Tactical Shotguns- Remington vs. Mossberg

I'm in the same boat. up in the air with the Mossy or the 870. Whatever I get I will be putting the Knoxx stock on it with the pistol grip and shock absorbing setup. I got to shoot one at the range last weekend and couldn't believe how smooth the recoil is with it compared to a regualr 12 ga stock. That would be a must have if I bought a semi auto 12ga shotty

It seem's most on this site prefer the pump action over semi-auto. Why is that? Is it reliability? Today's semi-auto's have worked that out. Is it price? Is it "the sound" of racking a shell?

I too am considering a home defense shotgun, but I'm leaning towards the Mossberg 930-SPX. It has a short barrel and high capacity but could double as a SHTF gun in a pinch. What am I missing? What is the advantage of a pump over a semi-auto for home defense? I'd really like to know before I commit to a purchase.

Link Removed

Last edited:
The mossy lhas a looser slide than the Remy..., It rattles both are nice Guns.. , But I will take the 870, anytime...

Semi versus Pump

I can tell you unequivocably that my 11-87 semi is not as reliable as my 870 pump. That said, my 11-87 is VERY reliable (with the right ammo), and it offers the following advantages over the 870: Number one, I don't need to manually cycle the action to load a round on a semi; Number two, the semi soaks up recoil and is easier to shoot; Number 3, a typical pump requires a longer reach to comfortably operate (so I had to change stocks on my 870 for my short arms); Number 4, I can fire the semi with one hand if I have to; and Number 5, it's easier to attach accessories to a semi than a pump--like a flashlight. Bottom line, though, is I trust my 11-87 to work, and I know I can put up a better fight with it if I have to in the dark of night. As for the sound of racking a shell, I'm not waiting until I desperately need a shotgun to get a shell in the chamber, and I figure if the sight of that tube staring at them doesn't do the trick, the blast certainly will!

Thanks BillW. I appreciate the feedback. The 5 reasons you listed are why I'm looking at the SA's instead of the pump's.

I can tell you unequivocably that my 11-87 semi is not as reliable as my 870 pump. That said, my 11-87 is VERY reliable (with the right ammo), and it offers the following advantages over the 870: Number one, I don't need to manually cycle the action to load a round on a semi; Number two, the semi soaks up recoil and is easier to shoot; Number 3, a typical pump requires a longer reach to comfortably operate (so I had to change stocks on my 870 for my short arms); Number 4, I can fire the semi with one hand if I have to; and Number 5, it's easier to attach accessories to a semi than a pump--like a flashlight. Bottom line, though, is I trust my 11-87 to work, and I know I can put up a better fight with it if I have to in the dark of night. As for the sound of racking a shell, I'm not waiting until I desperately need a shotgun to get a shell in the chamber, and I figure if the sight of that tube staring at them doesn't do the trick, the blast certainly will!

The safety on the Mossberg is located on the top of the receiver. On a traditionally stocked shotgun this setup works well, but throw a pistol gripped stock on it and you can't release the safety while maintaining a shooting grip. Try one out and you'll see what I mean. If you want a pistol grip I'd definately go with the Remington (much better safety placement), if you're getting a more traditional stock either should serve you well.

I got to try out a Remmington 500 at the local range with the Knoxx recoil suppression stock with the pistol grip.

You are right.

I bought an 870 express at a pawn shop that was like new with both barrels for 255. I installed a Knoxx recoil supression stock for 114. Right now I'm at 369 bucks and have a damn nice home defense gun that doubles as a hunting gun. All i need to do is get the ext tube and door breacher and i'll be set for under 400 bucks.

