Stupid things cops say!!

BigSlick

I ran across this article the other day. I can't believe a cop of all people told a reporter this.

"The Remington rifle is not only dangerous for its power, but it’s easy to hide, said police Officer Robert Bell. Bell explained that anyone can take the barrel off the rifle to hide it in their back pockets or present it as a smaller gun."

I consider myself to be well informed but I have never seen a Remington rifle that a person could remove the barrel to hide it in your pocket then reassemble it in order to commit a crime. Me thinks this cop watches to many spy movies.

Here's a link to the entire article, it's good for a laugh: Link Removed

Phillip Gain

My opinion - the cop was probably misquoted by the reporter. (Reporters are the WORST at getting facts right.) I imagine he said hide it in a BACKPACK which would make more sense.

I can't imagine how one would "present it as a smaller gun" otherwise.

Firefighterchen

OC for Tactical Advantage
I was really hoping you were going to say, "everything they say is stupid"...

But maybe that's just my bias against police in general coming out

shiloh13

Stupid Things People Say

I will be really happy when people start talking about the good things "cops", police officers do! No I am not an officer but am very close to several. I know of a few officers that got killed by drunk drivers while directing traffic at night. Was that stupid? Yes on the part of the drunk! How would you like to deal with deaths, 2 suicides in a week and come home in a good mood because you had to witness that or see someone cut in two from a wreck. I know of one officer that saved a lifeless child this week from the training he received but I guess their all stupid. I hope if you ever have to call 911 you get that stupid "cop". Because of your comment I will not be back on this site because I have no tolerence for ignorence. I would advise you to ride with an officer for a day or two to see what they face in a day. Good Luck to you Sir!

sgtbill

Ok my turn. How many of you people READ the article. Officer Bell seem's to in fact, made the comments.
1. 20 gun's off the street will not make any dent in the crime rate in any city in this country with a population of over maybe 500 people.
2.What small Remington rifle.
3.A .25 Cal. weapon FIT'S in someones hands. Give me a break ALL weapons fit in someone's hand's.

This is a reporter that has no knowledge of weapons and a Police Office that only has a limited knowledge of weapons. Neither one of wich is qualifyed to make a STATMENT about weapons.

And no I am not down on Cop's I was one for over 25 year's
Bill

Last edited:

FN1910

I hear people say stupid things every day. I read stupid things that people have posted on the Internet and in this forum every day. As far as I know I probably say stupid things every day and if you think you don't ever say something stupid you are fooling yourself. A reporters job is to take a comment made by someone and put it into an article that has a fifth grade reading level. Therefore a lot of comments are going to sound stupid. When trying to explain something that requires more than a fifth grade knowlege in a fifth grade level it is going to sound stupid to anyone with a greater understanding.

I don't know what the discussion above was about but it does sound stupid but cops and reporters have not cornered the market on stupid comments. It is fine to make fun of stupid comments made by reporters and cops because about half the comments made are just as stupid. It all makes for great entertainment.

TooCalm

A friend had a Remington .22 that was built off of a Browning Patient. The barrel is removable, but I disagree that it fits in your back pocket.

Unfettered Might

Μολών λαβ&
shiloh13:211219 said:
I will be really happy when people start talking about the good things "cops", police officers do! No I am not an officer but am very close to several. I know of a few officers that got killed by drunk drivers while directing traffic at night. Was that stupid? Yes on the part of the drunk! How would you like to deal with deaths, 2 suicides in a week and come home in a good mood because you had to witness that or see someone cut in two from a wreck. I know of one officer that saved a lifeless child this week from the training he received but I guess their all stupid. I hope if you ever have to call 911 you get that stupid "cop". Because of your comment I will not be back on this site because I have no tolerence for ignorence. I would advise you to ride with an officer for a day or two to see what they face in a day. Good Luck to you Sir!

They chose their profession, end of story. Dont let the door hit ya on the way out.

localgirl

As a former journalist, let me share a few things with you.

Reporters are not trained to write at a fifth grade level. We are trained to write in short, clear statements with a minimum of punctuation and lots of paragraphing. This may equate to a fifth grade level by the time all is said and done.

We are trained to place vital information at the beginning of the story, and place less relevant details towards the end.

We are trained to gather information from a variety of sources when necessary, and to use the information provided from those sources as the foundation of our articles. Quotations are statements from others that must be recorded with care, related exactly, and treated as sacred.

