Taurus 1911

MWfinest

Does anyone know anything about these guns? I'm in the market for a full size 1911 and I can buy one a Taurus 1911 locally for $650 brand new. Anyone here ever shot one or held one?

MW, Take a look at the Kimber. I have the CDP II and I love it, no problems as of yet. If your going to CC look at the ultra its a little better at concealing than the other Kimbers.

Not sure about the Taurus either, but in the 600 price range you may want to compare versus one of these:
Link Removed

I would recommend a Springfield gi or for a bit more the loaded model these are both fantastic guns and are very accurate

The Taurus PT1911 Pistol is a great shooter. I have owned one for 3 years now, and put a couple thousand rounds through it without any problem. I can't say that for my Kimber. Don't be put off by the price. If you can afford it, go for a more expensive custom made 1911 like a colt or Smith and Wesson. While the Kimber is a good pistol, it just won't hold the value, it is just a name you see plastered on the back of every gun magazine. I'll be selling mine shortly.:pleasantry:

If you haven't bought a 1911 yet...May I suggest the Remington 1911 R1 Link Removed The reviews I have read sound very positive and it is about the same price as the Taurus.:pleasantry:

Thanks for the opinions guys! I haven't bought one yet but I'm very open to about anything. One thing I am looking for is the extra large bump on the hand safety (not sure what it's called) because I have really big hands, and I'm concerned the standard older safeties might not engage if I were to need to draw quickly and I may not have a perfect grip on the gun. Also, quality is important because I plan on throwing this in with my lineup of carry guns, however I'm not willing to pay for extra for a name.

Not a fan of Taurus anything, let alone a 1911 clone knock off.

1911's are a breed upon themselves and if a manufacturer is "just getting into the game" with a 1911 platform I'll let the suckers buy them first and see what performance issues they have before I'll got down that road.

If it's not Springfield or a high end custom 1911 I'm not interested, with only maybe one exception and that is the RIA guns but but they are not known for their service life and all parts are MIM and anot CNC machined.

The Springfield MC Operator is possibly one of the best, if not the best, out of the box 1911's than can purchased, but it does cost twice as much as a Taurus PT 1911.

YMMV

I'm just simply not a fan of Taurus in any of it's offerings.

I have a Springfield 1911-A1, a Taurus PT1911 and a Springfield LWT Champion Operator. The Taurus can hold it's own against the others and came with more features as well. I've had my Taurus for a few years now and have never experienced a single problem. For the money, it's really hard to beat.

I have a stainless model Taurus PT1911. Look around a little more, and you might beat that price by a little. Even at that it's not bad. I have right at 5,000 rounds through mine, with zero issues. Accurate (makes me look good), and dependable. And all the extra features already on the gun make it a hoot to shoot. I think I'll just go out this coming week and cross over that 5,000 mark.
Taurus products, are a hot seller at my favorite gun shop, with the PT1911s hard to catch in stock.

Several years ago, Taurus had a bad reputation. In todays world, Taurus handguns can hold their own with any gun makers. I have dozens of guns and I choose to carry a Taurus PT1911 for work - and play.

Ruger has a 1911 coming out in a month or two but I never want to be the first to buy any new design from any manufacturer - be it a gun, car or power tool. That said, if Ruger screws it up they will make it right. SA is the same way. I've heard good and bad about Taurus' customer service - I think it has improved now that they have a facility in the US.

If you get a Springfield do yourself a favor and get one with the Colt-style frontstrap (which is what the new ones have). The older more squared frontstrap can make finding aftermarket grips difficult.

Caveat!

bought my son a PT 1911 with the tac rail for his 21st birthday, it was accurate however....

It broke within the first 50 rounds, the ambi safety fell out....:eek:
sent it back to Taurus, they kept it 7 weeks and sent it back un fixed....:angry:
we sent it back, they kept it 7 more weeks, and they sent it back un fixed..:angry:
we sent it back they kept it 8 weeks, sent it back fixed with scratches on the slide...:angry:
we sent it back they kept it 7 weeks, sent it back and now it could not group...:angry:
we sent it back, they kept it 7 weeks, sent it back still will not group..:angry:
we sent it back, they kept it 8 weeks, sent it back fixed this time...:blink:

each time we called, and were promised they would put a rush on it.. yeah like hell they did, we wrote a letter to the CEO and never got an acknowledgment, all in all we called over 20 times, were promised a lot and none were delivered...:angry:

add to this the fact they use a bastardized dove tail on their sight so off the shelf stuff will not fit, the grip is slightly wider so most holsters, and aftermarket grips will not work, and their bluing is soft, I ended up coating it my self...:eek:

Is it a good gun now... yes but who wants that level of hassle just to get something to do what it was suppose to do out of the box!!!:hang3:

Not content to only screw up the Berreta design, they decided to enter the 1911 market. Do yourself a favor and get a Glock instead.

Many who have shot both believe the Taurus PT92 is as good or better than the Beretta 92.

(Personally I think both are too big for a 9mm pistol.)

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back