Still not comfortable

cam9910

I’m new to concealed carry, and I would “think” that the two carry guns I have would be much more comfortable then they are for me. (Kahr CM9 w/ a Desantis SofTuck and a S&W642 with a Highnoon Hidden ally - who has GREAT customer service for what it’s worth)

If I pocket carry, they are both great, but at times, the IBW is the needed option for the clothes I’m wearing. I know it must be me, and I haven’t found the exact "comfort zone." Standing, no problem, but sitting I feel like I’m getting jabbed with the butt of the gun and or both the butt and bottom of the holster.
I’m trying to not spend the $$$ for a Crossbreed or something like that based on the size of what I carry should be no issue with most holsters. Any thoughts?

I kinda falls back on you get what you pay for. I have a few Crossbreed Holsters and I really like them. I just save up my mad money and get one when I can afford it. The last gun I put on layaway, I bought the holster first. I even had the Crossbreed holster at home before I'd finished paying on the layaway and picked the pistol up. There are several options out there and sometimes it is just trial and error. I've heard good things about the Kholster, but I've never used one. There is also the MTAC. I was lucky since the first thing I tried worked good for me.

If you CC your piece, try the pouch from sportsmans guide, It slides onto your belt and is basically a fanny pack type deal...
Small pouch, zippered to stay closed.. you could also stick your cell phone or keys in it... Wont print, doesn't look anything like a holster and is not bulky.... Hangs on your belt and wont jab you when you sit down,,, I think it is around $20.00

The Crossbreed MiniTuck should fix your problem you get a discount if you are an NRA member.

I carry a J-Frame in a Galco King Tuck or a 4006 in a Crossbreed super tuck. The Galco is just as good an you don't have to wait 5 weeks for it. You do get what you pay for in a holster and will have to keep trying positions and holsters until one works perfectly. Even with the big gun and a golf shirt, it is still perfectly concealed and I sometimes don't even feel I am carrying it when sitting. Being the 4006 is a steel frame gun, it is heavy so a good belt is key.

Comparing the two, in my opinion, the Galco is better made and has held up better but it only holds a small revolver. The Crossbreed has a much more difficult task and it has done just fine. Lifetime warranty can't be beaten either on the Crossbreed.

Do it right and do and do it once. I use a comp-tac.way more bang for your buck than any crossbreed.and you will save money by buying one good holster than a bunch of cheapies.

Yeah, it's too bad Mark won't make the Minituck with the kydex for your firearm(s). I'd like to think it's the way to go with those pistols.

You're going to get a lot of opinion on which holster is best. Kydex vs leather. IWB vs OWB. I've seen this debate a hundred times. Everyone is right...and everyone is wrong.

You need to find a solution for you that is "comfortable enough" - but a little pressure or minor discomfort is a normal thing. In fact it's a GOOD thing as it reminds you that you are carrying.

Try a shoulder holster(if your choice of clothing will allow it), or even a ankle holster. Not everyone can carry on their side due to the comfort reason. A lot of it is just playing with the holster till you find your "Sweet spot."

I started with IWB in the 2:00 position, but then got a tuckable hybrid (leather and kydex) holster for my Kahr CW9 and wear the weapon in the 4:00 position (just over my back pocket, a little toward the hip). With this setup it is so comfortable I actually have forgotten that I am wearing it at times, no kidding. I know there are several out there of this genre (Crossbreed, kholster, Mtac, etc.), but I picked one up from Old faithful holsters for $40 because they deliver within a week and are the cheapest. They all seem to be pretty much the same to me, some have a greater range of adjustment than the Old Faithful but it is working great for me.
SN

You don't want to "spend the $$$ for a Crossbreed or something like that". So, how's that different than:

I want to keep my grass green but don't want to pay for water.
I'd love to have a perfectly luxurious riding car but don't want to spend more than I would for a Kia.
I want the supurbly tasting wine but want to spend only as much as I would for a screw cap top bottle of the stuff.

Get the idea? I use a supertuck for my glocks and I'll never go back to any other holster, even the more expensive and lavish leather handmade ones made by a horse hide guru's... BTW, had an issue with one and they treated me like a king by replacing it with a new one that I received in LESS than a week after dropping into the mail box to them for repair! A perfect holster for concealment with supurb customer service. I could pay much, much more for a holster but why?

Are OWB holsters an option at all? They are bound to be less "pain in your butt" quite lirterally and can conceal reasonably well under things like a vest.

I would recommend a holster from FIST. Take a look at what they have on line. I have carried comparatively heavy revolvers (two of them) in their leather holsters using a velcro attached clip, and have found these to be the most comfortable holsters made. Why? Because unlike the Crossbreed or the Galco or any other common holster listed here, these holsters can be made of Kydex (which I find very uncomfortable) or leather, and if you get one with the velcro clip attachment, they can be worn in an infinite number of positions. I used mine both strong hand and crossdraw, just adjusted the clip. Having a pair in both left and right hand gave me tons of options. Cant was fully adjustable, as was ride height. Not only for one set of clothing, but for ANY clothing that I wore. Quality of the FIST holster is second to none. I have seen holsters as well made, but none better. Give them a call and tell them what you want.

BTW - I do NOT work for FIST. I just believe in their stuff.

You might consider an upside down shoulder holster for the 642. I had one made by Safariland years ago and wish I still had it. There are some companies that still make this type holster. I could wear the gun under my left arm pit and easily draw it with either hand.

Check out Link Removed

They're similar to a crossbreed being leather backer with kydex gun pocket that locks into the triggerguard for retention, but they allow more holes for adjustment, and you can do your own custom "combat cut" according to the depth and cant you want it to ride at without voiding his EXCELLENT warranty (he's even been known to replace units the customers messed up when cutting).

It is a tuckable holster like the crossbreed, so it's really something that can be carried all the time. I also like it cause it's a little thinner than the crossbreeds, which is a definate plus for IWB.

You can use my coupon code 05-9197 and get 10% off (it gets me 25% off my next one and you'll get a code with your first purchase that works the same way). If the guns you have aren't listed, contact him anyway and he can still possiblly hook you up.

Your situation sounds very familiar! I finally landed with a PM9 in a Remora holster. Also go "up" just a little in size to a Taurus PT745, also in a Remora, and it feels "natural" like never before. In fact now I miss 'em when I'm not carrying at work. Maybe it would feel good for you, too?

Link Removed

Check out Link Removed

They're similar to a crossbreed being leather backer with kydex gun pocket that locks into the triggerguard for retention, but they allow more holes for adjustment, and you can do your own custom "combat cut" according to the depth and cant you want it to ride at without voiding his EXCELLENT warranty (he's even been known to replace units the customers messed up when cutting).

It is a tuckable holster like the crossbreed, so it's really something that can be carried all the time. I also like it cause it's a little thinner than the crossbreeds, which is a definate plus for IWB.

You can use my coupon code 05-9197 and get 10% off (it gets me 25% off my next one and you'll get a code with your first purchase that works the same way). If the guns you have aren't listed, contact him anyway and he can still possiblly hook you up.

Kholster: +1 that! Also, they are on sale right now (as of 9-9-2011)! Don't waste time. He offers a warranty and easy to work with.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back