Statewide purchase permit requirement amounts to "may issue" in some NC counties

John Longstreet

Statewide purchase permit requirement amounts to "may issue" in some NC counties

I'm in the process of relocating to NC. I have legal and current CCWs for the states of Florida and Virginia, both of which have full carry reciprocity with NC.

However, unlike in VA and FL, neither of these are considered valid for the purpose of buying a handgun in NC.

Only legal option to buy a handgun is to either:
a) participate in the Jim Crow era law forcing one to get the arbitrary approval ("may issue") from the sheriff of the county in which you reside in the form of a "purchase permit", or
b) get a statewide CCW permit, which takes 90 days and around $100, plus the cost of the mandatory 1-2 day "pistol familiarization" course (another $150, and if the classes in your area are full then you're not getting a permit that month, sorry).

For the CCW application, DD-214s---even for combat infantry, armorers and MPs---are not considered proof enough by the state of NC that you have the requisite experience with a handgun, and need to be taught such valuable pointers as which end the bullet comes out of, why it's better to buy a holster rather than stick the thing in your waistband, and why you should avoid brandishing your handgun to menace your common law wife, even if you really think it'll help punctuate your point about who bosses who.

There's a giant infantry base in Fayetteville full of people who have 10 times more respect and skill with a firearm than your average joe, yet they have to go sit in the plastic chairs for 2 days and pay a bunch of money to get the state of North Carolina's approval that they're not too ignorant to be trusted to carry a firearm around other people. Really, NC? Really?

Frankly, both of these options suck, but the purchase permit requirement sucks more. A number of counties (Alamance, Orange and Durham, plus others) are functionally "May Issue" at this point, as their restrictions amount to a deliberate effort to restrict and minimize the number of handguns owned by residents of the county. For example: Orange County (containing Chapel Hill, one of the few towns in NC to have their own town-level gun restriction laws) both limits the number of purchase permits you can apply for (1 a month) and also forces you to list 5 non-family references from the county who've known you for more than 4 years. Basically, if you haven't lived there for four years, you're banned from buying a handgun.

I was forced to sell all my handguns to move to my current state, and I deeply resented it. I'm not going to give my tax dollars to any NC county that feels a similar need to screw with my rights.

Can any NC CCWers help me out with this decision? Since I have no choice but to accept it, I want to pick a county where the purchase permit requirements are cursory and standardized: in a number of counties, it seems to be a $5, no fingerprint, 3 day process. While still prejudicial, this would at least allow me to quickly buy a new CCW piece and carry safely on my existing licenses (I verified FL at least is fine with this) while waiting the probably 3-4 month period it will take me to finish the state CCW process, which removes the need for the purchase permit at all.

I'm not willing to be disarmed for 3-4 months in an unfamiliar locale. Which counties should I be looking at? Any suggestions?

Sounds like you're in the military? Can't you pick and choose which state you want to call your home state? That would be a tough sell for me too and I would do anything (within) the law to keep from giving these jackasses my money period. Good luck.

I'm in the process of relocating to NC. I have legal and current CCWs for the states of Florida and Virginia, both of which have full carry reciprocity with NC.

However, unlike in VA and FL, neither of these are considered valid for the purpose of buying a handgun in NC.

Only legal option to buy a handgun is to either:
a) participate in the Jim Crow era law forcing one to get the arbitrary approval ("may issue") from the sheriff of the county in which you reside in the form of a "purchase permit", or
b) get a statewide CCW permit, which takes 90 days and around $100, plus the cost of the mandatory 1-2 day "pistol familiarization" course (another $150, and if the classes in your area are full then you're not getting a permit that month, sorry).

For the CCW application, DD-214s---even for combat infantry, armorers and MPs---are not considered proof enough by the state of NC that you have the requisite experience with a handgun, and need to be taught such valuable pointers as which end the bullet comes out of, why it's better to buy a holster rather than stick the thing in your waistband, and why you should avoid brandishing your handgun to menace your common law wife, even if you really think it'll help punctuate your point about who bosses who.

There's a giant infantry base in Fayetteville full of people who have 10 times more respect and skill with a firearm than your average joe, yet they have to go sit in the plastic chairs for 2 days and pay a bunch of money to get the state of North Carolina's approval that they're not too ignorant to be trusted to carry a firearm around other people. Really, NC? Really?

