Summer Carry.

TheLefty

I know that sounds like a leggy 70s model, sorry.

I grew up wearing suits and jackets. It's second nature. In the fall and winter, carrying is effortless. I have a vertical shoulder holster that I like, and even though my weapon is the PX-4 Storm full size, with my holster and jackets everything just simply fits. So, winter is covered. But then, summer.

Hand in hand with wearing jackets as a youth, I have also always tucked my shirt in. I hate the shirt out look. I hate the "UnTucked" clothing line. Hate, HATE, HATE!!! But now, as I've started carrying regularly again, I do see the advantage.

But I still HATE it.

What are the options that remain in the summer if I don't want to wear my shirt out and I really don't want to go with an "in band" holster? I've researched, and come up with nothing. I'm hoping someone here can help.

TIA.
(First post, be nice.)

All the best,

TL

P.S., I live in Pennsylvania, and have a concealed carry permit. We do not open carry here.

I know that sounds like a leggy 70s model, sorry.

I grew up wearing suits and jackets. It's second nature. In the fall and winter, carrying is effortless. I have a vertical shoulder holster that I like, and even though my weapon is the PX-4 Storm full size, with my holster and jackets everything just simply fits. So, winter is covered. But then, summer.

Hand in hand with wearing jackets as a youth, I have also always tucked my shirt in. I hate the shirt out look. I hate the "UnTucked" clothing line. Hate, HATE, HATE!!! But now, as I've started carrying regularly again, I do see the advantage.

But I still HATE it.

What are the options that remain in the summer if I don't want to wear my shirt out and I really don't want to go with an "in band" holster? I've researched, and come up with nothing. I'm hoping someone here can help.

TIA.
(First post, be nice.)

All the best,

TL

P.S., I live in Pennsylvania, and have a concealed carry permit. We do not open carry here.

Im not 100% certain what in-band means but the CrossBreed Modular Belly Band is a great option or you can try. If you are wanting to go standard IWB you can always go with a SuperTuck and use either the J-Clips or V-Clips

Don't carry a full size gun. Something small enough to pocket carry, maybe a Ruger LCP or similar. Then it doesn't matter, shorts, pants, tucked in, not tucked in.

(
... well, was hoping I'd have a solution by now ...
)

This place has just turned into a ghost town lately.

But I used to carry my Ruger LC9s in a Cross Breed IWB holster and although it was much more comfortable than the Alien Gear cloak tuck holster I had before, it just got too uncomfortable all together in an IWB holster. Open carry is about as comfortable as it gets, I just choose not to open carry. My little 22 magnum revolver fits good in a pocket tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can you go ankle with a full sized weapon?
( and I was hoping for something that works with shorts )

But I hadn't thought of this.
Summer carry might require pants.

Thanks.

I bought a couple of pairs of tactical shorts that work well for pocket carrying my Ruger. Even with its extended magazine. Carry it in a little Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They do have tuckable holsters, otherwise, pocket carry is your only other option. I feel the exact opposite as you do...I hate tucking in a shirt especially in the summer time!!

If you don't want to go with an inside the waistband holster, your options are honestly going to be limited to your wardrobe.

I'm not sure what kind of style you go for, but you can try vests, sport jackets (linen, etc), wind breakers, etc.

Otherwise, a tuckable IWB holster is what you'll want to look for. Appendix seems to be the most concealable, but it comes with the cognitive challenge of ignoring the fact it's pointing at your junk. Also, it can be uncomfortable to sit. A 3-5º holster will be far more comfortable to sit, but is less concealable.

There's also belly bands and things like that, but the retention almost always sucks with those.

The OP hasn’t been on in 8 months but, I no longer carry the little Ruger I mentioned anymore- I’ve moved up to a Springfield XDE 45 compact that I carry in the summer time the same way I did the Ruger- front pocket carry in cargo shorts, in another DeSantis Nemesis sticky pocket holster. And that’s even with the extended magazine.

Carry your full-size Storm in the winter and get a smaller gun for summer carry. Or if you’re really not worried about printing and just can’t carry anything smaller, get you a good pancake holster for that Storm and a good stiff belt for strong-side OWB carry. If you’re really worried about printing, wear an undershirt with one of those Magellan button-up polo shirts over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP hasn’t been on in 8 months but, I no longer carry the little Ruger I mentioned anymore- I’ve moved up to a Springfield XDE 45 compact that I carry in the summer time the same way I did the Ruger- front pocket carry in cargo shorts, in another DeSantis Nemesis sticky pocket holster. And that’s even with the extended magazine.

