suggestions on new full size handgun.

How do you carry it?

I also carry my M&P 40 daily. I use an Old Faithful Holster (IWB Kydex/leather) at about 3:30. Gonna' need something smaller when summer comes around me thinks. But if not, I'll figure something out.

I just bought a Metro Arms, American Classic II. I love it. I read an article in Handgunner Magazine about "Beer Budget 1911's" and it got the top score out of about 5 or 6 different 1911's. It only set me back about $525 new, so I can't complain about the price. I shot it at 21 feet (the same distance I shot at to qualify for conceal and carry) and it was a nail driver right out of the box. I highly recommend that gun to anyone interested in a 1911. Good luck with your gun hunt.

maybe your new gun is great maybe it isn't, that said, a gun is a tool that you use to defend your life, do you really want the cheapest tool out there or do you want the tool with a reputation of unquestioned reliability. penny wise and pound foolish can have dire consequences

If I had the money Id get lots of the guns listed in this thread. I have been wanting several XD
I really used to like the M9 Beretta (or 92FS if yeh want) and Im considering the newer M9A1 modal (or 92A1) either way its got the under rail and better sights then standard pistol. Reason I really like it, instead of love it now - is cause of the Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm I now have.. The XDm feels like it fits my hand better, then the 92 does (which I liked because if filled my hand better then smaller framed pistols)
They do have .40 cal versions of the 92 frame.

maybe your new gun is great maybe it isn't, that said, a gun is a tool that you use to defend your life, do you really want the cheapest tool out there or do you want the tool with a reputation of unquestioned reliability. penny wise and pound foolish can have dire consequences

a 9 dollar hammer is just as good as 150 dollar hammer... so long as its taken care of, treated right and tested thoroughly prior to actual use.

Not all of us can afford the 1,500 dollar ultra tuned Kimbers and such.. Id rather have something that is affordable while still being reliable.
those that do buy the super expensive guns while living on cheap are less likely to go practice with it due to ammo cost and worried about breaking it.
I personally don't like glocks, but if I had one id shoot it.. I just wouldn't go out and buy one heh.

As for the expensive 1911s, if your buying, ive got an eye out to own a few :p never hurts to have too many guns, unless you don't have enough ammo -which is also my current stocking plans..

There are a ton of options out there but I can toss out just a couple suggestions. In the 40 S&W department you could check out the Ruger SR40, Smith and Wesson M&P 40, and Glock 22. For 45 acp you could try one of the endless different 1911 choices. If money isn't an option you could try going with the Kimbers or if you're looking for a decent 1911 style pistol at a more affordable price you could check out Taurus, Rock Island Armory, or the Ruger SR1911. If you want to go with a more modern 45 pistol you could try the G21, Springfield Armory XDm 45, or Smith and Wesson M&P 45.

I'm a 1911 guy. So naturally a 1911 would be my first choice. Maybe a double stack for the extra rounds. I was looking at a really nice double stack Para at the pawnshop a few weeks ago.

That said, I like what I see of the FN FNP 45. That one ranks up on my list of pistols that I want to try.

edit: Woo check out the FNX - nice!
Link Removed

a 9 dollar hammer is just as good as 150 dollar hammer... so long as its taken care of, treated right and tested thoroughly prior to actual use.

Not all of us can afford the 1,500 dollar ultra tuned Kimbers and such.. Id rather have something that is affordable while still being reliable.
those that do buy the super expensive guns while living on cheap are less likely to go practice with it due to ammo cost and worried about breaking it.
I personally don't like glocks, but if I had one id shoot it.. I just wouldn't go out and buy one heh.

As for the expensive 1911s, if your buying, ive got an eye out to own a few :p never hurts to have too many guns, unless you don't have enough ammo -which is also my current stocking plans..

I didn't see where I recommended any levels of prices, if you read again I specifically said a reputation of unquestioned reliability is what is most important.
a very good used glock can be found for under $400 and you won't find a more reliable gun than that.
That said, there is a world of difference between the quality of my sig and the quality of many popular guns. YMMV

If you want a full size .45, check out the Glock 21 or Glock 21SF. (Nice to see so many other recommend it too!)

I own the former and absolutely love it. Zero issues, a joy to shoot and definitely concealable with the right gear (for IWB, I HIGHLY recommend the Crossbreed Supertuck!!).

The downsides to the 21...

The price of ammo, because .45ACP is not cheap. You said a .40 or .45, so I'm sure you've considered this.

It's rather large but this can also be a good thing. It is for me at least. YMMV.

The grip on the 1st and 2nd gen.... well, it sucks. Bad.

There's a few grip enhancers available (some even permanent) that I really like. But for right now I just use a simple Uncle Mikes rubber grip with finger grooves (couple bucks at Wally World). It makes the 21 an absolute dream to shoot!

The 3rd/4th Gens grips are much much better from the factory, so I'd recommend them if you can afford one.

Keep it mind it's a large weapon, so you may have to dress around it slightly (I'm sure you're aware but I'm just saying). I'm wearing my Crossbreed right now at around 3:30 in Wranglers and a navy blue t-shirt, very very little print.

The spare mag on my belt is more obvious than the Glock, FWIW. It's a double-stack 13 round mag... so it's far from tiny.

^ As for that, I'll usually use a Blackhawk mag pouch (the nylon/belt-loop type with the Velcro flap) for my typical day-to-day functions. With a multi-tool in a case next to it, most people don't look twice. It's kind of a "it takes one to know one" thing, IMO.

For deep deep concealment, Crossbreed makes IWB mag carriers as well. These work great under a dress shirt or anything else you can imagine. Might need to go up a couple inches in you pant size though. I own one of these as well and would definitely recommend them if maximum concealment is needed.

Other than that, the XD's are nice weapon systems, as well as the M&Ps. I'd recommend looking into them as well before making a decision.

The XD is great but doesn't fit my hands well... yet my uncle LOVES it.

And the M&P... well... it's a Glock with an even better "high tang" grip. Definitely recommended as well!!

Good luck and shoot straight!

You know you've received a lot of good advice so far. I believe the best that you've received is to shoot a lot of different guns by renting them at a range if that's an option for you. A lot of my friends welcome my trying out their weapons too. Find what fits YOU. And that you can handle and shoot well. That being said I chose my latest handgun, a S&W M&P .40FS because it fits my hand so well with the large back strap. It has the grip angle of a 1911 and shoots great. No problems so far with the trigger. But like was stated before it's like getting 3 guns for the cost of one. to shoot .357SIG all you need is an $85.00 barrel and to shoot 9mm Luger, all that is required is the 9mm barrel and a 9mm magazine. Try them all if you can. I myself don't really care for Glocks. to me they are Fuggly. ;-) I carry mine in a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard under an over sized shirt or sweatshirt. No problems so far. Good Luck, Later & Peace

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back