Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC) Hearing today

dojoman

Hey guys and gals,

Today at 1200(EST) LIVE on CSPAN3 there will be a "Discussion on Guns on College Campuses" any and all whom can need to watch this. I'll be streaming thru my dumb-phone. Here is a link if you are lazy to find it
http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN3/

I watched a bit of this. Thought they did a good job presenting the facts. Very professional. The guy fron the Brady Bunch seemed pretty weak to me. His ideas for changing society are pretty far out. Can't change the mind of a mad man. They just want to put more regulations & restrictions on lawful citizens.
The black fellow had a novel idea of Deputizing all CCW holders. Wonder how the Cops would react to that? Called them the "ANNOINTED ONES." LOL.

Well, I agree with the black guy too. And once the agree to deputizing all CCW holders, many students will feel safer (those that do not carry, I mean...) Then watch how many will get their CCWs after. We can't get rid of all the Brady Bunch -- there will always be someone who will oppose to the idea not only of citizens having guns let alone students? deputizing them? Just allow them to CCW and no one else will know who has what in their person and make the campuses safe.

I would like to see it legal for CCW holders to leave their weapons locked in their cars while on school grounds.
Deputizing CCW holders is not going to happen. There are too many legal issues. The county that deputized them would be financially and legally responsible for the CCW holders actions.

I would like to see it legal for CCW holders to leave their weapons locked in their cars while on school grounds.
Deputizing CCW holders is not going to happen. There are too many legal issues. The county that deputized them would be financially and legally responsible for the CCW holders actions.

I've heard this argument also, for CCW holders to leave weapons locked in their cars. However, ultimately that won't address anything, in my opinion. The two women that spoke in the video presented great arguments, a firearm locked in their vehicle would have served absolutely no purpose. I'm a college student, and the infamous blue "help" buttons may be okay in concept, for example if there was a bystander, but as far as self defense goes they are entirely useless. For many women on campus the concern is in fact being alone late at night. If someone grabs you, obviously he or she or whoever is a victim is unable to reach the blue buttons to call for help. I'm not trying to entirely derail to "help" buttons, and they can be useful if you notice a suspicious person and are able to reach the button and dial for help, but as a whole I think they're pretty useless. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

I do understand some of the concerns of allowing students to CCW on college campus, but I also think the approach we have taken thus far is not working, we might as well try something different.

I've heard this argument also, for CCW holders to leave weapons locked in their cars. However, ultimately that won't address anything, in my opinion. The two women that spoke in the video presented great arguments, a firearm locked in their vehicle would have served absolutely no purpose. I'm a college student, and the infamous blue "help" buttons may be okay in concept, for example if there was a bystander, but as far as self defense goes they are entirely useless. For many women on campus the concern is in fact being alone late at night. If someone grabs you, obviously he or she or whoever is a victim is unable to reach the blue buttons to call for help. I'm not trying to entirely derail to "help" buttons, and they can be useful if you notice a suspicious person and are able to reach the button and dial for help, but as a whole I think they're pretty useless. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

I do understand some of the concerns of allowing students to CCW on college campus, but I also think the approach we have taken thus far is not working, we might as well try something different.

We have the blue light poles that call the police all over my campus and when I went on a ride along with the police, the cop told me they are used so much for jokes instead of real emergencies, that the police take their time responding to them. The university actually ended up removing a large portion of them because they did no good.

Responsible students need to be allowed to exercise the use of their CCW permits to protect themselves. That is the only solution to campus violence.

In agreement on the matter of The "Blue Buttons", truly a waste of tax payer and student dollars. Also in agreement that a firearm in a locked vehicle is virtually useless. How to proceed with a concise resolution is the real question here. There isn't a single solution for self preparedness for the potential victim. Self defense, Stun-guns, Pepper spray, ect, are only useful in certain situations. A sidearm in a vehicle as well. Education and alerts to the masses as to specific threats as they arise are helpful, but do noting to prevent an attack in progress.
At UM we have had a serial rapist roaming around for the past three weeks. Sketch pictures posted, stepped up security, citizens watch groups etc, still the perp has evaded capture while managing more than 6 attacks in a four day period, of which half of the victims were raped. To this regard their has been much discussion regarding the right to conceal carry while on campus. With many students claiming to have begun arming themselves, irregardless of Campus/State/Federal policy(s). This is a sad fact of the times we live in, where inevitably, potential victims will go behind bars for taking steps to protect themselves.

Exactly why "gun restrictions" only harm the law abiding and prevent them from protecting themselves.

Exactly why "gun restrictions" must be removed by law abiding citizens under the auspicies and consideration of the 2nd Ammendment..... which IS a "right". NOT derived FROM the Government, but from the ideal of freedom.

Biggest "chuckle" of all; "Gun Free Zones"! Nothing more than "Soft Target Zones", if you ask me.

The Second Ammendment is a "Natural Right"! If you, personally, do NOT wish to exercise that right, be my guest. On the other hand, do NOT have the audacity to try to tell me that because YOU don't wish to exercise your right, you are going to try to preclude the rest of us from exercising it. (What collosal arrogance!)

GG

In agreement on the matter of The "Blue Buttons", truly a waste of tax payer and student dollars. Also in agreement that a firearm in a locked vehicle is virtually useless. How to proceed with a concise resolution is the real question here. There isn't a single solution for self preparedness for the potential victim. Self defense, Stun-guns, Pepper spray, ect, are only useful in certain situations. A sidearm in a vehicle as well. Education and alerts to the masses as to specific threats as they arise are helpful, but do noting to prevent an attack in progress.
At UM we have had a serial rapist roaming around for the past three weeks. Sketch pictures posted, stepped up security, citizens watch groups etc, still the perp has evaded capture while managing more than 6 attacks in a four day period, of which half of the victims were raped. To this regard their has been much discussion regarding the right to conceal carry while on campus. With many students claiming to have begun arming themselves, irregardless of Campus/State/Federal policy(s). This is a sad fact of the times we live in, where inevitably, potential victims will go behind bars for taking steps to protect themselves.

What a horrible situation--I'm certainly not one to suggest students go against campus/state/federal policy, but I can imagine I would be hard pressed to leave a firearm at home knowing a serial rapist was on the loose. I actually just received my ccw permit in the mail yesterday. I am very excited--I have thought the decision over for years and was thrilled to finally send all of the paperwork in. But as a full time college student, I have been thinking more and more about being required to leave my firearm at home (whichever firearm I do decide to purchase). As a young female, my biggest threat is on a college campus, I am very adamant about steering clear of dangerous situations. However attending an evening class because I have morning arrangements should not have to classify as a dangerous situation.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back