I cannot stress how awesome that Knoxx RSS is. It makes a heavy brass 3" shot shell act like a 410 with low brass target shells.Anyone seriously considering a home defense shotgun should try to rent or use a shotty with this stock. Remmington offers these straight from the factory, whereas Mossburg does not. They also allow you to adjust the should pad 4" for people with short/long arms.

a friend of mine has a mossberg mariner,stainless steel,made for the navy&coast guard,18" bbl. had it parkerized so no glare or shine to give it away, great shotgun. he was a marine during the cuban missle crissis and a merchant marine for many years thus his choice, wont rust!:biggrin:

Last edited:
Both are great guns. I happen to have a mossy. Picked it up for $125 about 15 years ago. Goose/duck barrel and deer barrel.
duckgunnmwet-1.jpg
I added the folding stock, side saddle ammo carrier, red dot, Heat shield and sling.

I'm sure I would have been just as happy with an 870 but this shotty does the trick.

Link Removed

this is my 500. it had a pistol grip on it but i wanted this instead. its the knoxx spec ops stock adjustable w/ recoil reduction springs in it. it shoots great and makes the magnum loads much easier for follow up shots. its no where near finished but im slowly starting to get it the way i vision it in my head.

i chose mossberg for a variety of reasons. the location of the safety is easier for me to engage and disengage it. the slide release is in a much easier position to get to than that on the 870. at least i think so. there are many options available through mossberg. and the fact that they are the largest provider of shotguns to the US Military. they easily pass all the strict military tests. remmington makes a good shotgun too though. i just dont like where everything is located on the reciever. and the price is a little higher than mossbergs. when it comes to shotguns, id rather have a mossberg than any other. but thats just me.

I have a Mossberg 500 pistol grip with breacher (also good for close combat poking) and a Mossberg 930 set up for tactical shooting - both are great -but you will have fewer accessories than for the Rem 870 if you like to add stuff.

I have a rail on top of both, the 930 has an Electro red dot which is sighted for 100 yards with slugs, it comes off easy so and does not loose the zero.

On the 500 I noticed it's very easy to not be on target with 00 buck if you do not have it pointed dead on, looking for a light-laser combination to put on the rail , good for searching a dark house and you know where the center of the 00 is going to go.

I have a mossy 590 and 500c. I have owned a few 870's but never really keep them long I'm a Mossberg man myself. A 870 is not a bad firearm by any means but my pick has always been my trusty Mossberg. My 590 has a 18.5" barrel with 8+1 for 2 3/4 shells and 7+1 for 3". When I bought it it came with a heat shield, ghost ring sights, 6 shot side saddle, strap, and a quick load stock that holds 4 shells. If you asked me I'd say 500 or 590

Ammo question

I've followed this thread with great interest as I, too, am looking for a home defense shot gun. I didn't read too much about shell size, however, and I know nothing except what the sales people tell me. What size is good for home defense? 10? 12? 20? 410? Other? I'm thinking that price and availability, size and load, would all be considerations, just as it is for my pistols and rifles. I looked thru the ammo and reloading threads and there's nothing there that answers my questions. It's been many years since I fired any type of shot gun and I'm pleasantly surprised to view the new designs, and upgrades. Any comments, thoughts, recommendations? Thanks.

I've followed this thread with great interest as I, too, am looking for a home defense shot gun. I didn't read too much about shell size, however, and I know nothing except what the sales people tell me. What size is good for home defense? 10? 12? 20? 410? Other? I'm thinking that price and availability, size and load, would all be considerations, just as it is for my pistols and rifles. I looked thru the ammo and reloading threads and there's nothing there that answers my questions. It's been many years since I fired any type of shot gun and I'm pleasantly surprised to view the new designs, and upgrades. Any comments, thoughts, recommendations? Thanks.

Most common shotgun shell gauges would be 12 and 20. Most common length in shogun shells would be the 2 3/4". If you can find a 12 gauge shotgun that you like and can handle it well, I'd strongly recommend the 12 gauge, since ammo would be readily available and is more forgiving due to the number of shot pellets in the larger shell. There's also a larger variety of ammo available for the 12 gauge. Get the opinions of shotgun owners along with the sales staff at the gun stores. Due to limited availability of firearms in some areas, store clerks may tell you what you want to hear to encourage you to purchase what they have in stock, rather than what would be best for your needs.

