Street Wars? What ammo?

2beararms

As I continue the ever ongoing task of planning and updating a SHTF "kit" I started thinking to myself in terms of what ammo or weapons may be scrounged from the streets should an actual "war" break out.

My figuring is 9mm, .40 and .223 I base that on the fact that much of the military still carrys M-9s (pmm), Local LEO generally use .40 Glocks and Military M-16 and LEO AR-15's are generally .223 except for some H&K MP5's and that's back to 9mm.

My current weapons would be a Beretta 9mm and a Kel-Tec PLR-16 but if things get bad, I am not adverse to "acquiring" whatever may be laying around.

I guess my wonder is where the AK plays in it all. Seems as soon as action breaks out, AKs are everywhere ... will that be the same here?

Obviously there is an amazing growth in AK's in areas where cash is not king and there have not been that many stolen recently so who is arming our ghettos?

IF the SHTF in a big way, you are probably going to use your guns to acquire other guns & Ammo..
SO I think IMHO that you are on the right path.. It would be hard to imagine a real invasion of our country (I'm not saying it couldn't happen). Nato rounds is where I would start, and if I wanted to do anything extra, I'd go with the AK rounds.

I have an AR in .223 but always wanted an AR10 in .308. Like Hootmonsccy said you can always start with what you have and "trade up" as you go. Nato rounds are plentiful.

My fear is not an invasion of our country as much as it is a blend of civil unrest caused by something like a banking collapse leading to an infrastructure collapse meaning loss of power, fire, police and other "government" services.

The response would likely be dispatch of whatever government units could be mustered, however the backlash to this could be in the dispatch of troops with orders to attack our own citizens, our own brothers. I beleive in such an instance the muntiny rate could be critical and a decision at the GI level of "which side am I on" could tear the armed forces into chaos.

That could be followed by an uprising of those citizens who currently feel repressed, and could now be easily stimulated into attempting to "better" their position.

My and your postition meanwhile in all this is simply in the crossfire.

Yes, THAT is my fear!

My suggestions would be handguns in 9mm, 40, 45 auto, 22 LR and 357 mag. Long guns in 223, 12ga, 308 and 22 LR. I would also have secondary long guns in 7.62x39mm, 30-30 and 30-06. You should be able to find these calibers in one way or another. They will be the most plentiful.

I would go with the long guns 30-06, 308, maybe 7.62x 39. 12 gage is a must and whatever you have for handguns when they are too close to waste my reach out and pick them off at ammo. Just stock up brother.

For the United States.
I believe The Only "War" to Break Out would be a Race War... Combine the Riots of Rodney King with New Orleans Disaster. Raise the level of Violence 300%.
Like 2beararms said, it would be social collapse..loss of power, water, public services that will fuel crime and violence.
Speaking of that.... You are better off stock piling a diesel Generator and fuel ...save the extra $1500.00 on a AR Pattern Rifle and invest in some basic survival gear...water purification etc.

Forget scrounging... The "Street Thugs" READ; WHOLE NEIGHBORHOODS of Like Minded Individuals, will incapacitate and relive the LEO of their firearms/ammo... The Police that DO Stay on and work... most, like New Orleans will leave to check their own keep. 2beararms is correct about Military forces, But, I feel most of the National Guard will not even show up for duty, leaving the other half that do, to follow orders or become looters themselves.
DO NOT Underestimate the weapons of the inner city gangs... They are VERY Well Armed. They Do Not carry their Best out on the street... They Steal and horde AR's, AK's...etc etc... When they get Busted for $100.00 of Drugs its the BullSh*t .380 Nickel Davis that gets Pinched.. "Another gun off the Street"... Right, They have 60 assault rifles in hidden away.

To Keep the topic on its course.... Look for the MOST popular Calibers... .22LR, .9mm, .38/.357. .40 .45acp.....223 and 12 Gauge Shotgun. If you have the money, purchase some inexpensive firearms...you may have to arm a trusted friend, relative or even barter with.... OR, If the "Authorities" come around like in New Orleans and start to Confiscate Guns for YOUR Safety... Wouldn't it be nice to hand in your $50.00 Raven .25 acp Sh*t Gun and a .20 Ga Single Barrel.... leaving your Kimber and AR-15 hidden in the house?
Far Better to plan a plan as they say... Fort Up with trusted people... All the Stores that make it thru riots and black outs are forted up and guarded by armed store owners and their FAMILIES...
High Ground, Roof Tops....
Paranoid? Hmmm Maybe, Maybe Not... LOL, But Just watch the News... Themz are Crazy Times!

I work as a Consultant for a Security and Medical Extraction and Evacuation Company... I live in the Philippines. These are scenarios that EXpats, Wealthy and Politicians Plan for EVERY Day in Most 3rd World Countries... Complete Social Collapse. Believe me, They have routes OUT... Its the Same everywhere.. The Gangs, Political Extreme Parties... They are well armed with loose weapons.. Stolen from the Police, Military or like the Drug Cartels in Mexico, They are actually the Police Themselves selling the military class Guns...

Stay Safe... Captain

Comforting to know I am on the right track as pointed out here. Concentrating on 9mm,.40, 5.56. and 12 ga. Interesting advice found here>>>will add .22lr for more then just my Ruger mkIII Hunter. Thanks

For the United States.
... These are scenarios that EXpats, Wealthy and Politicians Plan for EVERY Day in Most 3rd World Countries... Complete Social Collapse. Believe me, They have routes OUT... Its the Same everywhere...

Thanks for that thought. It is important to realize that we are just people in what for now is a better place, but the paper of the constitution cannot protect us, only we can protect ourselves.

plus, if you have any "odd" calibers, stock up on them as well. When it hits the fan, you will want ALL you can get to start out. As the saying goes, "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!"

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back