Summary for getting a NR-CCW

Symgara

i have been kinda mulling around the site a little bit. Planning a trip to Mass in a few months and i would like to get a CCW for this state. I have read most of the posts here pertaining to that and seem to have come up with some questions as well as info i want to verify.

first off I do have a VA resident permit.

Questions
=============
I believe the Cost is $100 per year (1 year permit)?
can i apply by mail?
What do i need to apply?
Is there a list of counties/cities that a Non-Res should apply for a better chance at getting one?

My apologies if i am requesting info that has already been posted. I just want to have all the right info before i dive in head first :)

Thanx in advance
~Brian

It's a long process

to obtain a license in Massachusetts. First you need to call the Firearms Records Bureau to have an application package sent to you. Here's a link to their FAQ page http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Firearms+Registration+%26+Laws&L2=Firearms+Support+Services&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_faqs&csid=Eeops

You will most likely get a recording asking you to leave your name and address in order for them to send you the package. In about 1 week you will receive a package with two fingerprint cards, application, blank license and instructions. First time through it will cost you $200.00. This is for the back-round check. It used to be if you had an unrestricted license in your home state, Mass would issue you a Class A ALP. That is no longer the case. In order to receive a Class A LTC for all lawful purposes you will have to put down a reason for such a need. (A letter from a chief of police, or judge simply stating that you require a handgun for protection would be good) My last renewal took 55 days door to door. It's been as short as 30 days. I estimate a minimum of 60 days for the first license. Good luck

Joe

to obtain a license in Massachusetts. First you need to call the Firearms Records Bureau to have an application package sent to you. Here's a link to their FAQ page http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Firearms+Registration+%26+Laws&L2=Firearms+Support+Services&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_faqs&csid=Eeops

You will most likely get a recording asking you to leave your name and address in order for them to send you the package. In about 1 week you will receive a package with two fingerprint cards, application, blank license and instructions. First time through it will cost you $200.00. This is for the back-round check. It used to be if you had an unrestricted license in your home state, Mass would issue you a Class A ALP. That is no longer the case. In order to receive a Class A LTC for all lawful purposes you will have to put down a reason for such a need. (A letter from a chief of police, or judge simply stating that you require a handgun for protection would be good) My last renewal took 55 days door to door. It's been as short as 30 days. I estimate a minimum of 60 days for the first license. Good luck

Joe

not exactly required

Link Removed

You can just put down "Protection of Life and Property"
or "All Lawful Purpose"
About 10 Non-Resident who has received MassNR LTC-A told me that

also, the fee is only $100

Also. The fee for renewal is $100.00. If I remember correctly the initial backround check is an additional $100.00.

So it's actually possible/likely to obtain a permit to carry in Massachussetts? I was under the impression that the laws there were worse than here in New Jersey (NJ issues carry permits only to retired LEO, armored car security, and those that can prove "compelling need").

Perhaps someone could clarify the confusion?

So it's actually possible/likely to obtain a permit to carry in Massachussetts? I was under the impression that the laws there were worse than here in New Jersey (NJ issues carry permits only to retired LEO, armored car security, and those that can prove "compelling need").

Perhaps someone could clarify the confusion?
1: If you have a license/permit in Jersey or any state you will get a MA-NR LTC/A

2: If you was denied a permit from any US State it might be more difficult to get a MA-NR

3: If you don't already have a NJ permit, your chance is also lower for being approved for MA-NR

The last time I went through this process was in 2004. A few months earlier it was brought up on packing.org that simply writing, "All lawful purposes" was insufficient and applications were being returned if the applicant didn't provide a statement of justification.

So, just write something pointing out how you, "Fear injury to person and property." For example, you look like a rich tourist (expand on it). You'll want to make sure it's the sort of thing that is 24/7 or they might restrict the LTC to specific activities.

I renewed my unrestricted ALP (all lawful purposes) LTC (license to carry) last summer...$105 fee good for 6 years and it took almost 3 months to get my new one! My old permit expired while I was waiting and I contacted the LEO about when to come in to do the paperwork, fingerprint etc. I'm told the Criminal History Bureau is WAY backed up. If you are applying then do it quick!!! :icon_cool:

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back