We are trained to never inject our opinions into stories. We are trained to remain neutral at all times, no matter how ridiculous, offensive, or egregious the material is. Just report the facts. Period. Opinions go on the opinion page.

Now, I realize that many of you have had negative experiences with the media, and believe there is some kind of "liberal agenda" going on there. I can only tell you that you need to consider the sources. There may be "news programs" that are sharing information with you that have a hidden agenda, but I assure you, even the large news outlets with long-standing reputations have nothing to gain by being on one side or the other. Their bills are paid by advertisers, not readers.

Journalists, real journalist, take a lot of pride in their work. The majority would never stoop to sully their reputations by being "yellow" or reporting anything slanted or biased.

There is also not an editor looming over anyone, forcing them to write such-and-such, or censoring them. Editors and journalists believe in the First Amendment as strongly as you believe in the Second.

Now, if you choose to get your "news" from people who are no more than actors getting paid to read scripts, than you risk being entertained rather than informed.

It is a journalist's job to get the facts to you, but it's also your job to think about where that news came from, compare it to other pieces of news out there, and finally decide for yourself what is truth.

Sadly, with the death of newspapers, your job will only get harder, as any self-styled reporter off the street can now inundate the Web with random and often incorrect information.

As a former photographer,writer, and editor, I can tell you that reporters are more interested in being the first to break an exciting piece of news, or expose a scandal, or report on something that benefits the public, than they are in promoting some kind of agenda.

Journalists can and do get facts wrong, either because they didn't dig deep enough, or because they relied on their sources to provide information. I myself once reported a story based on a police briefing, only to be called by the grieving widow and told the facts of her husband's death were incorrect. It turns out she was mostly angry and just wanted someone to unload on, but that's part of being a reporter, too.

Journalists may not be perfect, but they try to get it as close as possible. So, as the old saying goes, don't kill the messenger just because you don't like the message.

Firefighterchen

OC for Tactical Advantage
shiloh13:211219 said:

I assume you are quoting me...

1.) Dealing with people gives you no reason to be a jerk. My first job ever, as a cashier, I dealt with more a-holes in a day than as police officer would in a week!
2.) As a paramedic, I deal with the same people, I deal with more dead people, I deal with more sick kids...and worst of them all...I deal with police...
3.) I will only call the police to report for legality reasons, not for help, they are too slow for that

There are forums on goods things police officers do, they are just small...guess why?

depps74

As far as how large media outlets get paid, they get a lot of their funding from different federal areas. Yes they do gain something for slanting the news. Or they may lose their funding. Look it up. Im not saying all of them do but in fact some do. That my friend is fact.

localgirl

As far as how large media outlets get paid, they get a lot of their funding from different federal areas. Yes they do gain something for slanting the news. Or they may lose their funding. Look it up. Im not saying all of them do but in fact some do. That my friend is fact.

Links to these facts would be helpful.

BC1

Not a bash against LE but I was watching COPS one night and the LEO kept shouting "on the ground." The perp was already on the ground. I thouhgt it was pretty funny.

localgirl

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there are some good cops out there, I'm certain. Unfortunately, I seem to meet more of the bad ones.

There has been more than one occasion when I have had to tell an officer his approach was aggressive and his attitude inappropriate.

But think about the last time you were in a highly charged, tense scenario, blood pumping, adrenal going. Most of you are probably take-charge kinda guys, problem solvers. Then pair that with a man (typically) who thinks he is the boss, what he says goes, and who has virtual impunity to use deadly force. Now you've got a dangerous animal.

There are officers out there whose goal is to protect and serve, but I suspect there are a few more whose goal is to crack heads and take control.

BC1

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there are some good cops out there, I'm certain. Unfortunately, I seem to meet more of the bad ones.

There has been more than one occasion when I have had to tell an officer his approach was aggressive and his attitude inappropriate.

But think about the last time you were in a highly charged, tense scenario, blood pumping, adrenal going. Most of you are probably take-charge kinda guys, problem solvers. Then pair that with a man (typically) who thinks he is the boss, what he says goes, and who has virtual impunity to use deadly force. Now you've got a dangerous animal.

There are officers out there whose goal is to protect and serve, but I suspect there are a few more whose goal is to crack heads and take control.
I'm married 29 years. I've become accustomed to not being the boss! :biggrin::fie:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NearshoreRnD