State of Indiana

txgho1911

Preemption is weak in the state. Older city or county law can still cause trouble.
There is no legal carry in the state without a valid license or permit issued by any state or country. License holder must abide by the terms of the license to be legal. If the license says concealed then it must remain concealed.
Open carry in this state is regularly debated by LEO and activists depending on jurisdiction.

NW Indiana cities may have a patchwork of more restrictive carry law. I know the city of Speedway has a law still on the books outlawing concealed carry. This is not enforced. Also the city of Indianapolis has a law against any possession of a weapon in a city park.

Recent changes:
Lifetime License to Carry Handgun.
State parks are legal for licensed carry. Some state parkes in Indianapolis border city parks.

Just a few points about the State of Indiana and current state of the laws.

Yea I noticed that when I was entering all the state's date into the recip map. Thanks for the info!

Preemption is weak in the state. Older city or county law can still cause trouble.
There is no legal carry in the state without a valid license or permit issued by any state or country. License holder must abide by the terms of the license to be legal. If the license says concealed then it must remain concealed.
Open carry in this state is regularly debated by LEO and activists depending on jurisdiction.

NW Indiana cities may have a patchwork of more restrictive carry law. I know the city of Speedway has a law still on the books outlawing concealed carry. This is not enforced. Also the city of Indianapolis has a law against any possession of a weapon in a city park.

Recent changes:
Lifetime License to Carry Handgun.
State parks are legal for licensed carry. Some state parkes in Indianapolis border city parks.

Just a few points about the State of Indiana and current state of the laws.

Most of what you say is correct except the part where you say that if the license says concealed, then your weapon must stay concealed. The Indiana permit is a "license to carry a handgun:" Nobody's license reads "license to carry concealed handgun. Also, as for the legality of open carry, in Indiana, unlike many states out west, it can only be done with a permit. Some municipalites, such as Gary, Indianapolis, East Chicago, and Merrillville, frown upon it and may even arrest open carriers, but they can and will beat the charges in court.

As for the preemption law, the law that was passed allowed ordinances that were already on the books, such as assault weapons bans in Gary and East Chicago, to stand.

Open carry was addressed as with the Indiana License to Carry Handgun.
As far as if a license says "concealed" pertains only to those only out of state issued by many US States and any country in the world. If you carry in Indiana on a Texas License you will carry it concealed to comply with state law.

I did not mistake in my statement above. My statement is not complete for there are restrictions in state law not included in my post.

ICC 35-47-11-1
(c) This chapter does not affect the validity of an ordinance adopted before, and in effect on, January 1, 1994.
Covers all regulation.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Open carry was addressed as with the Indiana License to Carry Handgun.
As far as if a license says "concealed" pertains only to those only out of state issued by many US States and any country in the world. If you carry in Indiana on a Texas License you will carry it concealed to comply with state law.

I did not mistake in my statement above. My statement is not complete for there are restrictions in state law not included in my post.

ICC 35-47-11-1
(c) This chapter does not affect the validity of an ordinance adopted before, and in effect on, January 1, 1994.
Covers all regulation.

Link Removed

Sorry for the misunderstanding. You did not specify the out of state provision in the last post, which led me to believe that you were referring only to Indiana permits.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back