Hope I've been able to answer your questions.

gf

I have a Mossberg 500 pistol grip with breacher (also good for close combat poking) and a Mossberg 930 set up for tactical shooting - both are great -but you will have fewer accessories than for the Rem 870 if you like to add stuff.

I have a rail on top of both, the 930 has an Electro red dot which is sighted for 100 yards with slugs, it comes off easy so and does not loose the zero.

On the 500 I noticed it's very easy to not be on target with 00 buck if you do not have it pointed dead on, looking for a light-laser combination to put on the rail , good for searching a dark house and you know where the center of the 00 is going to go.

thats the number one reason i got rid of my pistol grip. i traded less mobility for accuracy. i had the bright idea of shooting 3" magnum shells through mine and actually tried to aim it, every shot missed from 20 to 25 yards and i was left with a very sore hand. it actually stated in the manual that it was intended for firing from the hip and up close and personal. i aint doin that no more. :no: but in the end its all on what one desires.

Most common shotgun shell gauges would be 12 and 20. Most common length in shogun shells would be the 2 3/4". If you can find a 12 gauge shotgun that you like and can handle it well, I'd strongly recommend the 12 gauge, since ammo would be readily available and is more forgiving due to the number of shot pellets in the larger shell. There's also a larger variety of ammo available for the 12 gauge. Get the opinions of shotgun owners along with the sales staff at the gun stores. Due to limited availability of firearms in some areas, store clerks may tell you what you want to hear to encourage you to purchase what they have in stock, rather than what would be best for your needs.

Hope I've been able to answer your questions.

gf

Yes, that helped, thx gf.

Semper fi, I have both Remington 870 and the Mossberg 930 SPX like them both

as for getting either a mossberg or an 870, i have both. and jiggling the two is not going to determine one is more rugged than the other. they are both well built platforms that have stood the test of time. i have a total of 3 mossbergs and just 1 870. one of my mossbergs is actually a really old police issue from the 60's when they still had the single action arm, and was a veteran to the detroit riots. but i hear people say that the mossberg sucks or is inferior due to a single action arm, and if that is the case, then i guess the model 1897 winchester trench gun that our boys used in the second world war was not very good either.
it all boils down to preference. i prefer the mossbergs for several reasons. and many of them stem from the way the weapons break down. if you have the two broken down in front of you then youll notice several differences. but non the less, i hope you found one that you felt best with. my next one will be a semi auto for sure. the pictures below are my work in progress on my Mossberg 500 persuader. i plan on transfering all of the upgrades to my 590A1 when my sight arrives from Trijicon in the next few weeks.

101_1762.jpg

101_1763.jpg

I've got a Benelli M1 Super 90 that serves as my HD scattergun.

I did however change out the foreend to the Surefire dedicated light series.

I doubt I'll ever need more than one or two shot shells in a home invasion scenario, assuming I even wake up and can get to the scattergun. I sleep heavy that's why there is a big dog that sleeps at the foot of the entry door. :biggrin:

Personally I don't care what you give me. Mossberg, Benelli, Rem 870 etc. If it goes bang and can hold at least 5 shot shells I'm confident I can manage the situation. I don't need doo dadds on the shotty. A light is sufficient. You can have your rails, foregrips and all that other garbage. You don't need special sights, lasers, Aimpoints etc with a scattergun. If you do, then you must be legally blind, of very poor eyesight or can't hit the broad side of a barn with any firearm.

People are more important than the hardware.

The 870 is just a better built gun...

Your grand-children's children will just love it... as it will still be around and running. There's a reason that the Remington 870 is the longest and highest volume continuously produced shotgun in history...

I have a 870, built in the 70's, handed down from my dad, with a +4 tube on it and a 18" cyl choke barrel. Yes, the tube sticks out 3-4" past the barrel, but it ain't a beauty contest... It shoots anything you feed it. It has in duck blinds, tree stands, in the ice, and snow, and rain, and mud...

Buy an 870. Take care of it. Pass it down to YOUR kids, almost 40 years from now... It'll be just as nice then.

Jeff

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back