Survival vest 101

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
Hi All,
I have a survival vest article posted on www.alpharubicon.com in the preparedness info section called SURVIVAL VEST 101. I developed this vest and load-out for Search and rescue, hunting, bugging out and now it seems escaping hords of the undead. (Dang Zombies!)
Enjoy! and please provide feedback. It is how we can make our field craft better.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/survvestsfestus.htm

hi, festus!

i am familiar with the article. i have it in my favs folder under emergency preps. this is excellent, as it is similar to my own. i use a SAS vest i bought several years ago. i have a small first aid kit, food, tube tent, survival manual, bullets, water purification tabs, etc. i need to update it though just a little bit. :eek:

This is some good info,Festus.Thanks for sharing it.I read the article and looked at the pics.It appears to be the 'basic' tactical vest,am I right?
Centerfire Systems has tactical vests for about $40 and I am seriously considering getting one each for me and my sun.

Hd A Idea....

hey, what do y'all think of using those chi-com designed magazine carriers, lookslike suspenders with mag poucheson them? for folks who re strappedfor bucks{ and who ain't?!} this might could really help. as Han Solo once said" Chewie, little help is better than none!!":cool:

I think a vest is a good idea. I have a couple, one from Woolrich and a Sas vest like Boris. I also have a "battle bag" from Blackhawk loaded up. We need to have things ready just in case needed. When something happens is not the time to start looking and thinking what we need.

I use a vest in the pic

I have a universal vest with magazines for all of my pistols, handcuffs, knives, flashlights, smoke, etc. If you have an encounter you dont want to run through the house grabbing all of your stuff from closets, drawers, etc. Get one of these vests and have it ready. If you get into a serious situation you will have everything at your fingertips. May be a little cooky but it is certainly practical for a bad situation. Think about it!!

I've got a bug out bag for all the members of my family--even the wee ones. Festus ya just gave me one more fun thing to do and spend my kids inheirentence on.

Survival vest 101 RE:

I am glad the vest works for some of you. Other good choices are photographers vests, high quality fishing vests or some of the military surplus survival vests. It is important to be able to use the stuff that is in the vest, and it is also important that any battery gadgets use a common battery as much as possible. That way batteries can be cannibolized from item to item depending on needs. Be prepared to be comm-out and dark in the event EMP or power grid failure. I can have the vest, ammo and be out the door in less than 30 seconds (I don't run). I have one for each member of the family customized for the needs of each shooter and a heavy medic load out for my wife. I like the piece of mind that comes from being prepared.

another thing i do...

i also try to keep a kit in my vehicles. food water ammo blankets dynamo powered radio/flashlight/cellphone "Q" gadget. can use the vehicle as shelter if need to....

Doom On Me!!!

Well, Friends Every 6 Months Or So, I Like To Go Through My Vest And Check Stuff Out, Etc. Last Week, I Finally Made The Update. I Was Not And Am Not Happy.
1. I Could Not Remember The Last Time I Actually Had It On. Then I Remembered It Had Been Some Time And Had Last Worn It Recovering A Practice Cache. Well, Comrades, The Vest Didn't Fit!!!!! So I Moved Everthing To A Very Nice, Large Shoulder Bag I Recieved From My Friends At The N.r.a. I Am Loosing Weight So, Hopeflly, This Will Not Be A Permanent Problem . Important Because I Have Other Clothing Stored And I Need To Be Able To Get Into Tem And Operate If Needed.
2. Food. Check. Mess Kit. Mess Kit? No Mess Kit!!!!! I Only Have One So A Trip To Mil Surplus Some Where To Get A Few.
3. Weapons Check? Good Shape.
Lesson? Check Your Equipment!! I Even Made Some Improvements To My First Aid Kit!! So Check Those Vests Andmake Sure They Fit!!!

I'm a fan of "multi-use" things...the type of thing that you can carry around with you normally, and also use in an emergency. You learn how to use it proficiently, and are almost guaranteed to have it in any case. Recently, I got a Blackberry. As long as it's charged (chargers, AA battery chargers and manual chargers are available) it has many uses:

* Phone (obviously only works if the towers are still operative)
* Map - pretty decent road maps, and this works even if the towers are down
* GPS - Works as long as the satellites have a clear shot
* Flashlight for close work in a pinch; I frequently use it to find my way around in a dark room.
* Calculator, unit conversions, alarm clock, calendar, etc
* Can be loaded with any number of sounds - animal calls, high-frequency sounds, etc and will reproduce them pretty well on the speakerphone
* Camera and video camera - also records sound
* Any kind of reference, notes, books or extra information you have preloaded; it takes micro SD cards, which gives it a theoretically infinite memory
*Of course, it can also be used as an improvised kubotan

The possibilities are endless. You could load sound files for emergency phrases in 10 languages, or pictures and recipes for edible plants...and this is in addition to any other software you decide to load. You could use one 2 GB micro SD card for all your personal information, and the technical specs on all your guns in case of a field repair...or detailed topo maps...or whatever you want, really, so long as you can read it later.

