Targets...Print or buy?

keally1123

So I was just curious do you print or buy your targets for the range? Where do you get them? Whats your favorite to shoot at?

Buy targets or make your own?

I print my own because I use at least 10 per practice session (I have a routine of one handed right, one handed left, two hands left, two hands right, double taps, single shots, multiple targets, etc so I like to analyze each one to see what I need to work on).

Easy to set up (squares or circles).

Almost all of my pistol shooting is bullseye target shooting. I can't print on paper big enough to match the 50' NRA slow and timed/rapid targets. I have to buy.

The range I go to provides the NRA 50' targets for indoor range (or outdoor, for that matter). We pay a $5 per session range fee to help defray costs of elec, targets, etc. They ask that if you use a lot of targets to kick in some extra cash. It's an honor system, pretty much. We're always welcome to bring our own, too. People bring their own evil menace targets for the outdoor range. It's a rifle & pistol club, run by the officers & members, not for profit. The money raised goes right back into the club's operating and maintenance expenses.

The range I go to provides the NRA 50' targets for indoor range (or outdoor, for that matter). We pay a $5 per session range fee to help defray costs of elec, targets, etc. They ask that if you use a lot of targets to kick in some extra cash. It's an honor system, pretty much. We're always welcome to bring our own, too. People bring their own evil menace targets for the outdoor range. It's a rifle & pistol club, run by the officers & members, not for profit. The money raised goes right back into the club's operating and maintenance expenses.
That is interesting...

Anyway, we buy them at the range and some of them from Walmart. The cost of the ink does not justify printing (in my case...)

I use all the bottles and jugs from milk, juice, soda, etc and fill them with water and shoot at those. They're great for really trying to get accurate at all ranges. And when the water runs out the jugs bounce around so you get to fire at a moving target. Just make sure you do it in a safe place with nobody else around.

My practice is all in close (<25 feet) these days and is indoors. I like the Shoot and see types. Right now I am using 5" diameter Orange Peel targets. I like to see the hits as I fire.

I print some targets and also use cereal boxes and soda bottles of various sizes. Where I practice, on my own rural property, I have a backdrop and a few stands that I can place paper targets on and a shelf below for the bottles to rest on. I also have an area next to the stands that I let the grass grow (about 2-3 feet) in and I place the cereal boxes on the grass tops for shotgun practice. Makes for a cheap reactive target. :biggrin: If I get a good COBM (Center Of Box Mass :sarcastic:) the box usually just gets knocked off the grass, if I hit only on the side you can see the box spin and it might not fall.

I've never used the Shoot n See targets, I'll have to try them out.

I use BOTH! I have about 400 targets downloaded on a disc which I give to students when I teach.However with my increasing age and decreasing eyesight , I have been picking up the Orange Peel targets that are listed as "SECONDS" from midwayusa.com. And if you look at the reviews, others along with myself see no difference from the full price targets.

I collect the plasic signs that are used during elections and combine two of them into a meaningful full size target background either with some cardboard linking them in back or pieces of the metal rods that the signs used to place them into the ground in the first place. I purchase the "stickum" targets (sometimes you find them on sale) and put a group on the signs. They easily show your "hits". Once "used", I use cheaper repair dots to reinvent the target or replace with a new target and sometimes repair the overall plastic sign by placing a new cutout plastic piece where the sign has been really ripped apart. I have also use large pieces of cardboard from say large TV sets (they are thick and have a coating of print on the ad side--they do not last as long as the plastic and are heavier though).

I use all the bottles and jugs from milk, juice, soda, etc and fill them with water and shoot at those. They're great for really trying to get accurate at all ranges. And when the water runs out the jugs bounce around so you get to fire at a moving target. Just make sure you do it in a safe place with nobody else around.
Sounds like fun!! We use to shoot up old TV and what ever we could find.

I bring red duck tape to the target range and place big xx'es on the paper target after punching a bunch of holes.

Paper plates and a magic marker make pretty cheap targets.... I also print some of my own from free files/pdf from online sources...

Those old plastic "Elect Me!" signs are great...... I have gotten a few AFTER the elections were over... gave them about a week to take them down... after that, they are just eyesores and trash.... If they wanted them back, they would have gotten them in a reasonable amount of time.... ( a few states and localities actually require their removal within x amount of time, or they can be fined for littering ) Those signs also hold staples very well compared to cardboard.

Paper plates and a magic marker make pretty cheap targets.... I also print some of my own from free files/pdf from online sources...

Those old plastic "Elect Me!" signs are great...... I have gotten a few AFTER the elections were over... gave them about a week to take them down... after that, they are just eyesores and trash.... If they wanted them back, they would have gotten them in a reasonable amount of time.... ( a few states and localities actually require their removal within x amount of time, or they can be fined for littering ) Those signs also hold staples very well compared to cardboard.

Bring back memories now. I coming over!

I shoot cans, plastic jugs and feed bags. My paper targets are made from blank paper with an upside down T, either printed or hand drawn with a felt tip marker. I also shoot a lot of knockdown metal targets, 12 inch diameter with a 4x4 base welded on.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back