state lines

willpruitt

If I have a CCW permit, do I have to have a lock box when I travel state to state?

The answer should be obvious. It depends on the state(s) you're traveling through and what states your particular CCW is recognized in. This is not a simple yes or no question.

Did you have to take a training class to get your license? If not, you need to arm yourself with the laws of your state and any other state you visit. If you don't know your rights, do you really have any LOL! If you did take a training class, what, if any, kind of info did your instructor provide? All instructors are not the same :)

"Do you need a lock box, they are cheap insurance

I am not a fan of ever leaving a firearm in a vehical. I think you should always take it with you. Some times like a visit to the court house you have no choice even so when locking up a firearm I always separate the ammo in another box and then disable the firearm. I use cable boxes that lock to the seat assem. I typically remove the firing pin on my .45 when flying, I have removed the barrel on smaller arms. Now days TSA may give you an argument about a barrel but the point is what I carried in my pocket wouldn't shoot. It was always just enough parts that the gun would not work. The firing pin has been through the scanners many times in my wallet and no one ever said any thing. I explained to a ticket agent once when checking in during open case inspection (not in the public area) that I had disabled the fire arms and had the firing pin in my pocket, she said she didn't want to see it but thought it was a good idea. I even took the firing pin into the court house through the inspection line one of the deputies said " what's this " I said just what it looks like I don't want to make it easy on anybody the rest is in a lock box in my car. She chuckled and said "good idea" and it's not sharp take it through.

The handgunslaw.us is out of data

That's because nobody has discovered a use for a domain named handgunslaw.us yet.

If I have a CCW permit, do I have to have a lock box when I travel state to state?

Maybe. You must abide by the state laws of the state you are in...

Unless you are traveling THROUGH a state on your way to a third state, then, if you choose (like you are traveling THROUGH New York or New Jersey) you can abide by the rules contained in FOPA and you will have an affirmative defense in Federal Court if the state prosecutes you for illegal possession of a firearm:

Link Removed

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Notice the words in FOPA are "shall be entitled to", though and NOT, "shall be required to."

Handgunlaw.us is a great guide.

Yes, but remember that their site is "for informational purposes only" and cannot help you in court, nor can you sue them for having inaccurate info on their site should you wind up breaking the law due to using that information.

Always have the necessary statutes of the State you will be traveling to/through printed out and handy. The actual statutes and the State's Attorney General's information are the only things that can help you in court and that doesn't mean that they will help you at the moment of a LEO encounter.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back