A Berry, Treo, iPhone, etc will all fulfill these roles - the big advantage is that these features add no weight, no bulk and are in something that you should carry everywhere, anyway. In peacetime, they're also really great phones, too! :icon_wink:

Looking to update load out for vest

I have decided to edit the vest load out as follows, I am adding additional maps and charts, a small notebook and a small digital camera (the type that is built into small binoculars). This will greatly aid in identifying hunting areas, intel and bigfoot sightings:eek:

Survival vest update

I have begun to work out stroll wise using my real world vest for weight and endurance conditioning. Curiosity killed the cat so to speak and I just had to know how much I was lugging around. I made sure the vest contained 100 rounds of .308 match ammo, a full-size service pistol (Baby Eagle .40s&w) and two 12 rnd magazines.

27.52 LBS of gear

Not bad for an old man with a bad back. (two failed back surgeries to pick chunks of disk out of my spine)

I am losing weight and building muscle.

I will never have full use of my back for running or lifting, but I will not be a useless sheep either. I know my limitations. I will be shedding a few more pounds to allow for greater mobility. The vest keeps every thing centered on my core. That means less pain and more useful outdoor time.

Time to do inventory

Check those batteries...
Check expiration dates on meds/MRE's
Rotate ammo and clips

What do you recommend as a good survival manual/book to carry. I have a number of different ones, about eight. All are good but obviously I can't carry all of them in a bug out bag, pack or vest. If you could take only one what is the best one all around.

i was just reading this and i was wondering if a back pack with the water bladder would work just as well as a vest. I have the back pack already. So i was thinking mayb id' spend the extra 30 bucks on some 223 REM 75 GR BTHP/MATCH form hornady for my ar's. Do u guys think it' would be to heavy to carry two rifles id' hate to have to leave one at home. and also since 9mm is the most common handgun caliber, should i carry a spare hand gun in said caliber. I have mostly all metal hand guns like sigs cz's and 1911. i have a few plastic ones, but im afraid plastic wont last as long as the stainlees steel guns i have.

USAF Survival manual

What do you recommend as a good survival manual/book to carry. I have a number of different ones, about eight. All are good but obviously I can't carry all of them in a bug out bag, pack or vest. If you could take only one what is the best one all around.

FM21-76-1
MCRP3-02H
NWP 3-50.3
AFTTP(I) 3-2.26

SURVIVAL EVASION AND RECOVERY

It is waterproof and well thought out Newer versions are in green or tan...older versions are white.

If you do not have access to one of these...get a Boy scout field manual. It is not waterproof but has tons of good info.

Here is the deal...

i was just reading this and i was wondering if a back pack with the water bladder would work just as well as a vest. I have the back pack already. So i was thinking mayb id' spend the extra 30 bucks on some 223 REM 75 GR BTHP/MATCH form hornady for my ar's. Do u guys think it' would be to heavy to carry two rifles id' hate to have to leave one at home. and also since 9mm is the most common handgun caliber, should i carry a spare hand gun in said caliber. I have mostly all metal hand guns like sigs cz's and 1911. i have a few plastic ones, but im afraid plastic wont last as long as the stainlees steel guns i have.
Once you are on the move with your survival gear you are limited by the amount of weight you can comfortably carry. My plans are to get to the house and work from there. Carrying redundant weapons is going to wear you out. I would plan on one long gun and one hand gun. I would rather have that extra weight in ammo and water. These are the two things you can never have enough of. There is nothing wrong with a backpack to carry your stuff. Do what is comfortable for you. I prefer a vest because of the ergonomics involved and the organization of the pockets. A pack can hold more if properly packed. Put the really heavy stuff as close to the top as possible for extended carry comfort.

FM21-76-1
MCRP3-02H
NWP 3-50.3
AFTTP(I) 3-2.26

SURVIVAL EVASION AND RECOVERY

It is waterproof and well thought out Newer versions are in green or tan...older versions are white.

If you do not have access to one of these...get a Boy scout field manual. It is not waterproof but has tons of good info.

Thanks. Looks like Barnes and Noble has them. I may go by this week and take a look.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back