States requiring a duty to inform police

codyusaf04

I've searched for about an hour but google's not giving me anything viable. Can anyone tell me if there is a place I can find a list of the states that require concealed carriers to inform police of a gun in the car? I'm traveling to Florida from Pennsylvania this summer on vacation and I already know I can't have my gun on me in the car when going through Maryland & South Carolina because they don't honor my PA permit but I wanna know if I have to inform police in any specific states that I'm carrying if I get pulled over. We all know how fast things can escalate & I don't feel like getting shot on the highway because some ******* finds out I have a gun if he makes me get outta the car. Otherwise I personally don't feel it's any officer's business if I have a gun when I'm not doing anything wrong.

Thanks in advance. And please don't just copy & paste the website to handgunlaw.us like the lazy-asses on almost every thread. Because they don't have **** about it either.

Check out Legal Heat, it's an app that shows open and concealed carry laws for all states. Some states say if You have to inform or not, but not all.

Just found another app in android play store called "Concealed Carry Weapons Laws". It shows if You have to inform LEO'S or not.

Handgunlaw.us is the most up-to-date source, in my opinion. What information can you not find there? "Must Inform Officer by Law" is listed right at the top of the PDF for each state.

What's interesting is that these duty to inform laws only apply to those who are carrying a firearm lawfully. Those who are carrying firearms illegally have no duty to inform, regardless of any legal requirement to do so, due to the criminal's 5th Amendment Right against self incrimination.

Once you have violated a duty to inform law, you no longer are bound by the law to admit to carrying a firearm due to your 5th Amendment Rights against self incrimination (confessing to violating the duty to inform law). Duty to inform laws are absolutely ridiculous.

Regarding travelling through South Carolina. You can legally transport your loaded firearm in your vehicle in South Carolina w/o a carry permit as long as it is secured in a glove box, console, etc. You just cannot have it on your person. Definitely look up the SC statutes to verify for yourself.

Here is the relevant section of the S.C. annotated code on the transport/carry of firearms.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(1) regular, salaried law enforcement officers, and reserve police officers of a state agency, municipality, or county of the State, uncompensated Governor's constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators;

(2) members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty;

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

(5) a person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossessing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person, while possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(6) guards authorized by law to possess handguns and engaged in protection of property of the United States or any agency of the United States;

(7) members of authorized military or civil organizations while parading or when going to and from the places of meeting of their respective organizations;

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;

(10) a person carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or fixed place of business or while in the process of changing or moving one's residence or changing or moving one's fixed place of business;

Howdy,

I don't know of a list but Arkansas is a state that does require you to notify the police.

Paul

I would not rely on an app for legal advice. You could go to each states code regarding concealed carry and print the code.

Howdy,

CharlesMorrison

WTH >>>>Over?

Looks like Mr. Morrison has been banned.

Several members received a PM from Luke stating to end all the personal attacks or you would be banned.

Mr. Morrison had a habit of quoting certain members and then making a vulgar or obscene comment that had absolutely nothing to do with the thread or any subject matter discussed in the thread and I guess he didn't take Luke's warning to heart.

Paul

Regarding travelling through South Carolina. You can legally transport your loaded firearm in your vehicle in South Carolina w/o a carry permit as long as it is secured in a glove box, console, etc. You just cannot have it on your person. Definitely look up the SC statutes to verify for yourself.

Here is the relevant section of the S.C. annotated code on the transport/carry of firearms.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(1) regular, salaried law enforcement officers, and reserve police officers of a state agency, municipality, or county of the State, uncompensated Governor's constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators;

(2) members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty;

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

(5) a person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossessing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person, while possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(6) guards authorized by law to possess handguns and engaged in protection of property of the United States or any agency of the United States;

(7) members of authorized military or civil organizations while parading or when going to and from the places of meeting of their respective organizations;

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;

(10) a person carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or fixed place of business or while in the process of changing or moving one's residence or changing or moving one's fixed place of business;

After further searching the relevant SC statutes I could find no requirement to inform LE unless you had a carry permit and the handgun was concealed on your person. IANAL so be sure you personally verify the validity of this post. Any input from SC residents/members would be welcome.

Howdy,

Looks like Mr. Morrison has been banned.

Several members received a PM from Luke stating to end all the personal attacks or you would be banned.

Mr. Morrison had a habit of quoting certain members and then making a vulgar or obscene comment that had absolutely nothing to do with the thread or any subject matter discussed in the thread and I guess he didn't take Luke's warning to heart.

Paul

Given, Like has never made any serious attempt to moderate this board I can't say that I am surprised

I told some members weeks ago that Luke would step-in and stop the B.S.

It didn't work.

You have to commend Luke for taking action when complaints were piling-up.

Looks like you have the colors reversed on this map. On the permit reciprocity maps you have red for "Permit Honored: No", while on this map you have red for "Must Inform Officer by Law: No." While both imply that the answer to the question is "No", we usually associate the color red with a warning and both questions have opposite meanings.

There is variation among "most notify" states. In Illinois the requirement exists only if the officer asks about a weapon. In some the notification is required immediately when the officer approaches.

Section 10
(h) If an officer of a law enforcement agency initiatesan
investigative stop, including but not limited to atraffic
stop, of a licensee who is carrying a concealed firearm,upon
the request of the officer the licensee shall disclose tothe
officer that he or she is in possession of a concealedfirearm
under this Act, present the license upon the request ofthe
officer, and identify the location of the concealed firearm.
http://ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/098-0063.htm
[/QUOTE]

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back