Tactical Shotguns- Remington vs. Mossberg

SpaceFrank

I will soon be buying a shotgun for home defense. I want one with synthetic furniture that can carry 7-8 shells in the tube. A pistol grip and heat shield would be nice, but not necessary. I have been told that the Mossberg 500 is a little cheaper than a comparable Remington 870. I work weekends at Academy Sports and have thus been looking at a Mossberg 500 home defense model that we carry. As it turns out, being an Academy employee, I can also order specific models direct from the manufacturer with no markup. This leads me to consider the Remington more thoroughly, as I am now open to all the models my store doesn't carry, and price is much less of a factor.

Unfortunately, I've been looking at the Remington website and it seems that their "tactical" selection is rather limited. Am I missing something? If you gentlemen and ladies were going to buy a Remington 870 for home defense and required at least a 7+1 capacity, which one would you go for?

Check out the Mossberg 590-A1

If you want a proven tactical defense shotgun, my recomendation would be to find a Mossberg 590-A1 with the 20 inch barrel. While the 18 inch barrel is more common, the extra two inches on the barrel results in an 8+1 round capacity with standard (2 3/4) shells. The build is far more rugged, the heat shield and ghost ring sights are great and.. Oh yeah!... you can put a bayonet on it! Why? Why not?

Link Removed

Once you have your shotgun, I have found that the single best aftermarket addition is a Knoxx stock. A bit pricey, but amazingly effective.

Link Removed

Rack'em, SpaceFrank!:sarcastic:

The safety on the Mossberg is located on the top of the receiver. On a traditionally stocked shotgun this setup works well, but throw a pistol gripped stock on it and you can't release the safety while maintaining a shooting grip. Try one out and you'll see what I mean. If you want a pistol grip I'd definately go with the Remington (much better safety placement), if you're getting a more traditional stock either should serve you well.

That's a really good point, Tylersaurus. I hadn't thought of that. If I go with the Mossberg I may just get one with a regular stock.

I have a pistol grip on my Mossberg, and just like with any gun, using the safety is just second nature. My grip may or may not be disturbed, but I know I can get mine into full battery in no time flat...

I've shot 870s, 500s, 590s... In the end, they're all just pump action shotguns. I've been watching, and waiting... and watching... and I WILL have a Mossberg 590 Mariner this new year, sooner or later. :)

The thing that sold me on Remington 870's is the dual action arms. Mossbergs have only one action arm, which have been known to bend slightly over years of use and cause problems. Durability is very important to me when choosing firearms, and Remington seems to go that extra bit to ensure reliable use for many years.

The 870 Home Defense model I bought came with an 18.5" bbl and a 2 round mag extension that puts the end of the mag tube right under the muzzle. I replaced the stock with an ATI top folder, and put a black heat shield on her, it looks mean as heck. The capacity is 6+1, but for close quarters I would rather be able to maneuver around corners better with a shorter bbl, than have an extra shot or two, and the folding stock increases the maneuverability even more when it's up. Then at the press of a button, I can fire from the shoulder.

Mossbergs in the 1960s had a single action arm. They changed that about 40 years ago. Double action arms now. Very rugged. Mil spec. I own a Mossberg 500 and love it and trust it.

Of course, all that said, you can't go wrong with either the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870. I personally went for the Mossberg because of it's durability (not that I think the 870 isn't durable), but also because the safety on the Mossberg is good for lefties and righties, but the 870 is made for righties. I am, clearly, a lefty.

I think I'm going to end up going with the Mossberg simply because they have more options. Probably one of the 590A1s, because they have the heavier barrels and metal trigger guard, etc.

Link Removed

On that page, I'm looking at either the 51670 or the 51663. They each have 8+1 capacity and ghost ring sights. The only difference is standard stock vs. M4-style with pistol grip. Maybe even the 50771 (pictured above by Boomboy007), because it has the Weaver rail. Although I can't imagine putting fancy optics on a home defense shotgun. I may end up getting a heat shield put on later as none of the 590A1s appear to have them.

