switching from double to single action

stngray713

I am not really sure how to phrase my question to explain what I really mean but I will try, and you can interpret it how you read it. Is it bad practice to have one weapon a double action and one a single action when both are kept for defensive purposes? The reason I ask is because I was at the range the other day an I fired about 50 rounds from my DA revolver, then switched to my SA auto. The first shot from the auto REALLY surprised me. I know the shot should surprise you but this one felt to me like it was almost unintentional. It wasn't really unintentional though because I had the weapon aimed downrange at the target and put my finger on the trigger to press and it was a great shot, but I felt like my brain hadn't really sent the message to fire (if that makes sense), I don't mean I had my finger on the trigger when I wasn't ready to fire its just I felt I subconsciously fired. So I wonder is this a possible bad practice like sometimes carrying a weapon with a safety and sometimes not which could cause you to not dis engage the safety? I hope that made sense:confused:

I personally like to keep my carry weapon the same. I don't want to have to take the extra second to think about which gun i'm carrying and whether or not I have to disengage a safety on that particular weapon. I also prefer a double action for self defense because when your adrenalin stats pumping your fine motor skills go to **** and you need your fine motor skills for the safety.

More range time might help, but when most people are under stress, which would be the case if they needed to use a gun for self defense, their reflexes are more likely to be more instinctive than rational. For that reason, I stick to one type of pistol for carry. My carry pistol is a 1911. That is what I am familiar with and I find it is more accurate for me than a double action.

All right - no more jumping on this poor guy!

I know exactly what you're talking about. I took my instructor courses over in upstate NY, so due to NY's gun laws, I had to borrow a firearm for each course.

For one course, I shot with a Glock 30 (.45 ACP). I liked it. Double Action Only, and not terribly different from my M&P 45, which is my primary carry gun.

For the next course, I shot with a Colt Gold Cup 1911 (.45 ACP) - and OH MY GOD I felt like Wyatt Earp. The trigger pull on the 1911 was very light, probably 4 lbs, and with no uptake. By contrast, the Glock had probably a 6 or 7 pound trigger, and several mm of uptake before the break.

I found that with the 1911, I did find myself squeezing a dead trigger and had to remind myself to click off the safety on a couple of occasions (out of hundreds of rounds fired). With the Glock, that was obviously not a concern.

So my recommendation would be, if possible, to stick with one configuration for your defensive guns. So for example if you have a Colt 1911, and you decide that sometimes you want to carry an M&P 9mm, get the M&P with the manual safety by the slide, so that you're performing the SAME ACTIONS every time.

Then go practice. And practice some more.

I kind a know what he means also. .
I shot 2 rounds of PPC. First round I used my S&W model 27. Second Round I used a Beretta .45 Cougar. The Trigger on the S&W is akin to squeezing a stick of room temperature butter.
The Beretta s are known for a long draw, and as I was squeezing of the first DA shot of the match I kept waiting for the shot and it seemed like it would not come after that all was fine. I had to do a mental switch.

I would have to say practice with anything and everyting you can get your hands on since when it comes right down to it, it may not be your weapon you have to defend yourself with.

Sorry I knew I wasn't really going to be able to accurately explain myself (I have never been great at written communication)the part about the safety was just a comparison. I was more worried about the switch from DA to SA. I do practice quite frequently it's just that the DA is new to me so I haven't practiced much with it yet and therefore not yet a carry weapon. So not a question of practice except that we could all benefit from more practice. My main concern was would it maybe be better practice to use all SA or all DA for my main defense weapons but still keep and be familiar with other types. The experience was kind of like when you warm up to bat in baseball you swing two bats then when you swing one it feels really light. I was afraid that same condition may carryover in to real life. The problem I guess is that I am very familiar with my auto but not so much a DA revolver

Consistency in your manual of arms

So my recommendation would be, if possible, to stick with one configuration for your defensive guns. So for example if you have a Colt 1911, and you decide that sometimes you want to carry an M&P 9mm, get the M&P with the manual safety by the slide, so that you're performing the SAME ACTIONS every time.

Then go practice. And practice some more.

I agree.

Like others who posted before me, I believe that your defensive weapons should all require the same actions such that switching from one to the other will not give you any kind of unfamiliar sensation.

Under stress, you do not want to have to think about which of your guns you are holding and whether or not an action is required or not required (this could be disengaging the safety or if one has an SRT and the other a long DA pull...anything that would qualify in your mind or to your muscles as "different").

For defensive purposes, I strongly suggest that you go for consistency in your manual of arms.

Beware of the man with one gun - he's likely to know how to use it.

;)

Plenty of people have more than one different type of carry gun, but it requires significant practice.

I too agree with having one platform to carry. If possible know how to use as many types as you can. I am not saying go practice with different pistols, but having a clear understanding could be huge. I use a 1911 for carry and practice. All of them are set up the same.

As to that first shot after using the revolver: I'll bet it was a great shot. You probably shot it as it was supposed to be done. Kind of a surprise as you squeezed the trigger.

Plenty of people have more than one different type of carry gun, but it requires significant practice.
I have three different guns that I carry. Single action revolver, double action revolver, and a single (1911) action pistol. NO "required significant practice" needed. To each his own.

I have a carry gun that I use at the range (it is why I go to the range after all). My concerns about single/double are non-existent. I carry and use a 1911 .45 and that is what I practice with. Not better than anybody else's choices, just mine. Pick the gun for you, make it yours, and get great with it. Switch hitting for fun is one thing, but don't put your life on the line for it.

The best advice I can give is do what is comfortable for you. No one here can answer that question but you. I did the same and it’s great to hear opinions and I like that and still do. Listen to your gut and shoot what is best for you. You have to take into consideration all aspects weight, size, rounds and most of all comfort. Me personally I like my 2 DA’s my Glock 19 and my Sig Sauer P250. I fully agree with stick with one format for your carry gun. As far as safeties are concerned the best safety a gun can have is the operator. There have been discussions on which is safer SA or DA but, it all comes down to know your gun and it’s safeties and carrying it in the proper holster. Good luck with your choice

Without reading the entire thread: Never carry any pistol with which you are not intimately familiar. The previous comment(s) about getting more range time are, in my opinion, spot-on.

You do realize that the trigger techniques for revolver and semi-auto pistol are entirely different - Yes? (Trigger technique can, also, differ between larger and smaller handguns.)

As for staying with one type of SD handgun? I usually carry semiautomatic pistols. My wife usually carries a 357 Magnum revolver. Both of us are cross-trained. She uses semi-autos with equal ease; and I do the same thing with revolvers. It's all in how you train, and how often. Around here we go shooting a lot.

What this question actually tells me is that the OP is, still, new to all of this.

I think I know where you are comming from, I have a DA revolver for "Home defense" but also use a 1911 and do carry it on occassion, my EDC is a G23. I would say to practice with both til you ARE able to transition from one to the other. It takes a lot of trigger time to become intimate with a particular firearm, and just as much to stay proficient. When training with both, shoot the single action first, so you won't have the the heavy trigger pull mindset when you set down the revolver and pick up the SA auto! I do this when I am at the range. After some trigger time on both, switch again, you will learn to adjust to both. I will probably get laid into by those who are better than me, but it is a system that works for me. I can pick up both and use them interchageably without any hesitation. I have been shooting both for many years. practice is the key, gives you a reason to shoot more!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back