Striker vs hammer - any issues?

dgsalmon

I'm contemplating buying a Springfield .40 XD-M. I'm guessing that the striker design on the Springield is similar to the bolt action internals on a rifle (or am I wrong about this)? Are pistols that use the striker more prone to failures than pistols with a hammer?

Thanks,
D.

Short answer- No.

Long answer - Noooooo! :pleasantry:

Real long answer, you can get opinions either way but if there was a problem then with the millions striker fired pistols out there it would have shown up in large quantities by now. The XD is a first class pistol so don't be concerned about it.

Short answer- No.

Long answer - Noooooo! :pleasantry:

Real long answer, you can get opinions either way but if there was a problem then with the millions striker fired pistols out there it would have shown up in large quantities by now. The XD is a first class pistol so don't be concerned about it.

+1 you shouldn't have any problems with the springer or a glock striker fired pistol. Just don't dry fire it unless you have a snap cap in it, dry firing a striker fired pistol ( so I've been told by a few gunsmiths) can cause damage or even possibly breaking the striker.

I have an XD40 and love it. Have about 800 rds through it without a single issue, not one. I highly reccommend it. I prefer the striker pin to the hammer because it's one less thing to snag my shirt when I'm drawing.

I have thousands of rounds through the glocks I own, no hiccups what so ever. And i dont know if i buy that whole do not dry fire thing about striker fired pistols, hell you have to dry fire a glock to field strip it. Anyone ever damage a striker by dry firing?

+1 you shouldn't have any problems with the springer or a glock striker fired pistol. Just don't dry fire it unless you have a snap cap in it, dry firing a striker fired pistol ( so I've been told by a few gunsmiths) can cause damage or even possibly breaking the striker.

Can't speak for the XD, but I can say that the Glock strikers are milled from a solid piece of metal. No harm can be done to the firearm by "dry firing". I strongly recommend dry fire practice with your Glock.

gf

Not sure about the structure of the XD striker (although I bet it's the same as glock since everyone called these kind of weapons 'glock-clones'), but you're right, to field strip the XD, you have to dry fire it also. I don't care for that feature, and I think it's removed on the XDm, but nonetheless... i also think it's not an issue with striker-fired (internal hammer) pistols.

Oh, and do yourself a favor... buy the compact or sub-compact XD. Regardless of barrel length, get the shorter grip. You can always add the mag extender to make the weapon have a full-size grip while at the range, but short for CC.

Last edited:
If you have one of the small Kel-Tec autos like the 380 Auto P3AT do not EVER dry fire it! Forget the firing pin...you will damage (bash) the threads on the "button-head" extractor spring retaining screw (Kel-Tec owners call this the "Frankenbolt"). If you ever need to replace the extractor/spring assembly you'll have a devil of a time getting it out. You may have to drill it or just send the gun back to Kel-Tec. Use snap-caps and you'll never have a problem. BTW, my P3AT is the only gun that I use snap-caps in.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back