summer time carry

Cari A.

Crazy Horse Lady
I was wondering, as I am still new to gun ownership, what one would say once summer comes and you open carry? What I mean is, currently because it is so cold, I wear a tshirt tucked into my jeans then my pistol then a sweatshirt over that. Come summer, as I will still carry, it will be more open and while some of VA is all for carrying of a fire arm and our 2nd amendment rights others are not.

What would you say or handle if someone shows distaste or open hostility that you are exercising your rights? I am proud of the fact I took all the steps necessary to carry and my ability to shoot and to field strip and yes, even get over my fear of a fire arm or any weapon really. Long story there.

in the winter i carry a sig 220 full size, during the summer i carry a smith and wesson j frame with a set of collins lip grips and just leave my shirt untucked. even in the event someone see's it so little showing above the belt that its nearly impossible to tell what it is. the only downfall ive found is sweat make's the alluminum frame corrode. i plan to rectify this by getting one of those new ruger polymer revolvers with a set of lip grips:biggrin:

I carry a Glock 19 .9mm all the time in a Blackhawk duty type holster. I can see in the summer the metal part that lays against my hip would get a bit sweaty...I can leave my shirt untucked and put it over the pistol but you will see it's outline..

What would you say or handle if someone shows distaste or open hostility that you are exercising your rights?

They usually won't confront you, they will just call the cops, which in nothing more than a slight inconvenience as long as you're legal. I never go to great efforts to conceal, but I rarely open carry. Usually a belt or paddle with an un-tucked shirt or jacket covering it. I'm not really worried if someone sees it.

Unfortunately in South Florida the opposite circumstance exists. It is "summer" nearly all the time and in Florida Concealed MEANS Concealed.

Open carry is not allowed at all, and having a portion of your firearm exposed, even in a "flash" can net you charges (that is really the only bad part of our carry laws). So here, a full size weapon is really hard to deal with and even smaller guns can become a problem.

Personally because I am in shorts and shirt most of the time and prefer to tuck my shirt, I have gone to a .380 (either a P-3AT or an LCP) and pocket carry it, right front pocket in a guru convertible holster.

I do carry my PM-9 IWB on occasion, I have the cross-breed super tuck holster which is both really comfortable and allows you to tuck a shirt, even if it is the wierdest looking holster out there. When it gets cold enough (rarely) for a coat, I may carry my full size Beretta, but mostly it resides bedside or in a fanny pack if I am going to "bad" areas.

Unfortunately in South Florida the opposite circumstance exists. It is "summer" nearly all the time and in Florida Concealed MEANS Concealed.

In that case, I would probably use a concealment T. Replace some buttons on your favorite shirts with velcro and the gun is fairly easy to get to in a hurry. If accidental exposure were an issue here, I would not belt carry at all. Accidental exposure is just too easy.

I always carry concealed, I don't care for open carry unless on the trail. Always pocket carry with a mousegun, either my LCP or Beretta 21A. Neither one prints in jeans or shorts so I never worry about it.

I've never been one to have to carry the biggest bore on the street. I spent nearly 50 years in Los Angeles with some of the nastiest gang problems and crime, and never carried there so carrying anything here is a positive.

Can some of you direct me to what a few smaller weapons look like? Are there web sites or links you can direct me to? I am curious as to what they are, as I may approach the husband about buying a smaller weapon for me when summer comes.

Can some of you direct me to what a few smaller weapons look like? Are there web sites or links you can direct me to? I am curious as to what they are, as I may approach the husband about buying a smaller weapon for me when summer comes.

Cari A.... You have picked a magnificent firearm for self preservation in the Glock 19!! Let me turn you onto a neat little store that I frequently shop. It is called Glockstore.com and they have all kinds of accessories including concealment holsters and clothing etc... Look under the concealment holsters category and also check under the concealment clothing;

GlockStore.com - Glock Parts & Accessories, Glock Magazines & Apparel

Living in a state with very similar laws to Virginia (Washington) - I just don't worry about it. If it shows, it shows. With my CPL, if it doesn't show, than it doesn't show. I've been asked once by a Wal Mart manager to cover my firearm, so I flipped my sweatshirt over it until I walked out of the store. One other time a CC'er asked me if my gun should be concealed. I said, "Nope". He said, "Well, I carry mine concealed". I just ignored it.

Been carrying for two years and that is the extent of my negative experiences.

By policy I carry concealed, no matter the temperature.

