Suggestions Needed Please

mot mayhem

Hey guys/gals ! My dad is in the market for a semi, most likely a .45, probably a polymer. I think that after seeing my brothers new Glock 9mm he purchased for his Christmas present, he's finally gotten the itch to find another weapon. I told him to consider either the Glock,or an XD, but a couple of the guys at work also suggested a USP. I like the USP's, but they are rather expensive. (at least on my poor budget) So, I thought that w/ the array of knowledge and experience here, you all could help me help him weigh out the pros & cons of each.

Please, I don't mind opinions, but I don't want this thread to turn into a flame war of who is better, either.

Thanks to all in advance for your help!

Well as you can probably guess I am partial to HK's. However a Sig or Glock would not be a bad choice either. The XD I am not as familiar with but I know they have a lot of fans. I do not own a 45 at this time but if I were looking these would be at the top of my list. What ever he chooses I would stay with a DBL action or DBL action only. That is my personal preference over a single action. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Hey guys/gals ! My dad is in the market for a semi, most likely a .45, probably a polymer. I think that after seeing my brothers new Glock 9mm he purchased for his Christmas present, he's finally gotten the itch to find another weapon. I told him to consider either the Glock,or an XD, but a couple of the guys at work also suggested a USP. I like the USP's, but they are rather expensive. (at least on my poor budget) So, I thought that w/ the array of knowledge and experience here, you all could help me help him weigh out the pros & cons of each.

Please, I don't mind opinions, but I don't want this thread to turn into a flame war of who is better, either.

Thanks to all in advance for your help!

Between the XD and the Glock, I'd get the XD. If you get to looking at the USP, add the LEM (Law Enforcement Modification) trigger.

I would recmd a kahr any version (K, P, CW or PM) They are a bit pricy, but they are about the best out there. Go to a local gun shop and try out the feel of as many as possible. What feels best in his hand and has the most natural point of aim is usually the best.

Take your dad to a range and rent everything available and see what he likes. Buying a firearm is just like buying a home or a vehicle. You don't buy or rent a home without at least seeing it, you don't buy a vehicle without taking it for a test drive.

I love my XD 45 Service model. I am considering a Kahr CW 45 for carry purposes. The XD is a bit bulky for carrying in my opinion.

There have been many excellent suggestions made here. I'd like to throw the Para Warthog 45 into the mix. This is a high quality 10+1 round 45 that only weighs 24 ounces and is small enough for concealed carry. Most 45's of 1911 size or similar are really just too big and heavy for concealed carry. I have a 1911 clone so I know from experience when I say this. The Warthog is about the same weight as my polymer-framed Taurus PT-140SSP Mil Pro (40 S&W) and physically smaller. If I get another 45 ACP, this will be the one.

I would suggest Taurus PT 145 Millennium Pro .45 ACP Pistol if you are on a budget. I've had mine for a few years now and have never had a problem from it. 10 round mag and one in the tube, in a easy to conceal package. I personally find the recoil light and acceptable for a .45 cal. Uses all types of ammo and never a glitch!

Here is a link to an article with photos and a really good write up. Enjoy!!:triniti:

Taurus PT 145 Millennium Pro .45 ACP Pistol

I would second the Taurus. I own 3 and they all are very accurate, totally dependable, simple to operate and disassemble, and best of all, inexpensive. Look at the 24/7OSS for a full size, standard 24/7 for a mid size and Millennium Pro for a sub compact. Try 'em I think you'll like 'em.:smile:

Check the Bersa Thunder .45 and .40 for a top-notch budegt piece.

In the XD lineup you should look at the XD/M .40 as well as the .45 standard (there's a video on the masthead of the website of the M).

This is a choice he needs to make on his own. He should either go to a gun store or a range that rents out guns and make his decision based on his own preferences in looks, shootability, and feel, among other things.

I appreciate the responses so far. Theyare a help. I may add though that I believe the 1911 style w/ the larger hammer on the back would be out. I think he may be on the same line of thought as to why I like the smoothe back of the Glocks & XD's. The USP has a minimal hammer on the back, so something like that is acceptable. I unerstand trying first is a great way to go. That will probably be in the mix when we get to the store and are actually able to feel. But at least for now the suggestions always help to know what is available and preferred and why. Thanks again!

There have been many excellent suggestions made here. I'd like to throw the Para Warthog 45 into the mix. This is a high quality 10+1 round 45 that only weighs 24 ounces and is small enough for concealed carry. Most 45's of 1911 size or similar are really just too big and heavy for concealed carry. I have a 1911 clone so I know from experience when I say this. The Warthog is about the same weight as my polymer-framed Taurus PT-140SSP Mil Pro (40 S&W) and physically smaller. If I get another 45 ACP, this will be the one.

My EDC is a Warthog. It's an easy to conceal, easy to carry gun. My earlier post was based on the OP's request for opinions between two specific platforms.

I love my Glock 30. It shoots as well (and some days better) than my Sig P220. If he likes a thinner gun the Glock 36 might be a good candidate. Really he needs to handle and shoot the guns to see what suits him.

I like my glocks. both the 21sf and the 30sf. I shoot the 21 better, but i like the smaller size of the 30.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back