Subway discriminates against home schoolers.

HK4U

I receiveed the following e-mail today regarding Subway. I am including my e-mail to them.

Subway tells home schoolers: We will not allow you to participate in our contest.

Subway discriminates against home schoolers.

May 27, 2008

Dear Eddie,

Subway, the sandwich restaurant, wants to hear your child's story – unless he or she is home schooled.

The national chain's "Every Sandwich Tells a Story Contest" offers prizes and a chance to be published on the Subway Web site and in Scholastic's "Parent & Child" magazine but specifically excludes home schoolers. Subway's website states:

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Contest is open only to legal residents of the Untied (sic) States who are currently over the age of 18 and have children who attend elementary, private or parochial schools that serve grades PreK-6. No home schools will be accepted.

Subway will probably say they excluded home schools because of the main prize ($5,000 worth of athletic equipment to the winning child's school). But Subway could have given it to a local park, church or school of the winning home schooler's choice.

Subway's Web site promotion not only misspells "Untied (sic) States," but offers the grand prize winner a "Scholastic Gift Bastket (sic) for your home."

Take Action!

1. Send an e-mail to Subway President Frederick A. DeLuca. Tell him you will not eat with them anymore until and unless they allow home schoolers to participate.

2. Contact your local Subway store and give the manager the same message.

3. Please forward this to your friends and family, especially home schoolers.

Thank you for caring enough to get involved. If you feel our efforts are worthy of support, would you consider making a small tax-deductible contribution?

Sincerely,

Donald E. Wildmon,
Founder and Chairman
American Family Association Donate with confidence to AFA
(gifts are tax-deductible)

Please take a few minutes and invite your friends to AFA ActionAlert

Dear President DeLuca:

Because Subway discriminates against home schoolers, I will not be eating at Subway. I will explain to my friends that Subway discriminates against home schoolers. Should you choose to include home schoolers, please let me know and I will consider returning to Subway. We home schooled our daughter all the way through the 12th grade. She went on to graduste from Texas Christian University with a grade point average of almost 3.90. She is now half way through her maters's with a 4.00 grade point. average. How did you do in school. How about your children? I will be happy to eat at Quiznos from now on and will be sure to e-mail and call all my friends, family and church members about you policy.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
I forwarded this to my wife; she home schooled numba 2 son from 5th through 12th grade. Boy, will she be pissed. We've eaten semi-regularly at Subway for years. NOT ANYMORE, unless they mend their ways.

I only lament all the spelling errors in the letter. That's not indicative of something written by a home schooled student or their parents.

Update. I received the following today.

Donald E. Wildmon
Founder and
Chairman

Subway apologizes to home schoolers

May 28, 2008

Dear A.E.,

Your efforts made a difference!

Today, Subway apologized for excluding home schoolers from its "Every Sandwich Tells a Story Contest." AFA has verified a newly released apology from Subway by its partnering Scholastic public relations department.

The apology reads:

Regarding your concerns about the Subway contest that excludes home schools from contest eligibility, Scholastic and Subway apologize to all individuals who have taken offense at this. Our intention was never to make independent schooled children feel discriminated against or excluded from this specific promotion.

Throughout the course of the year Scholastic runs a number of contests and sweepstakes that are open to all teachers and students. The eligibility of this contest in particular was solely put in place to award a large group of children with the grand prize of $5,000 worth of athletic equipment. We do however understand how home- schooled children could benefit from this type of prizing and will make sure eligibility is open to everyone in future promotions.

We appreciate your feedback and will make sure a similar situation does not happen in the future.

I want to thank you for taking time to contact Subway. AFA has thanked them on your behalf.

Thank you for caring enough to get involved. If you feel our efforts are worthy of support, would you consider making a small tax-deductible contribution?

Sincerely,

Donald E. Wildmon,
Founder and Chairman
American Family Association Donate with confidence to AFA
(gifts are tax-deductible)

Please take a few minutes and invite your friends to AFA ActionAlert

That was quick. Kudos to Subway for reading the writing on the wall.

Unless they ignore a flood of letters for a while, I wouldn't read the original item in the contract as any kind of anti-homeschool agenda on the part of Subway. They probably hire a marketing firm to do this type of thing, which itself may contract with a lawyer somewhere to do the contract.

Individual Subways are typically franchises anyway, and rarely have any say in what promotional deals are going on.

Subway is OFF the Festus Family Christmas Card List

What a bunch of Bunk. I will not spend a dime at Subway. Quizno's on the othr hand makes some tasty sandwiches!:hyeah:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back