With that said, I carry the same guns in the winter as in summer off duty. BTW: Summer here is 9 months out of the year, hint, hint. Here's a few of the combo's I have used over the years:

4" N-Frame Revolver and J-Frame "snubbie"
Glock 19 and J-Frame
Glock 19 and Kahr PM9
3" GP100 and 2 1/4" SP101 and J-Frame
5" 1911 and J-Frame
BHP and J-Frame

The BHP, Browning High Power, is my current off duty gun with the J-Frame. I learned a long time ago how to "dress around the gun" and use a good quality Belt and Holster. 90% of my holsters are IWB's by people like Sparks, Rosen, del Fatti and Kramer. The list of makers would be what a smart man would call a "clue". I also use their Belts. People are usually amazed at how big a gun I tend to carry, given as how small I am in stature. Where there's a will, there is a way, and I don't carry in a Briefcase.

The reason I mention all this is to encourage you to look at your mode of dress and quality of gear. Don't "short-change" yourself by carrying a smaller gun than you should because, and you will have to trust me on this one, when the fecal matter hits the rotating thingie the Duty Size gun is easier to shoot well.

Biker

First it all depends on your body shape. I am a fairly large guy and so far my waist is smaller than my shoulders so I can carry an IWB full size gun and a cover shirt un-tucked with no problem. I carry everything from a SP101 in thunderwear to a full size XD45 in my IWB holster. Remember a carry gun may not be comfortable, but comforting. Carry the largest caliber you can handle (shoot fast and accurate) and conceal. For me I carry 357mag, 357 SIG, 45 ACP. I am not discounting the smaller calibers like 9mm, but as a combat vet from Iraq I can tell you that 9mm ball is not that great and a 380 is less than 9mm so I would not recommend anything under 9mm. I am not saying that a 25acp won't kill you, but the attacker might kill you before the attacker dies or is no longer a threat!:hang3:
I live in Kentucky and we have all four seasons here. I would tell you that if you do carry IWB in the summer you may want to consider Kydex because sweat does not go thru Kydex. I don't know if this helps, but fannypacks are great too.

try Mouseguns.Com New Index (no kidding, that's the sites name). They have information o'plenty :yu:

All great replies, I learned a lot and did some looking around at some very nice weapons too. BikerRN, read what you wrote and you have a point. I am a tall woman, 5'9" and while I have some nice curves, I am not "fat" and can quickly pull from the holster at my right hip and take aim.

I am a farm girl, I can usually be found in jeans, lace up ropers and t-shirts in the summer. Winter I dress about the same but have a sweatshirt on if I am cold or going out so I can just as easily carry concealed. I think part of my problem is I need to be more comfortable than I already am with my weapon and carry it more than I currently do.

Great sites too, loved looking at all the clothing and holsters and "toys".

First I am not discounting the smaller calibers like 9mm, but as a combat vet from Iraq I can tell you that 9mm ball is not that great

This is why no one should carry ball ammo for Self Defense. Good Hollow Point self defense ammo is amazingly better these days than what we had just a few years ago.

All great replies, I learned a lot and did some looking around at some very nice weapons too. BikerRN, read what you wrote and you have a point. I am a tall woman, 5'9" and while I have some nice curves, I am not "fat" and can quickly pull from the holster at my right hip and take aim.

This thread is useless without pictures! :man_in_love:

Crazy Horse Lady:

One of the reasons for a concealed carry is the tactic of surprise. Quite a few people claim a perpetrator will eliminate an obvious threat first. If someone conducts a crime while you are near, and they see you are armed, you are likely to be one of their first targets.

A local woman with a CCW permit told a story: she stopped at an empty rest stop, and entered the rest room with her handgun concealed. When she came out, a burly man waited to assault her, but when she pulled the gun, he went away, mumbling curses.

She felt strongly that, had he known she had a handgun when she walked into the restroom, that he would have struck her as she exited, disarming her.

It might be best, even if you are proud that you carry, to conceal that fact.

Cari,
I carry the same w/ me year round - Glock 30. What has worked for me might for you seeing as we both seem to be "country, jeans & a flannel" style. I have found that carrying in the heat w/my shirt untucked is uncomfortable against my bare side. So, what I personally found to work is wearing a muscle shirt {( or known to some as a wife beater.... sorry) my wife isnt sure how to take that one, lol! } tucked into my pants, and on top of that wear a regular shirt. The base shirt is minimal fabric, and rather thin, so I really don't notice it. If you are worried about the printing, wear a shirt w/ a pattern so it breaks up the printing of the weapon. I can even get away w/ a button down unbuttoned over top instead of a t-shirt.

Good luck, mot

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back