Survival Knife Thread

Sights on Target

A survival knife is an essential part of any survival kit. Many people have different preferences and ideas of what works and what does not.

So...What is your favorite survival knife and why.

I personally like the Becker BK7, originally made by Camillus and now made by Ka-Bar.
7 inch blade
12 3/4 inch overall
Link Removed

This knife has an exposed tang on the bottom that can be used as a pounding tool. Also, it works very well for chopping, cutting, spearing, and any other function that could be needed. The grip is very comfortable, but can be slick when wet. It handles well enough to cut very thin, but can chop through wrist size sticks with ease. It keeps an edge very well.

Make Mine a Benchmade Nimravus please!

http://www.benchmade.com/products/140

I was issued a Benchmade Nimravus in the Military. It is an incredibly tough piece of cutlery. Click link to view!

The Nimravus fixed blade has a large finger groove for added control.

154CM Stainless Steel blade (58-61HRC)

Features a drop-point blade

Full-tang, anodized machined 6061 T-6 aluminum handle

Includes multi-function nylon sheath

Blade Length: 4.50"
Blade Thickness: 0.115"
Blade Material: 154CM, D2 Tool Steel, or Trainer
Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC for 154CM, 59-61HRC for D2
Blade Style: Modified Tanto
Weight: 6.20oz.

Clip: No Clip; Sheath Included
Lock Mechanism: Fixed
Overall Length: 9.45"
Sheath Material: Soft Sheath with MOLLE® Capability
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/bench_140_nimravus.jpg

140 Details | Benchmade

I was issued a Benchmade Nimravus in the Military. It is an incredibly tough piece of cutlery. Click link to view!

The Nimravus fixed blade has a large finger groove for added control.

154CM Stainless Steel blade (58-61HRC)

Features a drop-point blade

Full-tang, anodized machined 6061 T-6 aluminum handle

Includes multi-function nylon sheath

Blade Length: 4.50"
Blade Thickness: 0.115"
Blade Material: 154CM, D2 Tool Steel, or Trainer
Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC for 154CM, 59-61HRC for D2
Blade Style: Modified Tanto
Weight: 6.20oz.

Clip: No Clip; Sheath Included
Lock Mechanism: Fixed
Overall Length: 9.45"
Sheath Material: Soft Sheath with MOLLE® Capability
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/bench_140_nimravus.jpg

AMEN on Benchmade. I have 4 folders and continue to buy them when I see one I like.

My Everyday around the property and woods knife is a Blackjack Knives AWAC. It stays with my woods / survival belt. Probably my favorite is one of the older Cold Steel R1 Military Classic. It's a copy of the Randall Model 1. It lives in my Bug out/ Get Home bag. I guess the USMC Ka-Bar would be my next choice. Old School still works for me.

Another decent survival knife in my opinion is the Fallkniven A1.
Link Removed

Features an 6.30 in. blade of VG-10 steel, and a 4.70 in. Kraton handle. Comes complete with a Zytel sheath.

You can pick one of these up for about $150 or so. It is a very good knife. I have never had any problems with mine. It performs fine cutting tasks along with those heavy projects.

my favs are

1. my kalishnikov bayonet
2. u.s. air force air crew survival knife
3. cold steel kukri.

csstoreonline_2094_707859

Cold Steel
Recon Tanto
Specifications:
Blade: 7"
Handle: 4 3/4"
Overall: 11 3/4"
Thick: 3/16"
Weight: 9oz.

Are there any folding knives that would be reliable in a survival situation?

Sure. Any knife can potentially be a survival knife. I usually carry a swiss army knife at all times. It has a saw blade and a few other useful tools. This is really my secondary survival knife. IMO, fixed blades are more versatile. They can be used for chopping and splitting wood as well as performing any cutting task.

Are there any folding knives that would be reliable in a survival situation?

Definitely.... There are many good folders that are quite good Survival Blades. I would look at the Cold Steel Gunsite Folders, or the Spyderco Military Folder to start. Benchmade also makes some excellent folders to fit the bill.

I carry this CRKT Sting on a daily basis on my boot. I absolutely love it. Sharp and extremely well made and tough. My only complaint was that the handle was very slick and I was afraid I's slip the handle if it were wet or sweaty or bloody or whatever. But I took care of that today by duracoating it with their soft sand additive. It's even better now!
Link Removed

I have a couple Helle knives and love 'em.
I have a Tamagami fixed blade, and a Dokka 4" folder. Nothing fancy, just a solid, sharper'n sh!t blade. Great for general bushcraft.
I also ha a SOG Seal Pup and Cold Steel tanto and Bowie. IMO, Helle beats them all.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back