Frankly, both of these options suck, but the purchase permit requirement sucks more. A number of counties (Alamance, Orange and Durham, plus others) are functionally "May Issue" at this point, as their restrictions amount to a deliberate effort to restrict and minimize the number of handguns owned by residents of the county. For example: Orange County (containing Chapel Hill, one of the few towns in NC to have their own town-level gun restriction laws) both limits the number of purchase permits you can apply for (1 a month) and also forces you to list 5 non-family references from the county who've known you for more than 4 years. Basically, if you haven't lived there for four years, you're banned from buying a handgun.

I was forced to sell all my handguns to move to my current state, and I deeply resented it. I'm not going to give my tax dollars to any NC county that feels a similar need to screw with my rights.

Can any NC CCWers help me out with this decision? Since I have no choice but to accept it, I want to pick a county where the purchase permit requirements are cursory and standardized: in a number of counties, it seems to be a $5, no fingerprint, 3 day process. While still prejudicial, this would at least allow me to quickly buy a new CCW piece and carry safely on my existing licenses (I verified FL at least is fine with this) while waiting the probably 3-4 month period it will take me to finish the state CCW process, which removes the need for the purchase permit at all.

I'm not willing to be disarmed for 3-4 months in an unfamiliar locale. Which counties should I be looking at? Any suggestions?

if i recall correctly, i obtained a PPP (pistol purchase permit) by going to the Carteret County Sheriff's office and plopping down $5 to be able to purchase up to 5 pistols .. i think it was less than 2 weeks to get it .. now this was 5 yrs ago .. since then i have jumped through the hoops to get my CCP or CCW as you refer to it .. the average price here where i live is about $65 and $115 for the Sheriff Dept .. took 1 month at that time, but is probably closer to 90 days due to demand now .. you may find more local information at Link Removed .. there are about 3,000 members from all over NC .. someone may be able to give you better info ..

SB

i live in concord near charlotte i can buy as meny hand guns as i want to or have the money for . the shop i go to has ccw class all the time

JL. here's a few answers to your OP.

Your Fla permit is good in NC to CC but you'll still need to apply for a permit to purchase a handgun from the Sheriff in the county you reside in. YES, this is archaic but it is what it is. The permit is good for (1) purchase for 5 years from date of issue. You can purchase up to (5) handguns in any given year BUT you must have a permit each time for each purchase UNLESS you have a NC CWP issued by........YOU guessed it, the Sheriff in the county you reside in.

Your DD214 is acceptable for proof of gun safety. I made a copy for my package when I submitted my app.

We relo'd here from SC a year ago and do find some of the statues concerning CC permits a bit much. Although this is a OPEN CARRY State and feel free to OC within the guidelines of applicable Laws. I do personally feel that NO Sheriff should have such ultimate authority in issuing. If the Sheriff denies your application, you have absolutely NO redress per State Law.

As for selling your guns.............That just doesn't sound right. You sure you're not Fishing?

Union County is the most gun friendly County in NC. The sheriff's office is open 24/7 to get permits with no limits.

Thanks to everyone for replying!

mappow: so just to confirm, the state will accept a DD-214 instead of a safety course certificate for the concealed carry packet? Is so, that would be highly reasonable and save me both money and time.

And yes, I had to sell all my handguns (around 6) when I ETSed from the Northern VA area because I couldn't find work except in may-issue states with no VA or FL reciprocity. Thus, keeping them was an impossibility if I wanted to eat. And yeah, I resented the hell out of it. At least I got to keep my rifles and shotguns.

Thanks to everyone for replying!

mappow: so just to confirm, the state will accept a DD-214 instead of a safety course certificate for the concealed carry packet? Is so, that would be highly reasonable and save me both money and time.

And yes, I had to sell all my handguns (around 6) when I ETSed from the Northern VA area because I couldn't find work except in may-issue states with no VA or FL reciprocity. Thus, keeping them was an impossibility if I wanted to eat. And yeah, I resented the hell out of it. At least I got to keep my rifles and shotguns.

My county Sheriff accepted my DD214 as proof of training. (of course it noted Expert .45 Cal, yes wore a ribbon in uniform). Check with your Sheriff's office to confirm or call your local CWP Instructor for direction. YOU will need the CWP Class Cert for the application.

Sorry to hear about your forced sell but understand completely bout that eating thing. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back