Stupid Newbie Question - other states

joesmo

If I read the map right, if I live in Michigan, then I can drive into Ohio and use my Michigan CPL with no problem, correct?

What is the difference between "Honors Michigan Permit" and "Mi Res Permit Only"

Thanks in Advance.

If I read the map right, if I live in Michigan, then I can drive into Ohio and use my Michigan CPL with no problem, correct?

What is the difference between "Honors Michigan Permit" and "Mi Res Permit Only"

Thanks in Advance.

You are correct if you have a Michigan Res Permit you can carry in Ohio. One think to keep in mind is you can carry in Ohio but you have to honer Ohio's carry laws. So you may want to read up on them to make sure you're not caught in an "gun free zone" ect.

"Mi Res Permit Only" mean Ohio will only honer a Mi Res Mermit. Which means if I live in a state that Ohio does not honer I can not get an out of state MI permit and carry in Ohio.

Make sense? Hope I explained it ok.

"Mi Res Permit Only" mean Ohio will only honer a Mi Res Mermit. Which means if I live in a state that Ohio does not honer I can not get an out of state MI permit and carry in Ohio.

now this confused me. what is the difference?

Ohio honors Michigan Permits, it says Honors Mi Permit.

Florida says, Mich Res permits only.

Can I carry in Florida?

Am I reading that only the RED and the Black States I need to be careful - besides honoring all state requirements (ie gun free zones, etc). Am I correct in assuming if I am driving thru these red and black states that I would be OK if I have handgun unloaded and locked?

When a state specifies "Res. permits only" it means they will only honor that state's permits if the bearer is a resident of that state. If someone from Ohio got a Michigan permit, Florida would not honor it.

HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO

Yep...there's an echo. But what's important is that joesmo now knows the law of reciprocity :biggrin:

Last edited:
You guys aren't makin fun of me are you?

I said I was a newbie, i didn't know the distinction between resident and non-resident permits, so the language was a bit confusing to me. <sorry>

:-(

No, Joe, we're not making fun of you at all. And there was nothing stupid about your question. Unless you're up on the lingo it can be very confusing. Glad to have you here, and don't worry about Stupid Questions because there are very, very few of those when you are new to something.

No, Joe, we're not making fun of you at all. And there was nothing stupid about your question. Unless you're up on the lingo it can be very confusing. Glad to have you here, and don't worry about Stupid Questions because there are very, very few of those when you are new to something.

+1. When in doubt ask. It's a lot cheaper than getting in trouble with the law.

Welcome to USA Carry, joesma.

To answer your question, yes, you can go to OH and carry on your MI permit. Also, if a state is labeled as honoring the MI permit, it means that anyone holding a MI permit can carry in that state. If a state is labeled as MI resident permit only, it means that the MI permit is honored only if the permit holder resides in MI. However, in the case of MI, that's a moot point because the only people eligible to receive MI permits are MI residents.

You guys aren't makin fun of me are you?
No, I think that was us making fun of ourselves.

I said I was a newbie, i didn't know the distinction between resident and non-resident permits, so the language was a bit confusing to me. <sorry>

There are no stupid questions, so long as they apply to the subject at hand.

What would be stupid is for you to think you know the law when you don't, and then wind up in a lot of trouble. Better to ask up front and then avoid the police, lawyers, probation, etc.

You guys aren't making fun of me are you?

No one was making fun of you. You had a great question and I can see how it can confuse people.

"Shoots Running", was making fun of me! He answered your question but I felt it was still a little confusing and I tried to clarify and simplify by using the term non-resident.

jbyun saw what I was trying to do and that's why he said; "Yep...there's an echo. But what's important is that joesmo now knows the law of reciprocity"

We love questions, that's why Luke started USAcarry. So if you have any more, don't hesitate to ask!

Fred

Stupid Newbie Question

I believe it was Confuciius who stated,"Knowing we do not know is the beginning of wisdom."

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back