Tactical Shotguns- Remington vs. Mossberg

The 870 is just a better built gun...

Your grand-children's children will just love it... as it will still be around and running. There's a reason that the Remington 870 is the longest and highest volume continuously produced shotgun in history...

I have a 870, built in the 70's, handed down from my dad, with a +4 tube on it and a 18" cyl choke barrel. Yes, the tube sticks out 3-4" past the barrel, but it ain't a beauty contest... It shoots anything you feed it. It has in duck blinds, tree stands, in the ice, and snow, and rain, and mud...

Buy an 870. Take care of it. Pass it down to YOUR kids, almost 40 years from now... It'll be just as nice then.

Jeff

Excellent post. For a couple reasons.

1. The 870 is the best selling pump shotgun, hands down.

2. No, it's not a beauty contest. Nor should it be.

3. You'll get every nickels worth of investment.

Here's a scenario:

It's a total blackout, no electricity for day's on end. The home invaders are starting to get through the neighbor hoods. You find and old 870 or Moss in your grand dads closet. It doesn't have a light, laser, heat shield, fancy folding stock, pistol grip, Trijicon sights, rail system, foregrip not even a set of chokes.

You going to let it lye there or are you going to make that hardware work for ya ?

Here's a scenario:

It's a total blackout, no electricity for day's on end. The home invaders are starting to get through the neighbor hoods. You find and old 870 or Moss in your grand dads closet. It doesn't have a light, laser, heat shield, fancy folding stock, pistol grip, Trijicon sights, rail system, foregrip not even a set of chokes.

You going to let it lye there or are you going to make that hardware work for ya ?

Same goes for my Winchester or my Mossberg or my Beretta .... None of them have a light, laser, heat shield, folding stock, pistol grip Trijicon sights or rail system. They do have foregrips (not vertical) on them, but then so does my dad's 870 and it was made in the 50's. My Beretta does have several chokes.

Anyway, all that to say the 870 is a fine shotgun but there are other fine shotguns out there. My Mossberg 930 SPX is a fine, purpose-built weapon. So, is my Beretta 686. Why get wrapped around the axle of one shotgun being the be-all, end-all?

All good guns. As I have said if I were going with a pump I prefer the Mossberg 590 but I would not have a problem using any of them. As the saying goes. Any gun will do if you will (do)

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. 870, 500, 590, M1, M2, Nova, SuperNova, it doesn't much matter which one. Just have one.

I was in the market for an 870 with a short barrel and a stock with pistol grip when I found a Benelli SuperNova in the price range I was considering. I didn't turn it down just to find an 870 later.
Link Removed

I have a 870 Wingmaster, 12 gauge. I had the barrel shortened to 18 1/2 and plan on getting a magazine extender to bring it out to the end of the barrel.
It was built in 1953, and works as good now as the day it was made. It was given to me by my father.
Think I'll stick to the tried and true.

Geez, I feel like a weinie compaired to you guys. All I have are a couple of single-shot 12 gauges! Nice pics on the gun though. Wish I had it and you had a feather up your butt, we both would be tickled! Just kidding.:laugh:

There's a very simple reason why 870's have been carried in so many patrol cars for so many years: They work when you need them to.

i like them both, as i own both. i just like my mossbergs better. i also like my old side by side stevens too. all of wich have never failed me.

never got to shoot a nova but i havent herd anything negative about them.

I have one bad thing to say about them...

I got one when they 1st came out for MN goose season. It so derned light that shooting 3 1/2's will just about dislocate your shoulder!

Otherwise it is a light sweet handling scatter gun.

I have one bad thing to say about them...

I got one when they 1st came out for MN goose season. It so derned light that shooting 3 1/2's will just about dislocate your shoulder!

Otherwise it is a light sweet handling scatter gun.

My Mossberg 500 loads eight in the tube. I installed a Knox Specops Stock and can now shoot magnums all day long. Sooo sweet, worth every dollar.

The mossberg has an aluminum receiver which has a finite cycle life where as a rmington 870 has a steal receiver which has an infinite cycle life, thats why its the most popular LEO scattergun around damned near bulletproof my 870 express with extended tune and a 20 inch barrel holds 8 rounds in the tube and one in the pipe. accessories abound for both. As a side note if you look at wilson combat and a few other manufacturers that customize sotguns for home defense, they all use remington

Can anyone confirm that modifying a stock shotgun to have any or all of the following requires an ATF form? Pistol grip, telescoping butt stock, extended shell tube, heat shield, 18.5" barrel.

I bought a Mossberg 500 12ga. at an auction, and want to make it into a home defense weapon, but read that it might be illegal.

Remmington Shreader

I've owned a mossburg for some 46 yrs. and still own it , it my swomp gun ! It's a 500 AB and it's been worked and I love it ! I came across a Browning BPS really tight but shoots good thats in storage . But I bought a Remmington 870 tactial put a supercell recoil on it day 2 of owning it . I've worked the pcs. really hard it shoots a slug unreal @ 100 yrds. and @ 150 yrds. I pok 6 in. all day long . Believe it or not , so I gotta say a little bit more money is worth it for the proformance I have exsperinced w/ this pcs. :pleasantry:

The 870 is the clear winner between these two. It's tough, reliable, accurate and affordable. It's also fairly easy to find replacement parts or to mod the gun up.

I've got an 870 synthetic that I attached a pistol grip stock to and added an extended tube. Eighteen inches O' fun!

When I buy another SD shotgun, it's going to be an Ithaca M37 Defense Gun. It's action is super smooth and it ejects empties out the bottom, making it ideal for southpaws.

I have a Moss 500 that I put a 18.5" bbl on, other than that I haven't done anything to it. I just took it to Front Sight for a 4 day course and didn't have any malfunctions. When I bought it I didn't have any experience with shotguns, so I just looked for an inexpensive one. I am very happy with it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back