By comparison, Remington shotguns appear to max out at 6+1 capacity and have only one comparable model, found here:
Link Removed

I think I'm going to end up going with the Mossberg simply because they have more options. Probably one of the 590A1s, because they have the heavier barrels and metal trigger guard, etc.

Link Removed

On that page, I'm looking at either the 51670 or the 51663. They each have 8+1 capacity and ghost ring sights. The only difference is standard stock vs. M4-style with pistol grip. Maybe even the 50771 (pictured above by Boomboy007), because it has the Weaver rail. Although I can't imagine putting fancy optics on a home defense shotgun. I may end up getting a heat shield put on later as none of the 590A1s appear to have them.

By comparison, Remington shotguns appear to max out at 6+1 capacity and have only one comparable model, found here:
Link Removed

That is what my son and daughter got me for Father's Day this year. Mine has the speed feed stock but I am thinking about getting the Knox collapsible stock that has the shock absorber system in it. It is supposed to reduce the felt recoil by about 90%.

Who says you have to keep the safety on at all? I don't keep it engaged on mine. I don't keep a round chambered either, though. Say what you want, but to me keeping a round chambered on a firearm that you might need to fumble around for in the dark does not seem safe.

The safety on the Mossberg is located on the top of the receiver. On a
traditionally stocked shotgun this setup works well, but throw a pistol gripped stock on it and you can't release the safety while maintaining a shooting grip. Try one out and you'll see what I mean. If you want a pistol grip I'd definately go with the Remington (much better safety placement), if you're getting a more traditional stock either should serve you well.

Don't let Tatt fool ya!

Who says you have to keep the safety on at all? I don't keep it engaged on mine. I don't keep a round chambered either, though. Say what you want, but to me keeping a round chambered on a firearm that you might need to fumble around for in the dark does not seem safe.

The REAL reason that Tatt doesn't keep a round chambered is that is gives him an excuse to rack the slide, thereby making the BG platz. :sarcastic:

I've thought about it some more and I agree that the safety placement shouldn't be much of an issue even with the M4-style stock. However, I think the ghost rings are a bit overkill. If this weapon ever has to be used defensively, I doubt I'll be looking down the sights.

One other question: It seems that none of the 590A1 models come with a heat shield installed. Is there a reason for this? That is, would I be able to get one installed later or do they only make heat shields for the 500s and regular 590s with thinner barrels? If I have to choose between a 500/590 with a heat shield and a 590A1 without, I might go with the former.

I went with the 870...

I do not mean in any way to take anything away from the Mossberg 500, which I lusted over for a long time (and still do for that matter), but I finally decided on the Remington 870 (18" barrel)--mainly due to the seemingly superior construction and, at least for me, handling. I put a short Hogue stock on it (because everything on me is short and stubby), and I love it. My daughter has the same, and my son has a slightly more tactical version (w/ breacher), and everybody's happy! I also have an 11-87 that is the cat's meow, but stick with the 870 for the utmost reliability. If you're really counting pennies, though, consider Mossberg's "Maverick"--$200 and they work great.

Ghost Sights

Perhaps there are tactical situations in which ghost sights on a shotgun are desireable, but it's hard for me to imagine. A good bead is MUCH quicker, provides MUCH better visibility, is quite accurate, and generally allows a good cheek weld (I find ghost sights typically don't). I like ghost sights on rifles, and used to want one on my shotgun, but a retired Navy policeman and fellow gun enthusiast I know set me straight.

Why are you so concerned about the heat shield? It doesn't really do anything but heat up just as fast as the barrel does. My 500 doesn't have one and I have never been burned by the barrel, and I have countless thousands of rounds through it.

I know this wasn't one of your choices, but have you considered (or even heard of) a Saiga 12? A semi-auto 12 gauge SG with AK reliability. I particularly love the box magazine (which come in 2- 5- 8- 10- and 12 round capacities) because using 3" shells doesn't reduce the capacity.

For about $500, you start out with a basic "sporting style" shotgun, but the possibilities are endless as far as modifications and add-ons.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back