Tactical Pens and the TSA

bofh

Banned
Well, I finally got caught with Link Removed going through a TSA security checkpoint. This was the first time after I got it almost exactly 3 years ago. Apparently, the TSA screener knew a lot about tactical pens. I have taken this pen in the cabin on US flights and on international flights and never had a problem. Since this happened at my home airport and I had no checked luggage, I was able to just drop the pen off in my car. My flashlight was OK, so was my Link Removed and medical gear (including my Tourni-Kwik 4L tourniquets).

USACarry | Should You Carry a Tactical Pen?

PS: Yes, I was flying without a firearm this time due to the destination.

Only a matter of time until TSA caught on to those things. After all, they are advertised as weapons.
Another tool taken from our bag of tricks.

Of what practical use is a tactical pen as a defensive weapon?

A tactical pen is a deadly weapon use of which would trigger deadly force.

Of what practical use is a tactical pen as a defensive weapon?

A tactical pen is a deadly weapon use of which would trigger deadly force.

In an airplane or in a foreign country, a tactical pen is better than nothing when it comes to defending your life or the life of your loved ones.

JL Darling 97 is a tactical pen that looks like a Plain Jane Cross style pen. It's super tough and won't set off any TSA weenies.

You'll always have something if you know how to recognize something as a weapon.

I would rather use a tactical pen instead if a plastic cup for self defense on an airplane against a lethal thread.

I have used my flashlight for self defense on the street in a European country before, but that was a non-lethal situation.

I've never had a problem bringing a screwdriver in my bag, granted I don't fly very often. It's not a weapon, but it's probably as good as a tactical pen.

If you're talking about a checked bag, you can bring whatever you want as long as the destination and any layovers don't outlaw it. You just need to inform them ahead of time.

I once heard a rumor of a guy that had a gun in his checked baggage and his flight had an emergency layover somewhere. Apparently the location of the emergency layover didn't like what he was carrying and he was arrested as soon as the plane touched down. So you should probably watch out for that too.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back