Started MMA training

KimberPB

A buddy and I were both talking about wanting to get back in shape. Well, I was a decent wrestler through high school and he has 16 years worth of martial arts training in 4 different forms. So I made a comment that we should buy up some equipment and train. Next thing I know we are at Play it Again and Sports Authority buying up a heaver bag, and some equipment. We started last Monday training 3 days a week and it feels good! I figured its a win win situation, not only am I getting back in shape but it'll also give me one more avenue of defense if I ever find myself in a bad situation.

So any of you guys/gals train in any forms of martial arts?

Boris and I took a couple years semi-private lessons from Michael Bussey. His brother Robert bussey started what was called RBWI Robert Bussey Warrior International. The nearest style that I can relate it to would be that of Jeet Kune Do because he was always seeking new fighting styles and always inventing his own . He had his black Belts in Takewondo and was a master in Ninjutsu.

Boris and I took a couple years semi-private lessons from Michael Bussey. His brother Robert bussey started what was called RBWI Robert Bussey Warrior International. The nearest style that I can relate it to would be that of Jeet Kune Do because he was always seeking new fighting styles and always inventing his own . He had his black Belts in Takewondo and was a master in Ninjutsu.

Nice! My buddy took Takewondo and was hand picked to train with a guy that train special forces guys. I can not remember the other two forms he took. I've never seen him fight but from what I've heard he was really good. It's nice doing it one on one were we can stop and fix things as we go. I've already noticed a big improvement in my boxing. Since I have the wrestling background we have been focusing on proper boxing and basic kicks right now. Can not wait to get into grappling!

Nice! My buddy took Taekwondo and was hand picked to train with a guy that train special forces guys. I can not remember the other two forms he took. I've never seen him fight but from what I've heard he was really good. It's nice doing it one on one were we can stop and fix things as we go. I've already noticed a big improvement in my boxing. Since I have the wrestling background we have been focusing on proper boxing and basic kicks right now. Can not wait to get into grappling!

Keep us posted on how the training goes. I would like to get back to some martial arts training however there are a lot of things that I would be limited in now because the body does not move as well as it did when I was younger. Still I am sure a certain amount would be very beneficial.

I had some time learning MMA type techniques way before I ever heard the term MMA. It was all very practical stop the fight quick, no dance or show, type stuff. It would not win me any points in a martial arts competition, but may someday buy me a few extra needed seconds. I still try to practice with a few friends and learn new techniques to practice as I can. I'm no where in the shape needed to even start formal training again. My cousin has gotten quite deep into the MMA scene and has even trained with one of the popular brazillian guys doing it here in the states. I'm from the school of bruce lee type flexibility in the structure of your fight and MMA seems to fall right into that classification. Keep us up on how it goes. Maybe you'll inspire some of us to get started or back into it. Have fun and good luck!!! :)

A buddy and I were both talking about wanting to get back in shape. Well, I was a decent wrestler through high school and he has 16 years worth of martial arts training in 4 different forms. So I made a comment that we should buy up some equipment and train. Next thing I know we are at Play it Again and Sports Authority buying up a heaver bag, and some equipment. We started last Monday training 3 days a week and it feels good! I figured its a win win situation, not only am I getting back in shape but it'll also give me one more avenue of defense if I ever find myself in a bad situation.

So any of you guys/gals train in any forms of martial arts?
I took Tang Soo Do (a variation on TKD) for a number of years, as well as some bujinkan and would be interested in practicing parkour, which is essentially the fine art of hauling ass, designed for use in an urban environment with many obstructions.

BJJ is very popular right now and it looks interesting, but one note is that ground fighting should be treated as a strict last resort. Ending up on the ground with an attacker means that you've committed yourself to the situation, particularly as you can't escape as easily as if you were standing up. Also, if your attacker has a buddy, then you had better either be very talented, or be able to dispose of your current opponent very quickly. While it's important to prepare for a ground situation, I'm not going to go there if I can resolve the situation more easily. Throat or head strikes from a standing position pose much less risk to me and get the job done more quickly.

yes I have trained in 8 styles, most of them privately, but a few in a school with belts... I am a black belt and used to have my own karate school. I still train and stay conditioned. great way to train the body and the mind!

Ahhh...

GOOD DAYS HK!! ACTUALLY THE WERE GREAT DAYS!! IT WAS FUN, IT WAS ALOT OF WORK, THOUGH.AND WE LEARNED ALOT OFGOOD, PRACTICAL STUFF......:icon_smile:

GOOD DAYS HK!! ACTUALLY THE WERE GREAT DAYS!! IT WAS FUN, IT WAS ALOT OF WORK, THOUGH.AND WE LEARNED ALOT OFGOOD, PRACTICAL STUFF......:icon_smile:

Ya I was surprised at how winded you can get going to town on the heavy bag. But man does it feel good! Specially after a long day at work. :icon_smile:

Bussey approached Hatsumi and *asked* for his black belt back in the 80's. Hatsumi gave him one. (Think asking someone for a belt for your pants and they give you one to hold your drawers up)

His relation to the Bujinkan is spotty at best and his own style of training hasn't had the best reviews over the years.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back