Subsonic Hollow points

cdffiremedic

CDFFireMedic
Im a bit confused by the term subsonic. I understand the theory behind a "slower" bullet causing more blunt force, but it seems to me that there must be other benefits, i.e. less likelihood of over penetration, reduced recoil, increased knock down power etc. Im also wondering if these are California legal for non LEO use.

Im a new concealed carry holder and am looking for a "more efficient" round in both .40 and 9mm. Brands would be appreciated!

Thanks again for the input!

Subsonic is no special round, therefore, should have no issues in CA. Check anyway. In 9mm most 147grain ammo is subsonic so any good defense round like critical defense or Winchester PDX1. As far as .40 not sure of the bullet weight that translates to subsonic.

Subsonic simply means that the bullet's velocity is less than the speed of sound or less than 1125 feet per second. In 9mm for example, 90% 147gn loads are subsonic because there isn't enough case volume to make a 147 go supersonic without going above accepted pressure levels for standard 9mm. Arguably, slower moving heavy bullets recoil less and give you more of a push than a snap. If you want to shoot suppressed, a subsonic round is a must since the supersonic crack negates the suppressor.

The argument of a slower moving heavy bullet vs. a light fast moving bullet can be debated until the end of time but it's a matter of preference really.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Just a comment/thought about barrier penetration: We have to train for it. I carry 220gr (45ACP) Hornady Critical Defense because I want the barrier penetration capability before the HP expands. The reason is my geographical location: people wear leather and thick jackets half the year...but I train to vector shots to avoid hitting with over penetration if it becomes a concern. Example, dropping to one or both knees to cause rounds to angle upward, shooting downward towards groin (pelvic girdle hit puts anyone down immediately), etc.

If one doesn't train for this, or just train shooting paper from a typical stance with a 2-handed grip, then I'd recommend avoiding ammo designed for penetration and stick to typical JHP's for SD use, like HydraShok, Corbon, PDX, American Gunner, Golden Saber, etc....

Naturally if carrying FMJ ammo, over penetration is much more probable....

I personally don't care for frangible ammo for SD use, but would rather someone carry that than FMJ, or God forbid not carry at all!

While over penetration is always a concern , I recently read the occurrences of it happening and hitting an innocent is fairly unusual....

L8R's!
<S

As for over-penetration, rule #4 still applies: Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

Remember, there is no guarantee that a JHP bullet expands. It may just zip though its intended target. Also, you might just miss your intended target. Now what? What's your intended backstop? In many dynamic situations, there is no good answer for that. When your life is in danger, you need to act fast and decisively. That's one reason why shooting downward towards the groin is sometimes recommended no matter what ammo you shoot. However, shooting someone in the chest is more likely to stop the threat than shooting someone in the pelvic area. Also, when in close contact and shooting unsighted from the hip, shooting at the pelvic area is a level shot and not downwards. In this case, shooting upwards is recommended.

As for vectoring shots by taking a knee, that's for specific situations only, like shooting from behind cover. Taking a taking a knee means you are not moving. Not moving means you are a stationary target that is easy to hit, just like at the range.

Just a comment/thought about barrier penetration: We have to train for it. I carry 220gr (45ACP) Hornady Critical Defense because I want the barrier penetration capability before the HP expands. The reason is my geographical location: people wear leather and thick jackets half the year...but I train to vector shots to avoid hitting with over penetration if it becomes a concern. Example, dropping to one or both knees to cause rounds to angle upward, shooting downward towards groin (pelvic girdle hit puts anyone down immediately), etc.

If one doesn't train for this, or just train shooting paper from a typical stance with a 2-handed grip, then I'd recommend avoiding ammo designed for penetration and stick to typical JHP's for SD use, like HydraShok, Corbon, PDX, American Gunner, Golden Saber, etc....

Naturally if carrying FMJ ammo, over penetration is much more probable....

I personally don't care for frangible ammo for SD use, but would rather someone carry that than FMJ, or God forbid not carry at all!

While over penetration is always a concern , I recently read the occurrences of it happening and hitting an innocent is fairly unusual....

L8R's!
<S

I don't always comment on five year old Zombie threads

But when I do it's because I found a Spambot

As for over-penetration, rule #4 still applies: Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

Remember, there is no guarantee that a JHP bullet expands. It may just zip though its intended target. Also, you might just miss your intended target. Now what? What's your intended backstop? In many dynamic situations, there is no good answer for that. When your life is in danger, you need to act fast and decisively. That's one reason why shooting downward towards the groin is sometimes recommended no matter what ammo you shoot. However, shooting someone in the chest is more likely to stop the threat than shooting someone in the pelvic area. Also, when in close contact and shooting unsighted from the hip, shooting at the pelvic area is a level shot and not downwards. In this case, shooting upwards is recommended.

As for vectoring shots by taking a knee, that's for specific situations only, like shooting from behind cover. Taking a taking a knee means you are not moving. Not moving means you are a stationary target that is easy to hit, just like at the range.

EDIT: That's 220gr Critical DUTY.

Also wanted to point out it's a polymer tip HP, giving better initial penetration before the HP expands.
See manufacturer info for details...

Sent from my iPhone, Ohio CC licensee. Retired USAF.

EDIT: That's 220gr Critical DUTY.

Also wanted to point out it's a polymer tip HP, giving better initial penetration before the HP expands.
See manufacturer info for details...

I know both rounds pretty well and suspected that this was a typo. Critical Defense is not barrier blind. Critical Duty is and is a law enforcement round. In any case, expansion is not guaranteed, neither is a straight line of travel through a body.

I know both rounds pretty well and suspected that this was a typo. Critical Defense is not barrier blind. Critical Duty is and is a law enforcement round. In any case, expansion is not guaranteed, neither is a straight line of travel through a body.

Ahuh

Sent from my iPhone, Ohio CC licensee. Retired USAF.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back