performance...

My L C P would be perfect if the barrel was another inch longer for two reasons: A little more velocity and a little more sight radius. Oh, and slightly higher and more useful sights would be good even if the small gun is more of a point shooter. Ok, stainless steel barrel/slide would be outstanding as well!

I was also thinking the trigger area is a bit small. What about getting speed-loaders for that size - it doesn't seem like a common revolver cartridge? I noticed Taurus has a 9mm revolver - I think that's the first I've ever seen of that too. Not that that means much. I wouldn't get anything less than a .38 rev for CC - but I'm not much of a revolver fan.

It's more about being able to use the same caliber for different guns. I'm eventually getting a revolver and getting a .380 next week for my pocket. Being able to use the 1 round in both would be nice

Taurus 380 Revolver

I won't disparage any ammo or weapon that one chooses to carry. It's a personal choice and I believe that there are reasons why so many versions of ammo/weapons have been developed. All are right for the specific application they best serve. Having said that, I must say that for me, and for everyday pocket carry, I have been waiting for a revolver as small as some of the most popular 380 autos that are now out and as close to them in weight as it could be. Something in between the NAA Mini Mag and the S&W model 642 Airweight. The pockets on my jeans don't allow for the S&W due to it's height or OAL. The new Taurus Mini-Revolver in 380 is the first step (where I hope other manufacturers will follow) in fulfilling that need. Looking at it's specs, it does match the OAL of the Diamondback 380 for an example and is approx. 4 ounces heavier. That's why I decided to purchase one. In the future, I hope that Taurus and others will decide to further it's design by going to an ultralight version. For others who seem to want to compare it to existing 38s or 357s, you're missing the point. If you can carry those in the way you want to, fine. However, if you need/want a revolver that is smaller and hopefully as light as the autos that proliferate the market these days, then this might be your weapon of choice.

Taurus 380 revolver

So did Taurus do the right thing? Well, I think they took the easy way. i.e., basically made a smaller J Frame (due to shorter cyclinder) and called it a mini-revolver. I just got one for my B'day, (for my wife knew I wanted a small revovler to carry), so I can comment on it and will do quickly. It is about 1/2" shorter and unfortunately the same weight as my Smith (14.5oz) but it can now fit it in my jeans pocket. Yet, Taurus could've (and maybe they will or someone else will) been a bit more creative and tried to match the size/weight goals of the autos. Maybe some one else will. Now, however, I can and do carry this revolver when I'm wearing my jeans. Anyway, the wife and I do like the weapon. It looks and feels smaller than it actually is and my wife thinks it's a joy to shoot compared to my S&W Airweight 38 Special, (she won't touch the Smith anymore), but loves this revolver and, so they did do something right.

Don't pick on the round (380), look at the application. Many would rather carry a 380 revolver (right size/weight mind you) even if you think you wouldn't. I'm hoping this is the first step for wheel gun fans and that Taurus or others will design something a little smaller and lighter. Then, I believe you will see many small auto users change their method of carry.
So, bottom line...could've been smaller/lighter but is small enough to be pocket carried and pleasant to shoot. See pic below next to Diamondback 380...

Link Removed

In Jan 2013, I purchased the 380 Mini revolver. It was the worst firearms purchase of my life! The trigger is horrible. But more than that, the cylinder would jam at least 3-4 times out of every 50 rounds. To free the jam the cylinder had to be rotated manually, as the trigger cannot be depressed once the cylinder jammed. This is a terrible situation for a firearm intended for concealed carry! Since that time I tried cleaning, polishing and working in the revolver. After running several hundred rounds through the revolver, the jamming (and trigger) never improved so this year I sent the revolver back to Taurus for a warranty repair.

While it is true Taurus has a lifetime warranty, Taurus customer service is horrendous. First, I had to ship the revolver back to them at my expense. Next, while their on-line tracking system acknowledged receipt of the revolver, the status never progressed past under review. So after 3 months, I called Taurus. I was informed that the revolver was unrepairable because the frame had been improperly drilled with some of the holes (including the one for the firing pin) misaligned. Taurus offered to ship a replacement revolver to an FFL but the catch is that I'd be responsible for the FFL fees. This presented a problem for me as the FFL fees for handguns is expensive in my home state of Maryland as a result of legislative changes that went into effect in Oct 2013. Without going into all of the details, it would cost me about $200 to receive the handgun from an FFL because I do not have the Maryland handgun purchasing license. I tried explaining this to Taurus and asked if they could either send the replacement revolver directly to me, which is permitted under Maryland law (I even gave them a link to the state police website), or provide a refund. Taurus refused and referred me to their policy on their website.

Two points are noteworthy: 1) It is unknown how wide-spread this the problem is. All I know is that my revolver was manufactured incorrectly and Taurus' quality control did not detect the problem. Taurus is returning my revolver with a letter saying that it is "unsafe". I do not know how many other "unsafe" Taurus revolvers are out there but Taurus seems to be in no hurry to warn its customers. 2) Taurus is hiding behind its company policy (posted on the website) to explain the fact that their remedy for the unsafe revolver would result in extensive charges to their customer. The fact that Taurus' sloppy manufacturing and poor quality control resulted in a unsafe firearm being delivered to their customer and the fact that the customer had this unsafe firearm for 2 years does not seem to bother the company.

As a result, I cannot recommend the 380 mini revolver and advise against having any dealings with Taurus.

BTW: When I carry a .380 ACP it is my Sig P238, which is totally reliable and holds 6+1.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back