SR45 Mag

MHRDeadhead

After doing some online research, I've gotten nowhere with a concern that I have about my Ruger SR45. When I seat a loaded mag with an above normal level of force, the slide will release and load a round into the chamber. An empty mag will NOT release the slide when "slammed" into the pistol. Is this typical behavior for the SR45? A friend who has a Ruger SR9 tried to duplicate the same scenario with his gun, but it didn't release the slide. My M&P 40c does NOT do this if I "slam" the mag home, either. The gun performs normally in all other aspects. Hoping that I don't have to send my SR back to Ruger or to a gunsmith, but I have a feeling that something is amiss.

Not sure on the SR45, but have seen/read that some pistols are made to do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

After emailing Ruger directly, I was told by the "technician" that this a design feature of the SR45. Whether that's their just generic response or it's genuinely true, remains in debate.

Trucker: Sure would be helpful in a firefight!

My Smith and Wesson M&P45c will do the same thing if you slam the magazine in with enough force but from what I've been told this is not a "design feature" but rather an intentional malfunction caused by inserting the magazine with excessive force. The reason it won't close on an unloaded magazine is the follower keeps the slide release from, well, releasing.

As I was puzzled by this action, I tried it on my M&P40c and it did not release the slide. I'm fairly new to the semi-auto scene so I was taken by surprise (and so was my instructor) when this happened. Now that I'm aware of the condition, I can make sure that I don't seat the mag with excess force. Unless I'm in that training mode, that is.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back