Carry your full-size Storm in the winter and get a smaller gun for summer carry. Or if you’re really not worried about printing and just can’t carry anything smaller, get you a good pancake holster for that Storm and a good stiff belt for strong-side OWB carry. If you’re really worried about printing, wear an undershirt with one of those Magellan button-up polo shirts over that.

Let's cut to the chase:

Can you present from your preferred concealed carry system with your preferred platform and hit an 8 inch circle at 3 yards in under 2 seconds, COLD, every time?

Can you present from your preferred concealed carry system with your preferred platform, and do a FAST Test in under 10 seconds, COLD, every time with no points down?

Can you present from your preferred concealed carry system with your preferred platform, taking a big step off line and hit an 8 inch circle at 5 yards, with 5 rounds, in under 4 secs., COLD, every time?

Can you present from your preferred concealed carry system with your preferred platform and hit an 8 inch plate at 10 yrds, at will, COLD, every time with no time constraints?( bang, tink, bang, tink, bang, tink etc.)

Can you present from your preferred concealed carry system with your preferred platform and shoot a 5 shoot group at 5 yrds that you can cover with a credit card, COLD, every time?

Have you taken any formal training beyond a CCW class in the last 24 months?

Please get past the hardware/focus on the software.

Let's cut to the chase:

Can you present from your preferred concealed carry system with your preferred platform and hit an 8 inch circle at 3 yards in under 2 seconds, COLD, every time?

Can you present from your preferred concealed carry system with your preferred platform, and do a FAST Test in under 10 seconds, COLD, every time with no points down?

Can you present from your preferred concealed carry system with your preferred platform, taking a big step off line and hit an 8 inch circle at 5 yards, with 5 rounds, in under 4 secs., COLD, every time?

Can you present from your preferred concealed carry system with your preferred platform and hit an 8 inch plate at 10 yrds, at will, COLD, every time with no time constraints?( bang, tink, bang, tink, bang, tink etc.)

Can you present from your preferred concealed carry system with your preferred platform and shoot a 5 shoot group at 5 yrds that you can cover with a credit card, COLD, every time?

Have you taken any formal training beyond a CCW class in the last 24 months?

Please get past the hardware/focus on the software.

Probably not but if you can’t find a comfortable carry solution, none of that’s gonna matter if you’re not carrying because of being uncomfortable. Pocket carry might not be the “preferred” method of carry but at least it’s better than not carrying at all.

Probably not but if you can’t find a comfortable carry solution, none of that’s gonna matter if you’re not carrying because of being uncomfortable. Pocket carry might not be the “preferred” method of carry but at least it’s better than not carrying at all.

Bingo.

The things Eidolon mentioned are preferable, but worrying about all of that when you aren't carrying because you can't conceal it effectively or you're so uncomfortable you don't carry is like installing a turbocharger on a car without wheels.

Bingo.

The things Eidolon mentioned are preferable, but worrying about all of that when you aren't carrying because you can't conceal it effectively or you're so uncomfortable you don't carry is like installing a turbocharger on a car without wheels.

Exactly. But I assure you, Elidolon was purely just regurgitating what he heard from somebody else on another forum who had told me that exact almost same thing from someone else when I was in search of a better gun belt.

Hopefully he’s not one of those who believes in putting the wagon before the horse when it comes to a comfortable carry solution because I don’t care what anybody says, if you can’t find a comfortable solution that’s not gonna cause you pain, fatigue and discomfort then all that other stuff is useless if all you’re left with is only carrying for comfort rather than comfort..... ability.

It comes down to "Are you carrying a gun for self defense or is it the "Cool Factor"?" If you're not serious about self defense not only will you not practice or train but you won't carry if it's the slightest bit uncomfortable

It comes down to "Are you carrying a gun for self defense or is it the "Cool Factor"?" If you're not serious about self defense not only will you not practice or train but you won't carry if it's the slightest bit uncomfortable

Are you all of a sudden taking a change in stance? Because your response a few posts ago that really matched what a particular person said over on that other forum that you just have to tell everybody here about, now kinda resembles what my response was to that particular person.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back