Suggest low cost handgun for home protection.

Nothing wrong with a HI-Point for around 200 bucks or less depending on caliber, i have a JHP45(45 cal) and have not had any issues with it and i have run about 600-700 rounds thru it and it has a lifetime warranty..

"now ducks as people throw things at me"

Birdshot is not adequate for home defense! Yes you'll pepper them but they will love and use you for what you have. #3 & 4 is suppose to be decent and buckshot # 4 is suppose to not over penetrate walls either but have great stopping power

I suggest a Smith and Wesson 38 cal. revolver for personal protection. it is lightweight and inexpensive. Rounds are not hard to get either.

It's all about personal preference. There are many good choices out there and several have been mentioned. Conspicuous by its absence is the Ruger P95. These guns are no longer being manufactured so you would have to look on the used market. It is easy to strip, it fits larger hands nicely, it eats pretty much any ammo you put through it, and it is manageable if you're recoil sensitive.

I have the P95DC model. My only criticisms would be the limited stippling on the grip and the mag release. A nice pair of hogue grips can alleviate the stippling problem. The ambi mag release is fairly easy to engage when drawing the P95 from a holster. That is why I think it's a better choice for home defense.

There are home defense instructors and firing ranges out there that will not only give you needed information, but have a variety of handguns that you can rent/try before you buy.

Some basic training and knowledge of local laws is as important, or more important than the firearm purchase. Get at least some basic training and try out as many different guns as possible. Then purchase the one best suited to your budget and circumstances.

Grandpa used to say " that's how I would do it, do as you please 'cause you will anyway":dance3:

Stay safe

First since you said handgun, and it was for home defense I would recommend a full size, 4-5 inch barrel. Since you don't have one now how long would it take you to save one to two hundred dollars more? That would open up your choices greatly. The suggestions of a revolver is a good idea.
If this will be your only gun for awhile I woul look for higher capacity in an easy to shoot gun like a Glock 17. I did find this > > >
SPRINGFIELD XD 9MM SERVICE MODEL BLACK | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore which is another great choice abd price looks good.
Good luck and hope your head isn't spinning.

Read lefty's advice again. Also contact your county sheriff. Ours offers home security surveys and will also give self defense suggestions. For sure, instruction before purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low cost is tough. Don't look for bargains in health insurance, medical care, laser eye surgery and personal protection. When you're under threat the loudest sound in the world is "click."

If you have made the decision to buy a gun, it probably means you are coming to grips with the sad state of the world, the nation, and where you live. It's a decision millions of people have made in the last several years alone. It is one that reflects a change in your outlook and possibly your lifestyle, since many people who buy a gun for home defense go on to concealed carry for personal defense. What you do next is pretty important.

There is an old saying that goes something like "buy quality and only cry once", or something like that. I once bought one of the low price guns mentioned here. It went back to the factory twice, and the third time the dealer sent it back for good. I replaced it with a quality gun for twice the money. Why do law enforcement and military use Glock, Beretta, Smith & Wesson and some other well known big name guns? Reliability and durability, and the ability to hold up under hard use and abuse. A handgun, especially a semi-auto, is a complex mechanical device. Do you really believe a $300 gun can be as good as a $600 one?

Second point. A gun is going to be the second most dangerous thing you own, next to your car. You learned to drive before you bought a car. Do the same thing here, and you'll be glad you did. Yes, shooting lessons will use up some of the money you were going to use to buy a gun. Save up, change your spending habits. Don't buy that new iPad or 3D television or fancy camera. Don't just join some Internet forum and ask, "What gun should I buy?" OK, you started out with the worst possible approach to the problem. Now do it right.

If this weapon is only for home defence a 12ga. shotgun is a better choice. A remmington 870 pump can be gotten for under 300.00. If a 12 ga. kicks to much try a 20 ga.

Where I shop a Mossberg is much cheaper and every bit as good of a shotgun as Remington. Their customer service is better too IMO.

Go to a pawn shop or gun shop and look at what they have fondle the ones that appeal to you to see what feels good to you, if possible go to a gun range and rent a couple guns you think you may be comfortable shooting. Price is secondary, the thing is what is comfortable for you and what you can shoot best, be it .45, .40, or 9mm.

Low cost is tough. Don't look for bargains in health insurance, medical care, laser eye surgery and personal protection. When you're under threat the loudest sound in the world is "click."

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the COST of life issue. My pappy always told me "it only costs a nickel more to go first class", well today it is more than a nickel, but what is your life worth. You get what you pay for and if what you pay for isn't going to respond when you want it too, it isn't worth the box it came in to begin with.
~
Don't rush into this decision and don't sell yourself and your family short. It could cost you EVERYTHING. Good luck and educate yourself about what you need for the job.

Hi point makes a great gun for about $150. to $200 . It' ugly and heavy but it's American made with a lifetime warrantee . I own S&W, Colt and Springfield armory pistols that cost $600. to$700. and my Hi Point works just as well as them . Their accurate , dependable and cheap TOO .

For someone new to guns or doesn't want to worry about practicing a lot, any service sized .38 spl or .357 magnum would be ideal You can pick up a 4" barrel S&W model 10 from Bud's Gunshop or others as a police trade-in for under $300. They are very practical and user friendly to those unused to guns in the household.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back