Taking my wife to the range.

bbarton713

My wife and I are having date night on Saturday night and first stop is the range, at her request! Since I've owned a handgun and been frequenting forums like this one I've been giving her a lot of things to think about. Today, at lunch, she told me that her feelings about guns have done a 180 and she thinks that owning a gun and knowing how to shoot are a good thing.

I have a Glock 23 so I asked a friend to borrow his .22 and he graciously lent me his Ruger that has a scope on it to boot. I fired it a couple of days a go and it was a lot of fun. I will probably let her try the Glock but only after she's had a blast with the .22.

The best part is that she said to me I better hope she doesn't get hooked on it because she'll want to buy her own gun while we're there and go shooting all the time!

I'm a lucky man!

man.... going out shooting with the one you love... now that sounds like one of the best dates ever! wonder what kind of gun she will want for herself.

Can't think of a better, more productive way for you and the misses to spend and evening. I am encouraged to here how many women are starting to take their own personal protection seriously. Let us know how things go.

I just recently got my wife back into Guns (She had gov't experience in the past)
It's great to have your woman have your back, and enjoy the same things you do..

If she decides she want's a pistol and want's a semi-auto, at least look at the Sig P238..
My wife bought one and loves it..
.380 - very concealable - still large enough to fit in your hand and shoot - high quality.
It's not cheap, but it is very nice..

We had a great time. The .22 was perfect for her. She didn't want to shoot my Glock because it intimidated her. The range was busy and I decided we should leave when a guy with a 30.06 showed up in the lane next to us.

She wants to go again when it isn't so busy.

Thanks for the advice. She's not ready to buy yet but I'm keeping all the advice in mind.

We had a great time.
She wants to go again when it isn't so busy.

Call around.. There is a range near us that Wednesday is Ladies day and they shoot for free.. They also allow lane sharing, the 2nd person pays 1/2 price.. So my wife and I go on Wednesday, during the day when it's not busy for less than $8.. (plus bullets of course!!)

Range dates can lead to adoption of a new gun

My wife started out the same --- going to the range with me and sharing a lane. She'd shoot mostly our S&W Model 65 .22 LR revolver, but she'd also give my S&W Model 60 a go with .38 Specials (the .357 Magnums were "too loud"). Then she started talking up getting her carry permit, which she did during the summer. Then she wanted to take me shopping so she could get her own gun, which we did. She picked out the Ruger LCR, which is just perfect for her.

I never pushed any ideas on her along the way -- everything was her idea. Of course, when she suggested that we go gun shopping I was first out in the car, ready to take her.

I feel our better halves are slower to warm up to the notion of having firearms around, handling them, and ultimately shooting them. This to me is due in part to the demonization of firearms in the media. But as MagicTAG put it " I never pushed any ideas on her along the way -- everything was her idea.", and once women realize that firearms don't automatically equate with violence, it becomes much easier to accept them[guns] as an everyday part of our lives. My grandmother was one of the first to help me with my shooting as a child. My mother, aunt(s), and girlfriend all like to shoot. So I would encourage any parent to educate their child, male or female, about firearms and firearm safety.

.38 Special

My wife recently got her CCW permit and now she's trying to decide on a gun that will be HERS.

I got my wife a .38 Special with a 6in. barrel to hold down the kick. She seems to like it a lot. She also likes to shoot my S&W .22 Revolver.

I got my wife a .38 Special with a 6in. barrel to hold down the kick. She seems to like it a lot. She also likes to shoot my S&W .22 Revolver.

Is that just for shooting or will it be a carry piece? Reason I ask is that sounds a little long and heavy for concealed carry especially for a woman.

I think the idea that we're responsible for our safety has really hit home with recent events in the media. By the time you call 911, and they arrive, the BGs are gone. She's still nervous but at least she wants to go shooting again. I hope to convince her to do the CWP class soon.

It sorta happened the other way around in my case. Last year, with the upcoming elections and fear that Obama would be elected, and we would find ourselves in more need of self defense, she decided she wanted a carry permit and a gun.

I did not own a gun, nor did I share her concern or feel the need to get one. I didn't say much, at first. I wanted to make sure she was sure.

She persisted, and to show support, I started looking into it, too. I ended up getting us both a gun. We got professional training and put in some practice. We then obtained our licenses.

So, if it weren't for her interest in becoming armed, I wouldn't be a gun owner or a CHL carrier, or a forum participant.

I just posted these comments on another thread:

My life actually changed more when my wife began to CC.
I'm not as concerned about her becoming a victim; especially when she is with our children. I'm much more at ease when she and the kids have gone somewhere without me.

Another BIG plus is the way it has significantly improved our relationship. Since she has been CC'ing, we have become a much, MUCH better team! ALL parts of our relationship have improved significantly. (25+ years & better than ever!)

I would strongly encourage every "Guy" out there with a significant other to get their wife/girfriend involved in the CC revolution. My wife did NOT like firearms until she to a CWP class. NOW she is an NRA RSO and takes as many advanced firearm defense classes as she can.

I'm a truly "Blessed" man!

That's great, tcox4freedom! My wife said today that she can't believe how much I've changed her feelings about guns. Now she feels like something is missing if I don't have a gun with me (which is never) but she's asking about it now. LOL

That's great, tcox4freedom! My wife said today that she can't believe how much I've changed her feelings about guns. Now she feels like something is missing if I don't have a gun with me (which is never) but she's asking about it now. LOL

:victory:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back